PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Order BlackBerry 8800?

jyamani
02-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Hey guys,

Like most of you, I can't wait to get my hands on the new 8800. I couldn't resist so I googled for it. I found 2 websites that are taking pre-orders for this unit, but their description is what I don't trust.

Has anyone "pre-ordered" these units from anywhere? Does anyone know how reliable their descriptions are? They don't even mention GPS at all.

puremobile.ca/BlackBerry/BlackBerry-8800-Black-GSM-Phone

mobilecityonline.com/wireless/store/productdetail.asp?productid=22012

BryanHarig
02-11-2007, 11:43 AM
mobilecity is a reputable store. They have a brick and mortar location in Lower Manhattan.

I have never delt with puremobile.

I dont think the 8800 will be in short supply when it launches. Why preorder unless it will get you some extra discount?

jyamani
02-11-2007, 11:48 AM
I agree. I don't see any benefits on pre-ordering (from a price point of view), but then again, there's this little part of me who wants the 8800 in my hand THE DAY it comes out :)

They're claiming that their units will have WiFi, but no GPS. From what I understand, all units that will be rolled out on the 20th or later this month will have GPS but no WiFi - which is confusing the crap out of me. If they're claiming they'll have WiFi, then I'm certain it'll also have GPS.

Plus us T-Mobile folks have no choice but to get this unit unlocked from ebay or elsewhere, and I'm quite sure that the price will linger in the $550s if not more.

Sparkomatic
02-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Boy Genius reports that the retail (outright purchase) price will be $499. $100 less than mobilecity's price. Although, they are advertising it as an unlocked version.

I'm quite anxious to get this the day it comes out too. I just bought an 8700 so I'm contimplating returning/exchanging it for the 8800.

I bought a Treo 750 from Cingular and had a hard time buying it at the store cause they were trying to hold them for new activations. I get the feeling they're not as controlling with BB's at the store though. Just my hope that it won't be difficult walking into a store the day it comes out :)

greggebhardt
02-11-2007, 12:42 PM
I always go to the two local COMPANY Cingular stores and ask the person I know to let me know when the new phone comes in the door. They call me the second UPS delivers and I go and pick it up. If you want it the fastest, get it from your local company store.

jyamani
02-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Will a Cingular store allow me to buy a phone from them even though I'm not a Cingular customer?

The thing is that Cingular version will not have WiFi. Most of the unlocked phones that will be on ebay or other online retailers will have the WiFi version (or so I was told by sales rep from MobileCity).

I don't know how true this is, but it makes me want to purchase an unlocked one online just for the added WiFi.

archer6
02-11-2007, 05:28 PM
I always go to the two local COMPANY Cingular stores and ask the person I know to let me know when the new phone comes in the door. They call me the second UPS delivers and I go and pick it up. If you want it the fastest, get it from your local company store.

This is indeed the best way to go.

In addition, if you can build a good rapport with the Store Manager that becomes a real asset. In my case I just got lucky and happened to arrive one day when he was with the district manager, whom I happened to hit it off with and now I've got a couple of good solid contacts.

Cheers...

greggebhardt
02-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Will a Cingular store allow me to buy a phone from them even though I'm not a Cingular customer?

The thing is that Cingular version will not have WiFi. Most of the unlocked phones that will be on ebay or other online retailers will have the WiFi version (or so I was told by sales rep from MobileCity).

I don't know how true this is, but it makes me want to purchase an unlocked one online just for the added WiFi.

the two Cingular company stores I deal with would sell to anyone if you are willing to pay full price. They would not even care if you were with T-Mo! <vbg>

Sparkomatic
02-11-2007, 05:50 PM
You guys are lucky! Buying a phone retail at the stores around me in Orange County is like pulling teeth. I always get the run around when I go to get a phone.

Hey, did you guys see this on ebay?
eBay: NEW BLACKBERRY 8800 UNLOCKED PHONE (item 160084280803 end time Feb-20-07 17:19:58 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160084280803)

greggebhardt
02-11-2007, 06:35 PM
You guys are lucky! Buying a phone retail at the stores around me in Orange County is like pulling teeth. I always get the run around when I go to get a phone.

Hey, did you guys see this on ebay?
eBay: NEW BLACKBERRY 8800 UNLOCKED PHONE (item 160084280803 end time Feb-20-07 17:19:58 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160084280803)

Why would someone buy off eBay in an auction that ends on the day you can pick one up locally? I will bet it will sell for more that what you will pay at a Cingular store.

Sparkomatic
02-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Oh, I agree. I wouldn't buy it. Just thought it was funny to see it on ebay. And to see that the auction ends on the day it's supposed to be released :)

greggebhardt
02-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Oh, I agree. I wouldn't buy it. Just thought it was funny to see it on ebay. And to see that the auction ends on the day it's supposed to be released :)

Keep watching, before it is over there has got to be a scammer that will copy BG's images and try to sucker someone into buying! Lots of bad people on eBay but if you are careful, you can do well there.

9 days and counting down for the 8800!

Sparkomatic
02-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Shh!! That's what I was gonna do! lol

Brad00111
02-11-2007, 09:41 PM
the two Cingular company stores I deal with would sell to anyone if you are willing to pay full price. They would not even care if you were with T-Mo! <vbg>

Are you talking about a Cingular branded store, or is it an actual Corporate Store that you go to?

atuarre
02-11-2007, 10:31 PM
So the 8800 will be out on February 20th?

Sparkomatic
02-11-2007, 10:47 PM
So the 8800 will be out on February 20th?

That's the latest rumor...

atuarre
02-11-2007, 11:12 PM
That's the latest rumor...

