PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation on blackberry or other device...

Paladyr
02-12-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm looking for help deciding what device to get. At work, we use BES. Right now I have a 7230, and using sharkmodem for tethering is somewhat of a pain. It won't let me download files (even small ones) and also some large web pages. The things that are important to me are:

1. Tethering (I want to be able to do everything I could do with a regular internet connection, ftp access, downloading files, etc...)
2. Cell phone - Would like it to sound pretty clear, and also like speakerphone.
3. Would like pocket excel or equivalent (not an absolute requirement).

I think we can choose from Cingular, T-Mobile, and Verizon. I don't really care about having broadband speeds, it just has to allow me to do anything I need it to do. Thanks!

mark0341
02-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Wirelessly posted (BLACKBERRY 8703e (ALLTEL): BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106)

I can speak only about CDMA never a had a GSM phone. So VZW and the 8703e are the way to go. VZW has a tethering plan. Be aware the GPS is disabled unless something has changed. However you can get a Bluetooth GPS Puck as a work around.

I love my 8703e on Alltel. :-)

takeshi
02-12-2007, 10:03 PM
I don't recommend Cingular as a carrier for tethering. You may or may not get it to work without a ~$70 Blackberry tethering data plan but with the plan is the only guaranteed way to get it working.

kasperapd
02-12-2007, 10:54 PM
I have been using T-Mobile and they allow you to tether for free, but EDGE speeds aren't nearly as good as Verizon's EVDO when tethering. It comes down to who has good coverage where you are, and how much do you want to spend. T-Mobile on BES w/free tethering is $29.99 with voice plan, and Verizon on BES w/paid tethering is $59.99 with voice plan.

John Clark
02-13-2007, 01:44 AM
I used my TMo Pearl with an EDGE connection at the DFW airport the other day. It worked quite well. I was very surprised. I was able to surf this forum with ease (and it's generally a little slow loading.)

Overall, I am quite pleased with the tethering speeds of EDGE. The fact that TMo doesn't charge extra.... (y)

The Phone is very clear and speakerphone works great.

Go for the Pearl! It's an mp3, video/movie player, USB thumb drive (with an SD card), BES email, BIS email, Phone, electric shaver, and the built in toenail clippers work great! Ok, so maybe not the last two but you get the idea.

Paladyr
02-16-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm thinking that T-Mobile is definitely the provider I should go with. I just have to decided if the pearl is worth the extra $$$ over the 7290. Thanks for the info!

John Clark
02-16-2007, 01:08 PM
That's easy! Pearl by a mile! Well worth it!

DigitalNY
02-16-2007, 01:20 PM
If your going to go with the pearl check out wirefly.com for your purchase. This isn't an advertisement, just an idea since I got my pearl there the other day for $99 with $100 rebate. The pearl is $149 after rebate through T-Mobile.

This is dependant on a new line of service and it does bind you into a 2yr contract with T-Mo and you agree to a Wirefly contract not to change plans to a lesser plan or disco within the first 6 months. So I would go with the minimum as far as voice minutes go because you can always move up, but not down.

Considering the savings you could use the money you save and get a copy of eOffice which would give you editors for Word/Excel/Etc..

Just my $0.02