PDA

View Full Version : Message Count?

amishjs
02-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Is there anyway to easily pull any message count stats off a blackberry?

I have some kind of a billing issue with cingular. They claim I sent 1100 text messages in my last billing cycle - a number which is WAY too high to be true - and I want to see if I can take a look at what my actual usage has been by going through my blackberry. Anyway to efficiently do this without counting one by one?

JSanders
02-13-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't know if this is possible... but are you running any Instant Message software? Some IM apps send/receive by SMS, and that could make your count a lot higher than you expect.

Raven
02-13-2007, 03:05 PM
In messages press alt+s and it will show all you sms messages in & out.

takeshi
02-14-2007, 09:28 AM
...ones that you haven't deleted anyway

amishjs
02-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Not running any IM-type software.

And yes, I'm aware of Alt+S. But I'm trying to get a count of a month's worth of text messages, so that doesn't help.

JSanders
02-14-2007, 10:07 AM
And yes, I'm aware of Alt+S. But I'm trying to get a count of a month's worth of text messages, so that doesn't help.

Well sure it "helps" you get an easier way to count, since you can avoid all non-SMS messages. While there is no counter on the unit that has been found, it is probably the best option available to you at this point.

On TMO, I can go online to my account, bill details, message details, and see time and date of every text I get or send and to which # it went/came. However, in your case, that is probably just the accounting you are wishing to dispute, so I am guessing you want to see the answer from your actual unit, not the carrier's billing statement.

ShaneToronto
02-15-2007, 02:39 PM
backup your unit then choose restore (through the desktop manager). When you choose restore it gives you a count breakdown of messages, sms, etc, etc and you can abort before it actually restores.
that's the only possible way that i can think of. and it only gives you a count of what is on your device at the time.

amishjs
02-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Shane-

Thanks a bunch for that tip! I was able to get exactly what I was looking for. (Well not exactly, since I can't differentiate between sent vs received messages, but I'll take what I can get...)