PDA

View Full Version : 8703e Redirector Question

flake
01-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi all. New to the Black Berry world (recent Treo convert :razz: ). So far I'm loving the BB, but some little quirks with the redirector are confusing me. FYI, this is a Sprint device.

On my Treo, when I read an email in outlook, it reflected that on the phone, and vice versa. With the BB redirector, I have to "read" both my inbox and on the phone. I can't find a setting anywhere that tells either device that the message has been read. Also, the Desktop Redirector isn't seeing my outlook calendar (i had a meeting an hour ago, and my desktop popped up with it, but the BB did not).

I'm sure these are easy questions ( I did do some searching, sorry if this is a repost), but I'm totally noob to the BB (the UI is a huge difference than the treo) and I need a bit of help.

Thanks very much in advance,

Flake (y)

flake
01-25-2007, 12:38 PM
I saw one post where a guy had Calendar issues, but the responded post never was answered. I'm working off Outlook on an exhange server (the company uses Cingular older model blackberrys on Enterprise, I opted to buy one and tack it on to my sprint account b/c i didnt want to change numbers).

gziz
01-25-2007, 12:58 PM
redirector only redirects email, now wireless reconcile or attchment viewing or wireless sync of PIM databases.

since you have a exchange server (i assume since you user redirector) then just download th efree BES express which will give you all these options and more.

flake
01-25-2007, 04:16 PM
redirector only redirects email, now wireless reconcile or attchment viewing or wireless sync of PIM databases.

since you have a exchange server (i assume since you user redirector) then just download th efree BES express which will give you all these options and more.

Great, thanks! I had noticed I couldnt view attachments either. I will give this a shot 8-)

flake
01-25-2007, 08:05 PM
I didnt realize what the BES was until i began installing it. I work for a corporation of almost 1500 employees, with a centrally maintained BlackBerry Enterprise server. While I have a blackberry, it is a personal phone which I use to access emails (i wanted to use mine with my service, not cingular). I tried installing but the BES looks like something that needs to go on the actual server, not my XP machine.

What is out there that can sync my contacts/email/calendar, just as desktop redirector does so well?(with the added functionality). I used Sprint BizConn for my Treo and it worked flawlessly with contacts, calendar, everything!

DKatman
01-25-2007, 10:29 PM
If this was my work, I would have you locked out from even being able to install the redirector.

At the same time, it benefits the company to have you on their BES. I would inquire with them as to whether that is possible.

We have service for the users hooked up through T-mobile. I also have SEVERAL users who have their own BlackBerries. I am happy to add them to our server (there is a license involved). You would have to make sure that you have enterprise service involved in your data plan. There are a few companies that have one price. I know there is a $10 difference in plans with T-mobile.

Also, there are third party companies that provide the Server service. You would ahve to make sure that your company's email and account are accessible to it.

Good Luck,

Dave

flake
02-06-2007, 09:52 AM
If this was my work, I would have you locked out from even being able to install the redirector.

Well, it's not. We all have admin rights to our computers (and each others shares, as well). I work in IT (not IT for my company, but the field itself) and need that level of access.

At the same time, it benefits the company to have you on their BES. I would inquire with them as to whether that is possible.

Possible, but not allowed. No personal devices are allowed on the company's BES. I've checked.

We have service for the users hooked up through T-mobile. I also have SEVERAL users who have their own BlackBerries. I am happy to add them to our server (there is a license involved). You would have to make sure that you have enterprise service involved in your data plan. There are a few companies that have one price. I know there is a $10 difference in plans with

Also, there are third party companies that provide the Server service. You would ahve to make sure that your company's email and account are accessible to it.

Good Luck,

Dave

I'm new to this blackberry thing but I'll tell you- If I would have known this email setup with wireless reconciliation and calendar sync was such a pita, I would have kept my Treo. I do like the BB, but with my Treo, I used an app that came with it and everything syncd in realtime, regardless if it were plugged into my desktop or 8 states away. No server configuration, no asking IT to hook my device on their network. It just worked.

Guess I'll keep looking for some setup like you mentioned that will redirect my emails and reconcile them, sync my calendar, contacts, and to-dos (all of which my treo did with no configuration). Thanks(y)