PDA

View Full Version : Dual SIM cards (both active) - utopia?

ph0enix
01-27-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm one of those idiots who carry a blackberry (from my company/Cingular) and a phone (personal business/VZW). I need to keep both phone numbers and I would love the ability to integrate them into one device. I saw that some sites are selling dual SIM card holders for the BBs. My question is, can both SIM's be active at the same time so I can receive calls on both lines or do I have to switch between them? Do those holders even work at all?

Thanks! :)

b3n_asian_freak
01-27-2007, 01:16 PM
First of all, I think the dual SIM card just work one out of time, meaning that you can only have one active number. Moreover, since you said that you want to combine your cingular number and you verizon, it's not possible since Verizon uses CDMA technology and it does not come with a SIM card. Just now just have to carry two phones I think, I don't really see any solution...Hope this helps

ph0enix
01-27-2007, 01:29 PM
First of all, I think the dual SIM card just work one out of time, meaning that you can only have one active number. Moreover, since you said that you want to combine your cingular number and you verizon, it's not possible since Verizon uses CDMA technology and it does not come with a SIM card. Just now just have to carry two phones I think, I don't really see any solution...Hope this helps

Thanks for the info. So the VZW Blackberrys don't use SIM cards?
What if I manged to transfer my phone number from Verizon to Cingular (if I recall there is a law in NY that allows me to do that) and got another SIM card from them? Being able to switch between cards isn't great but it's a step in the right direction.

NJBlackBerry
01-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Verizon phones and BBs do not use SIM cards.

What dual SIM card holder have you seen for BlackBerrys?

mas90guru
01-27-2007, 01:36 PM
1. Call forward
2. youmail.com

NJBlackBerry
01-27-2007, 01:37 PM
1. Call forward
2. youmail.com
Huh?

b3n_asian_freak
01-27-2007, 04:06 PM
1. Call forward
2. youmail.com
Call forward is a good idea. I'm currently have the Pearl on T-Mobile and Treo 700w on Verizon and during the weekend, I usually have calls on Treo forwarded to the Pearl, that way I can leave one at home.
About youmail.com what I know it's a voice mail service but you can also access it from the internet. I'm not sure.
Call forwarding is a pretty good weekend solution where you just have to carry one device but still not miss any important call from work.
Thanks for the info. So the VZW Blackberrys don't use SIM cards?
What if I manged to transfer my phone number from Verizon to Cingular (if I recall there is a law in NY that allows me to do that) and got another SIM card from them? Being able to switch between cards isn't great but it's a step in the right direction.
I think there is thread somewhere in this forum that discussed about dual SIM card on Blackberry. I think they confirmed that it works but like I said, I think they only work one out of time so personally, I think call forwarding still be a better option because you will have two number being active at the same time.
Hope these info helps!

ph0enix
01-28-2007, 06:59 PM
1. Call forward
2. youmail.com

Thanks but that won't work. I need to be able to make calls from the personal number (and not abuse the company's calling plan for personal use).