PDA

View Full Version : Telenav on the 8800

chris716
02-21-2007, 10:06 AM
i just got telenav on my 8800 and it is off the chain. I love it so much the turn by turn voice comands. i live in downtown chicago and have already found that to be so useful i needed to find an address i just input it in the thing and bam it started telling me what i had to do. It is amazing.

underskybb
02-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Sounds like it works as a consumer GPS: You enter destination, then it will take you from where you are. Great! Here are some questions.

1. Do you have to know the whole address? If you just type for example, "division," will it give you option of N Division St and S Division St? Or you have to enter exactly how it is?
2. Where do you place the phone when you are driving? Will that give you enough signal?
3. If you get lost, for example, instead of turning on State, you turned on LaSalle, will it then adapt to a new route?

bollar
02-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Sounds like it works as a consumer GPS: You enter destination, then it will take you from where you are. Great! Here are some questions.

1. Do you have to know the whole address? If you just type for example, "division," will it give you option of N Division St and S Division St? Or you have to enter exactly how it is?
2. Where do you place the phone when you are driving? Will that give you enough signal?
3. If you get lost, for example, instead of turning on State, you turned on LaSalle, will it then adapt to a new route?

1. If you just put in Division, it appears to present suggestions for several Division streets within the city -- I tried Division with Chicago, IL, and I got choices on E Division, W Division and just plain Division.

2. I leave it on the seat, or if the car I'm driving has a console where I can put it, I'll leave it there.

FWIW, I speculate that RIM is using the SiRFStar III GPS chipset, which is very sensitive. SiRF incorporates cell tower information in their solution and that allows for very fast cold starts as well as great performance with an unclear sky view.

3. Yes, it will recalulate the route once it detects you've missed it.

underskybb
02-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Wow thanks for the great info! I hope it works well in the congested skyscrapers area of Chicago

chris716
02-21-2007, 10:18 AM
as far as just typing a street without n or s and it knowing not sure because i have always just typed the address since ive know it or use the biz finder and selected place.

when im driving i just sit in the cupholder which is in the dash so its in perfect view for me while driving or sometimes i hold it.

For your other question the other day i was going down michigan ave and was suspose to turn on to wacker and i wasnt paying attention and missed turn and the gps adapted to that and gave me directions to where i had to go with no problems.

chris716
02-21-2007, 10:23 AM
i know my way pretty much through the whole downtown area since i live there i find myself using gps for places i go everday its crazy. Went to the grocery store 2 blocks away and used gps its like im addicted to this phone have to always be doing something with it

backbeat
02-21-2007, 10:26 AM
FWIW, I speculate that RIM is using the SiRFStar III GPS chipset, which is very sensitive.

Can't confirm, but I believe I've seen the spec state that it is SIRF III. However, SIRF III has been readily available for what ... maybe 2 years? Question really is ... Is it WAAS compliant which speeds the signal transmission and accuracy to within 3 meters?

Turboman93
02-21-2007, 10:28 AM
OK, I feel stupid now but I'm looking on Telenav's site and I only see support for the 8700c and the Pearl. Where did you get the Navigator for the 8800?

TIA.

-Shawn

bollar
02-21-2007, 10:29 AM
OK, I feel stupid now but I'm looking on Telenav's site and I only see support for the 8700c and the Pearl. Where did you get the Navigator for the 8800?

When you get to the download page, it automatically downloads the 8800 version if you do it OTA. Otherwise, you're right that it's not mentioned on the site.

chris716
02-21-2007, 10:29 AM
i had to put the link directly into my browser and it downloaded then it recongnizes it being an 8800 but it doesnt show support on their site even though it is i will post the link soon as i find it

chris716
02-21-2007, 10:31 AM
type this in your blackberry browser TeleNav (http://ota.telenav.com/ota/at)

chris716
02-21-2007, 10:32 AM
man i just typed it but it doesnt show up ill do it again i guess ota.telenav. com/ota/at well type that all in without the spaces

Turboman93
02-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the super fast responses guys! Doing that now.

SlamMan
02-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Any reason this wouldn't work on an unlocked 8800 on T-Mo?

underskybb
02-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Can't confirm, but I believe I've seen the spec state that it is SIRF III. However, SIRF III has been readily available for what ... maybe 2 years? Question really is ... Is it WAAS compliant which speeds the signal transmission and accuracy to within 3 meters?

Options > Advanced> GPS >
GPS Location:
Latitude: N...
Longtitude: W...
Fix Time: (time)
Number of Satellites: 6
Accuracy: 13.5m

So I guess, per your question, not.

bollar
02-21-2007, 10:37 AM

I would bet that there's no WAAS support, but the GSM-assisted cold start time is about 5-6 seconds and that's much faster than the best a non-GSM-assisted start (about 35 seconds).

