PDA

View Full Version : Shattered screen - how to wipe the berry?

Qwerty
02-13-2007, 03:32 PM
I recently had my 8700C get run over (dropped it, backed over it with car, doh!). Anyhow - the screen is toast, but the phone still works. I ordered a replacement 8700c from cingular (shoulda waited a month to get an 8800 - ah well). Anyhow - I went through the replacement software in the BB device manager, got my new phone working just like my old.

So here's my question - how do you wipe out the memory of a phone with no screen? I figure I'd ask here before i do what I think will work best - whack the hell out of it with a big hammer.

thanks in advance -

d_fisher
02-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Try using BBScreenStream (search forums) to see what should be displaying on your BlackBerry. Wipe the device as you normally would.

supercat25
02-13-2007, 04:44 PM
You could also just running it through Application Loader, and select Advanced and you will see the option to remove all data and reload applications if needed.

Be sure to Uncheck the Backup and Restore option.

Qwerty
02-13-2007, 04:50 PM
I tried using screen streamer and it just didn't work too good for me (too much lag for some reason). Anyhoo - I used the javaloader and wipe.bat file from this post -

blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/17116-those-you-needing-quick-copy-javaloader.html

that worked awesome. I'm still gonna take a hammer to it tho!

Thanks -

Jase88
02-15-2007, 01:14 AM
Does the device have a password? If so, just type the wrong one 10 times....this will perform a wipe.

If you're on a BES, have the admin send a kill command to the device.

takeshi
02-15-2007, 08:52 AM
It would be tricky to incorrectly enter the password without the screen as it will ask you several times to type "blackberry" and it won't mask what you're typing so you cna confirm that the keyboard is functioning properly (and that you don't have NUM or ALT lock engaged).