Well someone just PIN message me the day it comes out, and I will leave the office to go pick up the phone.

jyamani
02-12-2007, 01:24 AM
Even if we pay $499 at the Cingular store to pick up the phone, we'll have to pay at least another $80 or so to unlock it.

This actually brings me to another thing -- Does anyone have a really good source for unlocking BlackBerry's? Especially someone who'd be able to unlock 8800? Any intel will be much appreciated!

scarecrow
02-12-2007, 02:00 AM
The 8800 is now on the Blackberry web site

walds11
02-12-2007, 04:55 AM
expensive from the first site you posted.

drater
02-12-2007, 05:32 AM
so its not gonna come out on tmobile...that stinks!!!! (n)

greggebhardt
02-12-2007, 08:00 AM
so its not gonna come out on tmobile...that stinks!!!! (n)

I seem to remember quite an "odor" when T-MO got the Pearl exclusive for 90 days. Yeah, it DID stick for us Cingular folks

untjoker
02-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Even if we pay $499 at the Cingular store to pick up the phone, we'll have to pay at least another $80 or so to unlock it.

This actually brings me to another thing -- Does anyone have a really good source for unlocking BlackBerry's? Especially someone who'd be able to unlock 8800? Any intel will be much appreciated!

Yes if someone can email me or PM me letting me know they in fact can have a Cingular 8800 unlocked the day it comes out I will have no problem paying $50-$75 to have it unlocked. Anyone? GSM Libery? any others/

BryanHarig
02-12-2007, 12:13 PM

You have some great stores in your area then. One of their stores in philladelphia banned me from the store for arguing with them about why they were refusing to sell me a full price phone. (I am not a cingular customer) I guess they thought I was overly persistent! :)

jyamani
02-12-2007, 12:15 PM
I just called 2 Cingular stores in Houston area and both of the reps had no idea when they were getting any units in. One of them actually said "You can never tell, it could be months".

I wish these reps had to read some forums online as a mandatory thing.

archer6
02-12-2007, 12:22 PM
I seem to remember quite an "odor" when T-MO got the Pearl exclusive for 90 days. Yeah, it DID stick for us Cingular folks

I'm sure you saw the press release. What I find interesting is the first thing they highlight is the new "tactile" keyboard.

Another interesting item is what the forum members have not noticed. :)

archer6
02-12-2007, 12:22 PM

I'm sure you saw the press release. What I find interesting is the first thing they highlight is the new "tactile" keyboard.

archer6
02-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Yes if someone can email me or PM me letting me know they in fact can have a Cingular 8800 unlocked the day it comes out I will have no problem paying $50-$75 to have it unlocked. Anyone? GSM Libery? any others/

Here is an easy solutuion I have used. When you go to the store & purhase the phone, tell them you are going to Europe on vacation & want to use the phone.

They unlocked mine for free :)

trojanman2422
02-13-2007, 04:15 PM
There are currently 3 8800s on eBay. Whether they are preorders or not is your best guess but it looks like demand is very high. One is already at $1,000!!. Whether they are legit or not doesn't really matter, it just shows you the kind of hype around this phone....

untjoker
02-13-2007, 05:28 PM

I have been wondering this too. I want to be able to walk into a Cingular store and just buy 8800 full retail price without a SIM card and without being a Cingular customer. Are they going to let me do this without any hassles? Is there anything special to say? I've done it before with Sprint and T-mobile but never Cingular/AT&T. If anyone has any info on how to best go about this, or if it's not tabboo then please let me know LOL>

greggebhardt
02-13-2007, 05:50 PM
I have been wondering this too. I want to be able to walk into a Cingular store and just buy 8800 full retail price without a SIM card and without being a Cingular customer. Are they going to let me do this without any hassles? Is there anything special to say? I've done it before with Sprint and T-mobile but never Cingular/AT&T. If anyone has any info on how to best go about this, or if it's not tabboo then please let me know LOL>

If you go to a "company Cingular store" (not an authorized dealer at the mall) you sholuld have no trouble. If you are willing to pay full retail price, they will seel it to you. Sim cards are not included with Cingular phones so this will not be an issue.

The only carrier who will not sell you a phone, outright is Nextel, but even this may have changed as it is now Sprint WITH nextel.

greggebhardt
02-13-2007, 05:53 PM

I have seen the key board or key shape mentioned in one other forum. It is very interesting and looks like it will work well!

We all hope so!

greggebhardt
02-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Are you talking about a Cingular branded store, or is it an actual Corporate Store that you go to?

Got to be a Corp store. The authorized dealers "might" sell the phone outright but it will cost even more and they may elect NOT to sell it without a new plan. The biggest draw for these authorized dealers and the Corp store is to open new accounts. BUT, a corp store will sell the phone to any Cingular account holder. If not, ask to see the manager or ask for the number of the regional corp manager. I have heard of employees not wanting to sell a new phone outright but the manager should set them straight.

BryanHarig
02-13-2007, 06:01 PM
If you go to a "company Cingular store" (not an authorized dealer at the mall) you sholuld have no trouble. If you are willing to pay full retail price, they will seel it to you. Sim cards are not included with Cingular phones so this will not be an issue.

The only carrier who will not sell you a phone, outright is Nextel, but even this may have changed as it is now Sprint WITH nextel.

I think this varies with Store Managers, as I posted earlier in the thread I was told to leave and never return to a corperate cingular store after trying to buy a full price phone as a non customer.

Sparkomatic
02-13-2007, 06:26 PM
I haven't been told that before but last time I tried to buy a Treo 750 retail, I was told they couldn't sell it to me cause there was a waiting list and all were spoken for. They were only selling them for new activations. After he was able to do an early renewal, I was able to purchase. Wonder what happened to all those people on the 'waiting list'...hmmm... It's ridiculous and drives me crazy that they do this!