PDA

View Full Version : BB 8700 Broken Microphone - AGAIN ??

Jamespl
02-09-2007, 09:21 AM
I have the BB 8700 and for the second time the microphone has gone out. I can receive and hear calls but my voice can't be heard. The phone is NOT on mute.

This is the second time in 6 months this has happened The previous phone had to be returned.

Is there a setting or switch that I can re-set ?? ..... or it it truly broken again.

Has anyone experienced this ? any fixes ??

JSanders
02-09-2007, 10:31 AM
James, while it is entirely possible you got two bad units in a row, it is too much of a coincidence. Question--are you using the built in microphone in the Blackberry? If yes, and that is the one that does not work now, have you tried using a wired or bluetooth headset/micophone to see if that works?

Doing that might truly help troubleshoot the problem and narrow down if its a software problem or built-in mic problem.

Jamespl
02-09-2007, 11:40 AM
good question.

An earpeice or bluetooth work fine, without either, no microphone.

James

mdweisen
02-17-2007, 04:14 PM
I just had the same thing happen as I was coming through an airport. I'm 99% sure the x-ray machine didn't harm it, but perhaps it got bumped around going through?

Same thing for me... internal microphone is dead, works fine with wired or bluetooth headsets.

Anyone else?

Jimmy Char
02-18-2007, 05:54 AM
I have had 2 BB and the result is the same, the microphone is too bad however on any headset it works so I am using only the wireless headset

JayJ
02-19-2007, 09:42 AM
The 8100 does the same thing from time to time, make sure you have the latest handheld version, if so reload with App loader.. good luck!

jetspeedz
02-19-2007, 12:53 PM
The same thing happened to my Mic.. but it was my fault..

First the design of the Mic is very poor so be very careful if you handle it.. i was replacing my case when i tried to pop the mic out when the 2 Tiny and i mean tiny gold contact pins poped out... i manged to find one and tried it but no luck...

best bet is to buy another one if you can find one... i didnt.... or you can buy a broken bb off ebay and swap or just replace the entire unit... for me replacing the unit was not an option so i found a broken bb and swapped it...

Also there are 2 version of the mic... Rim improved the old version but the new one with the metal flex contacts is not any better if you ask me...

good luck

ShaynePierce
02-23-2007, 06:09 PM
I had the same problem. I went to Radio Shack to see if they had the right screwdriver tip. The guy there said, "let me help you out." We opened the darn thing, cleaned what we thought were the contact points and srewed it back together. Of course no improvement. I swear, I did not see any tiny gold pieces fall out, but it is clear that they are not there now. I assume one would go in the very center and the second would go in one of the outside holes. Can you confirm? And is there anything short of the original tiny gold pieces that would do it?

ShaynePierce
03-16-2007, 12:44 PM
I fixed my 8700 by replacing the microphone with one from a broken 8100. It works great. My friend dropped his 8100 and toasted the LCD. He was going to toss the unit - so I took it apart to see if the microphone would work in my broken 8700 - fit perfectly.