The cheaper chips don't mention WAAS support, but there's a little information here: http://www.sirf.com/products/GSC3LTiProductInsert.pdf

chris716
02-21-2007, 10:37 AM
yes it will work on unlocked 8800 for tmo thats what im using right now.
for the accuracy it seems to vary on that screen ive had it down to like 3-4 meters before

backbeat
02-21-2007, 10:45 AM
I would bet that there's no WAAS support, but the GSM-assisted cold start time is about 5-6 seconds and that's much faster than the best a non-GSM-assisted start (about 35 seconds).

The cheaper chips don't mention WAAS support, but there's a little information here: http://www.sirf.com/products/GSC3LTiProductInsert.pdf

Cool. I believe WAAS can be incorporated into a firmware update, as it's been done before by some receiver mfrs. RIM could do the same ... possibly.

My interest would be in speed of signal as well as the improved accuracy since navigating downtown areas can require quick turns. I've got a non-WAAS compliant BT338 that gets a cold fix in under 10 seconds, as long as I'm not in a parking garage or the like.

SlamMan
02-21-2007, 10:51 AM
yes it will work on unlocked 8800 for tmo thats what im using right now.

Thanks. Have you come across any other drawbacks with the 8800 on T-Mo?

mzini
02-21-2007, 11:28 AM
chris716,

Once you did the over-the-air download onto your 8800 (which I just did), did you then just sign up for the subscription on telenav.com? Or did you go through Cingular?

I was hoping that I could just do it on telenav.com.... I can, right?

chris716
02-21-2007, 11:37 AM
yes you can just sign up through telenav thats what i did since i dont have cingular

Stinsonddog
02-21-2007, 11:41 AM
All of this is covered at my GPS tips site and a sticky in the GPS thread which is where I am moving this.

Lex Luthor
02-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Forgive me if this is a seriously n00b question but does using telenav eat through a lot of data? I don't have the 8800 yet but if I am lucky enough to find an unlocked one for sale I want to use the telenav feature but as a Rogers Wireless subscriber I pay $65 per month for 50MB of data so it's quite costly and if it's a data hog I won't use it unless I really have to.

Stinsonddog
02-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Forgive me if this is a seriously n00b question but does using telenav eat through a lot of data? I don't have the 8800 yet but if I am lucky enough to find an unlocked one for sale I want to use the telenav feature but as a Rogers Wireless subscriber I pay $65 per month for 50MB of data so it's quite costly and if it's a data hog I won't use it unless I really have to. Yes it does I am afraid. I don't see a spot for it. BBMap uses the least due to scalable vector maps. You have some settings of not using maps on Telenav that would reduce it.

Lex Luthor
02-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

mzini
02-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Here is a GPS question... can you still receive phone calls while using the GPS?

Stinsonddog
02-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Here is a GPS question... can you still receive phone calls while using the GPS?

Yes but some complain of choppy performance, and you won't get map updates or voice commands.

Stinsonddog's Blackberry GPS Tips (http://home.comcast.net/~tamsterra/OP/Blackberry_GPS.htm)

jfox67
02-21-2007, 12:00 PM
When you get to the download page, it automatically downloads the 8800 version if you do it OTA. Otherwise, you're right that it's not mentioned on the site.

Another dope here....

I tried this and it did not recognize my 8800. I also tried to just download the 8700 and 8100 file. Both downloads failed with errors.

I also read Stinsondog's entire page (great job by the way!)

Any ideas?

gynomite
02-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Is it a free service? The replies are coming fast and furious to this...do you go to ota.telenav.com/ota/at on the BB browser? I did and kept getting an error message that the servers were swamped. For 3 hours.

Thanks

Gynomite

gynomite
02-21-2007, 12:10 PM
If this and other GPS apps are serious data hogs, and it is working kind of patchy at best for the masses...isn't it just best to get a tom tom of garmin of your choice?

chris716
02-21-2007, 12:21 PM
i was getting the server errors last night but its workign for me now i just did it to see if the link was right and its working yea you do it on the browser of the blackberry

tcrawford
02-21-2007, 01:07 PM
yes you can just sign up through telenav thats what i did since i dont have cingularI want to sign up at telenav but it doesn't have the 8800 listed. What did you pick as a device when signing up?

chris716
02-21-2007, 01:37 PM
i signed up as the pearl and then when i downloaded the app ota from phone it downloads the right one

tcrawford
02-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Got it - all set up - everything is working perfectly.

Thanks!

AngelJo008
02-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Can I get Telenav service through Cingular or do I have to get it through Telenav's website? The reason being, I want the 9.99 to go to my Cingular bill instead of a CCard