PDA

View Full Version : Unlocked Cingular in Singapore

Journeyman
02-09-2007, 10:36 PM
I'd appreciate any help possible with this. I recently bought an unlocked Cingular 7100g from a (reputable) US seller for my wife. I have not yet activated her GPRS/Data subscription but when I put my ordinary GSM SIM card into the 7100g to try the voice calling it does not seem to work. Pressing the green button does nothing.

There's a good GSM signal confirmed but just cant find a way to make a call.
The home page does differ from our Singapore Telecom supplied 7100g. It has an item called "Enterprise Activation" .

Any ideas?
Many thanks

I

finch
02-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Could be wrong but does Singapore not adhere to a different variation of GSM? Your 7100 may not be unlocked as sold? GPRS Data wont do anything for you, you need a BlackBerry Data Plan to have data functions on a BlackBerry.

Journeyman
02-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Could be wrong but does Singapore not adhere to a different variation of GSM? Your 7100 may not be unlocked as sold? GPRS Data wont do anything for you, you need a BlackBerry Data Plan to have data functions on a BlackBerry.

Thanks for the input. I'm not trying to use the data function yet. Just trying to make phone call with my own phone-only SIM inserted into the 7100g. The 7100g is quad-band so should work fine here. I'm connected to my mobile network OK but just cannot place a call. Pressing the green button from any screen should open a dialling window.
Regards

John Clark
02-09-2007, 11:53 PM
I've seen that happen before where the phone app quit responding. Try removing the battery and rebooting. If that doesn't work go to Options >Applications (if you don't see Applications then go to >Advanced Options >Applications) and make sure you see "Phone" in the list of installed applications. If it's there and still doesn't work after the reboot, then you may need to wipe and reinstall the OS.

Where did you get the phone? It's possible that if it's a used BB it could have been on a corporate BES that had the phone feature locked down. You can see if it has an IT policy on it by going to >Options >Security Options >General Settings and scrolling to the bottom. If you see anything referring to "IT Policy" and a time and date stamp then the BB has an IT Policy on it. You will need to remove the IT policy as it may be locking out the phone feature as well as other features.

Removing the IT policy involves reloading the OS too, so it's a bit involved. Here are the instructions for removing the policy.

Unlocking the Blackberry (http://blackberry.ig3.net/)

Journeyman
02-10-2007, 01:53 AM
John,
Thanks for trying to assist.

I've rebooted a couple of times but no change.

Under applicatons it has two lines "Blackberry 4.0.2 Core Applications" and "Blackberry 4.0.2 System Software Properties".
If I click on the first and select "Modules" from the Menu it has a long list of "net-rim_bb_addressbook 4,02. etc
and a one "net_bbapi_phone"

Applications/Security lists
Password: Disabled
Security Timeout: 2 mins
Lock handheld on holsterig; No
Content Protection: Disabled
Content Compression: Enabled
Services:
Desktop (my email adds)

Cant seem to see anything showing phone disabled.

Regards

John Clark
02-10-2007, 02:14 AM
"trying" to assist? Gee, thanks.

It sounds like you are missing a bunch of apps on your BB, including phone. You should have more than Core applications and System software. Fortunatly, it sounds as if you don't have an IT policy. (even if there was it wouldn't show what the policy is or what it prohibits or requires, just if there was one loaded on the phone.)

I recommend updating your software to the latest version and adding back what is missing during that process.

You're going to need to install the Desktop Manager Software on to your PC. Make sure the BB is not plugged in while installing the software. Get Desktop Manager here:

Desktop Manager 4.2 (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/req_4dot2.jsp)

Then download and intall the latest software for the 7100/7105 to your PC.
I think the latest version for the 7100 is from Bharti right now. Get it here:

Latest OS's for BB's (http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/58404-latest-operating-system-available-each-blackberry-device.html)

After both of these files are downloaded AND installed on your PC, delete the file "vendor.xml" (only the vendor.xml, nothing else) file located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.

Then plug in the BB, and run Desktop Manager. It should prompt you to update.

Make sure you check the boxes for everything you want installed on the BB, including "Phone."

Good luck.

John

Journeyman
02-10-2007, 02:35 AM
John
Had already tried that. I have the latest Destktop sware and also downloaded the latest OS for 7100g from Singtel here in Singapore. When I run the wizard for the OS update it finishes and asks if I want to open Desktop, which I did. When I click Application Loader there's no apps listed just a message "The Desktop Software does not have BB device software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contract your wireless admin etc etc.

How do I get the new OS to xfer?

Thanks!

Journeyman
02-10-2007, 02:43 AM
John
A further note. This BB has a main menu item "Enterprise Activity" so it does look like it must have been tied to a corporate and possibly no voice provided.

How can I delete the existing OS?
Tks

John Clark
02-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Please follow the instructions in the post above. You need to delete the vendor.xml file after installing the Desktop Manager and the OS package to your PC.

Then it will upgrade for you.

Enterprise Activation is always there "in case" you want to put it on a BES. Just hide the icon. It goes away after the BB is activated on a BES.

All of this has been posted many times on these forums.