PDA

View Full Version : Storing MicroSD Chips INSIDE The Pearl

SanFrancisco
02-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Just a tip, on my Pearl using the standard OEM battery I would store three MicroSD chips inside a thin plastic envelope and lay that flat on top of the battery.

I would then remove the little square foam that sits in the middle of the battery cover.

Was a great way to carry three additional chips on the phone. You can store less than three, obviously.

Also, the chips acted as a good way to add pressure against the battery door, thereby making it a better fit [that is, you can do this in lieu of a folded business card or whatever].

On my Seidio extended battery [which I use exclusively now] there is no room between the battery and the cover within which to place the chips. But I discovered that there is a little space that allows me to store up to two chips, coincidentally right above the Pearl's MicroSD slot. See pic.

Just some thoughts.

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/bpseidioextchipstore.jpg

ChrisBenson
02-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Good tip! I am gonna try that with mine now as I have 2 MicroSD cards for my Pearl.

:::CB:::

Steve
02-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Wirelessly posted (Cingular 8100 Pearl: BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Cool tip! Now, let's wire them in! :)

Steve

John Clark
02-12-2007, 12:25 PM
...Now if you could only change the card without removing the battery.

canonbomb1987
02-12-2007, 12:43 PM
...Now if you could only change the card without removing the battery.

I cant even think of a way to get around that. Unless the battery is cut abouve the microSD slot.

zimbu1234
02-12-2007, 01:56 PM
SF, what are the envelopes like? Did you make them or buy them?

SanFrancisco
02-12-2007, 03:33 PM
SF, what are the envelopes like? Did you make them or buy them?

Actually a pretty rare envelope. It's those thin little plastic sleeves that the old MMC chips used to come in [you know, those little wafer thin chips about the size of a large postage stamp, that flopped big time].

I have about 10 of those sleeves, so it was no big to cut em up.

You don't really need anything on top of the battery, you can just place the chip on top of it. It's not going to get damaged. Just remember that the chip in sitting on top of the battery when pulling the cover.

If you want to put the chips into something guess you could use one layer of Saran Wrap or a sandwich baggie. But I would not bother, the chip is well protected under the cover.

And of course if the phone is ever dropped and the cover comes off, get ready to look for that chip as if it is a contact lens.:oops:

ThereIsNoBall
02-13-2007, 01:00 AM
You might be able to go with one of those soft plastic sleeves you put baseball cards in.... that is if kids these days still buy baseball cards.

John Clark
02-13-2007, 01:01 AM
What's a baseball card?

sleeper92
02-13-2007, 05:47 PM
tape the chip to the battery

kurrupt_1
02-13-2007, 05:56 PM
I thought I saw a site that sells a real thin film that connects to the SD slot and the external portion you can plug in/out your SD card. But if I recall correctly this was for a dual SIM card issue that it was used for. Same concept though.

backbeat
02-13-2007, 06:12 PM
What's a baseball card?
Maybe you know it better as a baseball chip. :razz:

berryboy123
02-14-2007, 10:18 AM
good one m8 - will try on my phone too - have two more micro sd cards

bigwillokc
02-14-2007, 11:53 AM
You can buy extremely small plastic envelopes at any head shop. They have many sizes from about 1/2" x 1/2" on up and they are like 10 cents apiece. I only know this because I use them for collecting stamps :S

phidauex
02-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Yes, I too use those tiny plastic bags from the head shop for... Collecting stamps.

You can buy big bags of them, or just a few. They are like a tiny zip-lock bag. Perfect for storing little valuable things you don't want to loose. Like... Stamps. Or... Jewelry. Or.. SD cards.

"Excuse me sir, I'd like to buy a few tiny plastic baggies for storing microSD cards."

"Right on man, storing microSD cards, thats awesome man, I got ya man, I hear you loud and clear, got some little baggies right here man, for storing your cards, and your.. whatever. You know! Man! Yeah! That'll be 40 cents."

-sam

nigletsyz
02-14-2007, 01:19 PM
i lol'd

Tixxx
02-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Trip to the Head Shop is always a good time