PDA

View Full Version : NYTimes article about the 8800

slapshotw
02-13-2007, 04:16 AM
"Not having a camera is a feature"

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/13/technology/13rimm.html?th&emc=th

tsac
02-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Most company do not want employees with camera phones for security.

takeshi
02-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Yup. Don't forget that there are millions of government & company-deployed devices out there and many companies & government facilities have such restrictions in place.

tankee531
02-13-2007, 07:46 PM
RIM should release a full qwerty keypad bb device with camera to satisfy the "small minority" group of users.

Brad00111
02-13-2007, 11:12 PM
RIM should release a full qwerty keypad bb device with camera to satisfy the "small minority" group of users.

They will, next 88XX release should have the 2MP camera in it.

bigjay8510
02-14-2007, 12:16 AM
rim is not stupid they know who they are marketing to. yes some of us have a bb and would like a camera and our jobs allow us to. for example im a college student with bb and i wish i had a camera. but a no camera should not make bb user switch to another phone. soon i believe we will see 2 versions of bb models a camera and a non camera.

tprime
02-14-2007, 12:39 AM
If no camera is a feature I guess this is not the BB I've been waiting for. I dont use my BB for work. I was looking for a qwerty pearl with wifi and gps.

tankee531
02-14-2007, 01:27 AM
They will, next 88XX release should have the 2MP camera in it.

I hope you are right and that they will release it soon

RIM should adopt other mobile makers' marketing approach, announce & showcase up coming models months ahead of actual release.

joe allen
02-14-2007, 07:32 AM
RIM should adopt other mobile makers' marketing approach, announce & showcase up coming models months ahead of actual release.

i am sure that is to keep the competition from releasing their new blackjack, blackbetty, blacksnake, blackbean, or any other "i wish i was a blackberry" phone at the same time. it seems like they "leak" just enough info to get people talking and then it is just a guessing game on features and release dates.

greggebhardt
02-14-2007, 08:57 AM

And I am sure they will. If you were RIM and were about to introduce the non-camera version, would you also be talking about the one that will have a camera? Give me a break, RIM does know what they are doing. The camera unit will be introduced but not till they get the non-camera model out and selling.

I do think the RIM marketing people know way more than we do and the company is really doing quite well $$$$$$$$$!

greggebhardt
02-14-2007, 09:00 AM
I hope you are right and that they will release it soon

RIM, as a company is doe WAY better than the "other mobile makers" so we must think they know what they are doing. Remember that RIM is a company who has got to make a profit. It would be shooting itself in the foot to showcase another product just before you brought out the 8800.

pinhead
02-14-2007, 09:22 AM
Yes children...NOT having a camera is a wonderful feature!

When I get to the courthouse I cannot bring anything with a camera. Nothing. That means that if my Blackberry has a camera and I want to enter, I must leave the phone in the car, which is really bad if there is a change in plans. It is not as if I will only be in the build for a half hour...I'll be there for a few hours and that means missing any calls or messages for all of that time. Not good!

Most of the attorneys I know who do not use Blackberries have a second phone that they use just for this type of situation since it is nearly impossible to find a good PDA phone without a camera (except for Blackberries). I don't know why people think that they need to have the ability to take a photo at all times but it limits those of use who actually use PDA phones for business to very few choices. Put the cameras on the kiddie phones and give business users a break!!

joe allen
02-14-2007, 09:38 AM
it would be interesting to see RIM release a model that has two versions. one with a camera and one without and see which one sells more. then you would know how many people really don't want a camera on their device.

the point that they want to bring out the non-camera version first to get it selling instead of bringing out two versions of the same blackberry (one with and one without a camera) does not hold water. if companies or individuals really refuse to have cameras then they could just simply choose the version without one.

jetspeedz
02-14-2007, 01:54 PM
if the sales of Pearl taught Rim anything it was that there is also another group of users other then us corp guys who dont like cameras for security reasons which will make them release the 8800 with a cam eventually...

i dont know what the big deal is about a big 8800 with cam when you can get a pearl which is small and thin like most phones the non corp consumer likes these days... the camera option is really a small number of corp people who can use them and i think Rim knows this