PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't recognize number in addressbook for incoming calls!!!

dickreuter
01-27-2007, 05:18 AM
When somebody calls me on my Perl 8100 the blackberry shows the number but does not recognize it in the addressbook and doesn't show me the name of the persion calling!

An example: when I'm in england and I get a call from 079123456789 it shows me that number on the screen. In my adressbook however I put in the number in the format of +4479123456789, and the blackberry is too stupid to see that this is the same number!
When I leave away the +44 then everything works fine, but then whenever I travel abroad I'd have to enter the number manually, so the only way to get this right is to fix the software problem of the Perl!

I think this is quite a critical lapse in this product. Does anybody know when there will be a solution to it?

many thanks
Nicolas

jamiejjb
01-27-2007, 07:22 AM
I had the same concern and like an idiot changed all my contacts numbers to 07976xxxxxx, but then all sms messages where unrecognizable, in the end I painfully went through my contacts an put the same number in twice one starting +447976xxxxxx and the other 07976xxxxxx. Poor really I have had it three days and the roller ball only works three directions too left, right and down. But I can battle it out till the Iphone gets here

NJBlackBerry
01-27-2007, 07:36 AM
Not so sure the BlackBerry is too stupid in this case - or even the Pearl...

Try this - Go to >Phone >Options >Smart Dialing and make sure your country code is entered. By putting 44 in there is should make your BlackBerry "smarter".

dickreuter
01-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks very much. This seems to be working indeed. But whenever I travel abroad I'll have to change the settings there and tell my BB where I am.

Amazing that such a products finds it way to the market... Nokia solved these kind of problems 5 years ago. Looks like RIM didn't test their product at all!

NJBlackBerry
01-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Have you ever tried it out of the country or are you assuming things? You change it to your home country. At least it has actually worked that way for me all over the world.

Perhaps the BlackBerry isn't really smart enough for you. Perhaps.

dickreuter
01-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Indeed, I'm just in Switzerland at the moment and I do have to switch it to +41 for that everything works fine. When I leave it at +44 it doesn't recognize anything. Looks like it's indeed not smart enough.