PDA

View Full Version : Contact Syncing

smallville20
02-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Not sure if this can be done or not...

I currently sync (import only) my 8703e with my company's public contact list in Outlook 2003. My company has a policy that states that personal contacts are not allowed be added to this public contact list, as it is for company use only.

Is there a way that I can sync my device with a local contact list, as well as the public contact list, so I can have both company and personal contacts on my BB?

I would assume that this is common, right? Am I just overlooking the obvious?

Thank you so much for your time!

takeshi
02-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Are you syncing wirelessly or via USB cable? You can definitely choose what you're syncing to. If you're on BES then why aren't they using the GAL lookup for the public contact list?

KOR
02-07-2007, 09:38 AM
If you're syncing using Desktop Manager, yes, you can sync both lists without them becoming intermingled. If you're trying to do this wirelessly, you'll have to go to a third party app or kludge something together. At my company we copy the PF contacts to a user's personal contacts if they want both lists. It's a pain, but it works.

Also, as takeshi pointed out, you can do a lookup against your GAL. However, you will want to be sure that someone is keeping it up to date. I'm not sure that my company is typical, but we only use GAL to set up and manage network accounts, and put contact info in PFs. Also, if you have external contacts (vendors, etc.) in that PF, then GAL lookup is not going to be sufficient.

Hope that helps & Ciao

takeshi
02-07-2007, 09:52 AM
However, you will want to be sure that someone is keeping it up to date. I'm not sure that my company is typical, but we only use GAL to set up and manage network accounts, and put contact info in PFs. Also, if you have external contacts (vendors, etc.) in that PF, then GAL lookup is not going to be sufficient.
Good point -- not everyone is on Exchange and using the GAL or maintaining it...