PDA

View Full Version : i know theres a bunch of softwear mods but are there any hardware mods?

xXSilentScreamXx
02-12-2007, 11:39 PM
besides coloring the led? and dremeling your case?

GrayPenguin
02-13-2007, 12:04 AM
You can always take the coloring the led mod to the extreme and actually switch the white and blue (red, green) leds. Another mod I was thinking of was to take off the 2.5" jack, since I never use it for a headset or whatever, and replace it with a 3.5" jack, since I listen to music a lot more. It shouldn't be all that hard. You would just need to figure out which contacts are for sound and which are for other data. Then just solder the 3.5" jack to the sound ones and dremel a little bigger hole in the case. I haven't actually looked to see what might be blocking the way in the inside of the case though...maybe a project for tomorrow. Anyway that's the only feasable hardware mod I can think of right now that would actually be useful.

I guess some not-necessarily-useful ones would be swapping the mini usb port for a full sized one, and taking out the photocell that controls the backlight and putting a potentiometer there instead.

xXSilentScreamXx
02-13-2007, 12:31 AM
How would I change the leds and can I replace them with brighter ones and what did you want to replace the photometer with?

GrayPenguin
02-13-2007, 01:20 AM
You'd need some pretty decent soldering skillz to switch the leds. I wouldn't switch them with brighter ones, since i don't know the specs on the ones in there. I would just switch the white one with one of the other 3 leds around the trackball. To see which color is which look at SanFran's post about coloring the leds and look at the one pic he has of them all lit up. That is NOT something you want to attempt if you dont have a few years of soldering practice. I know my limits, i won't be attempting a switch.

I wanted to replace the photocell with a potentiometer, which is the thing that, for example, the gameboy had to adjust volume. Ha that's the only thing i can think of off the top of my head...it's late. Also known as a variable resistor if that helps.