PDA

View Full Version : being charged for using programs?

kankanman
02-09-2007, 09:10 AM
got a blackberry pearl but dont have any data plans, yet. at the moment i use progs like opera mini, blackberry maps, etc. just wondering am i being charged for using these progs although i dont have a data plan?

Reverend Beavis
02-09-2007, 09:15 AM
I didn't think it was even possible to use those programs without a data plan.

Concept
02-09-2007, 09:16 AM
you can't use data on a blackberry if you don't have a blackberry data plan. If your using these programs already you probably have the BB data add on and don't know it.

xyrcncp
02-09-2007, 09:22 AM
you can't use data on a blackberry if you don't have a blackberry data plan. If your using these programs already you probably have the BB data add on and don't know it.
Correct. Opera Mini especially won't work if you have no data.

kankanman
02-09-2007, 10:52 AM
im on tmobile. im pretty sure i dont have the blackberry data plan.

i called customer service right when i got the phone to see why i didnt have a browser and they told me i needed BIS. i opted not to get the plan bc i wouldnt need it.... yet anyways.

i read some threads and a sticky where someone said they could use opera mini without being on a blackberry plan. so i downloaded it, changed apn or whatever and it worked. so i was just wondering if im being charged for internet usage

DreamAngele
02-09-2007, 10:55 AM
The only people that would know for sure is T-Mobile. If you have billing questions I would call customer service and talk to them.

Blackberries don't work very well without the data plan. I'd just get the plan and then you don't have to worry about it.

goaliemn
02-09-2007, 02:32 PM
You'd better hope you have a data plan.. or you'll be paying per KB you've been using and it won't be cheep :(

JSanders
02-09-2007, 02:59 PM
You can look online or call TMO customer service, they'll tell you real quick if you have a BDP, or how much usage charges you're racking up.

I'm wondering--is this your account or a parents account?

SanFrancisco
02-09-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm on tmobile. I'm pretty sure i don't have the blackberry data plan.

i called customer service right when i got the phone to see why i didn't have a browser and they told me i needed BIS. i opted not to get the plan bc i wouldn't need it.... yet anyways.

i read some threads and a sticky where someone said they could use opera mini without being on a blackberry plan. so i downloaded it, changed apn or whatever and it worked. so i was just wondering if I'm being charged for Internet usage

Like others have said, you better call T-Mo and ask them exactly what you have.

Also have them look at your current usage to determine if you have incurred some "per use" charges. This is better than simply asking what plan you have.

And I would call on your cell phone so you have some evidence that you called. Companies are notorious in denying people have called if records of a call will hurt them. Also ask that they specifically enter on the computer that you called and what was discussed.

You might as well try out the $20 unlimited data plan. You are NOT bound by any term on such, you can try it out for a few months, if you don't like it you can cancel it without penalty.

Lastly, you can create an on line account with T-Mo. Once doing that you can log in and check your plan, make changes, and even look at current billing period activity such as calls made. Besides, most of the info that in online is the same as that which the CSR looks at when you call. So might as well do it yourself.

kankanman
02-09-2007, 03:58 PM
You can look online or call TMO customer service, they'll tell you real quick if you have a BDP, or how much usage charges you're racking up.

I'm wondering--is this your account or a parents account?

its my account.

forgot about my online account. just checked it. i dont have a blackberry data plan. didnt see any "per usage" charges. nor anything specifying internet related, bandwith costs. i guess i have to call to make sure. (i hate doing this bc im hold for long periods of time listening to stupid music)

kankanman
02-09-2007, 04:00 PM
You'd better hope you have a data plan.. or you'll be paying per KB you've been using and it won't be cheep :(

i rarely have used it or plan to use it.

jw out of curiosity, whats the rate per kb at tmo?

TheBigNewt
02-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Tmo does not charge by the mb/kb in the US. They charge by the month ($20 unlimited). I'd say you're being allowed to use the data network in error by Tmobile. Keep a copy of your user agreement handy. They'll probably figure out their probable error and cut you off eventually. If your agreement truly says you aren't paying for data (only voice) and you're getting data and email maybe keep your mouth shut and just pay your bill!

kankanman
02-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Tmo does not charge by the mb/kb in the US. They charge by the month ($20 unlimited). I'd say you're being allowed to use the data network in error by Tmobile. Keep a copy of your user agreement handy. They'll probably figure out their probable error and cut you off eventually. If your agreement truly says you aren't paying for data (only voice) and you're getting data and email maybe keep your mouth shut and just pay your bill!

great advice :smile: