PDA

View Full Version : WM 5 to BB 8703e

ypwandrews
02-12-2007, 05:56 PM
I am contemplating moving from my Dell Axim X51v to an AllTel 8703e. Would anyone who has made the jump from WM/Palm to a BlackBerry share their experience and/or pros and cons of making the switch? I have until June when my current contract expires and I'm eligible for the upgrade price on handsets. Half the fun is in the research anyway. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dodge DeBoulet
02-13-2007, 09:00 AM
I switched PIM and email functionality from an Axim X51v to an 8703e on Verizon. I was using the Ax tethered with my Moto E815 (not quite in compliance with Verizon's TOS, but I wasn't a particularly heavy user).

The difference in productivity has been simply mind boggling. Futzing around with the Axim and Pocket Outlook to read and respond to email was a pain, since I rely on POP/SMTP and not Exchange (plus, since I carried the Ax in a RhinoSkin, I couldn't attach my Belkin ThumbBoard, so typing with the on-screen keyboard was torture). Setting up the BB for my POP accounts was a snap, and it's just so much more convenient to use.

I still carry the Ax with me when I travel, primarily for entertainment (movies/tv shows on SD) and GPS (GlobalSat BT338 puck; works with BlackBerry Maps too!).

ypwandrews
02-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the info. That's the same setup I have currently and you're right, it's a hassle to use email. Anyone else??

brucejr
02-13-2007, 11:09 AM
You deff wont be dissapointed.(y) I have had several WM5 platform phones (and WM PDA's before they went to the phones) and the BB has been the most stable platform I have used (including Palm). WM5 only advantage (in my opinion) is that you can automatically view, edit, and create with the WM Word, Excel, and PP.(y) For my BB I have the DocHawk program (1 year subscription) to view the attachments I receive. Contstant problem with my WM devices where numerous crashes, and freezes.(n) Also the WM platform applications gobbled up a lot of memory.

C Merchant
02-13-2007, 04:15 PM
I'll second all these.

I used a X51v for quite a while before moving to the BlackBerry (with many other device in between). I tethered via bluetooth to my Axim from a Samsung A900 (Blade) on Sprint.

Let me tell you- the system as a whole was a huge hassle. Granted, there was ONE thing I liked about it all- having my pretty-boy phone and my workhorse in separate devices allowed me to change from 'work' to 'casual' just by dropping the Axim off at home/office. With my BlackBerry- I can't do that anymore, it's all self-contained.

But the benefits outweigh the risks/harm by far- I can't imagine life without my push e-mail now, I don't miss the touchscreen a BIT (ever been in a moving car, trying to push that little 1cm square button for 'whatever function'? Yeah- it's a pain. With my 8700, scroll down via wheel- and click. Simple.

I think, if you're in search of a 'power toy (notice, toy)' then you will adore your WM5 devices until you die- but if you need functionality, and a much less buggy OS, the BlackBerry is for you.

I've been preaching it's gospel for the technology centric to hear, non stop.

;)

Chris

cjmac49
02-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Had to move from a BB 7250 to a Mot Q. Hated WM5 - like the Q as a phone. No memo (notes) sync. No distribution groups. Difficult setup for additional mail boxes. No choice when deleting emails - delete on WM5 automatically deleted on BES. Poor battery life, miserable battery life. Begged, pleaded, cried and whined to get a new BB. I now have a 8703e and I am happy again. You won't be sorry.

DaBlackberryBoy
02-14-2007, 08:35 PM
I owned a Torq P120 (WM5) and loved the apps that WM5 provides with its GUI, but I was in need of something where I did not always have to soft reboot, and found that the BB was for me. Plus even though some of the apps for BB are not eye candy, they serve a purpose and get the job done, and that is something that I know that I can count on from my BB. My 2 cents.

bukwit
02-16-2007, 09:30 AM
It really is horses for courses...i love both my wm5 devices and my BB8700g...I find time for both as they work differently in their own way.

ypwandrews
02-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Well, thanks for all the responses. I ordered my AllTel 8703e on Monday and should have it by the 6th of March. Thanks to the buffer for renewing contracts I don't have to wait until June after all. I ordered a BoxWave screen protector, RIM case and car charger, and found finance/expense software so I should be all set. Now I just have to have patience 'till it arrives, which is going to be difficult!