PDA

View Full Version : Structural Nextel 7520 problems?

Masud
04-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Hi all,

I ran across the following post on the developer forum of www.blackberry.com (link: http://www.blackberry.com/developers/forum/threadMode2.jsp?q=%22bad%20dns%22&message=15685&forum=1&thread=4695):

It seems that the Blackberry 7520 (“BB”) made for Nextel may be defective. For instance, the BB is known for crashing and displaying error messages such as, “Max Connections Opened, Unknown Error", "Bad DNS Address", and “Unable to open connection."

Moreover, if you decide to exchange your BB and if your BB falls within the one year warranty, Nextel will only exchange your BB for a refurbished BB. In my particular case, the exchanged refurbished BB was worse than my original BB. In addition, Nextel will not exchange your BB for a new one at their Nextel Store because they will only give you a new BB if you are an upgrade or a new activation. Otherwise, Nextel does not want to deal with current customers. Furthermore, Nextel makes you pay for the insurance ($2.99 USA) if you want the refurbished BB.

In conclusion, if you must have a BB, buy one through Verizon or Cingular, but do not buy one through Nextel Communications, unless you want a defective version of the BB.

This is quite a serious post and I was wondering if any of you have had such trouble with Nextel 7520's, especially when running Instant Messaging software such as BerryVine, VeriChat and others.

Thanks for your reactions!

Cheers,

Masud

yahtzee
04-14-2005, 09:31 PM
Hi all,

I ran across the following post on the developer forum of www.blackberry.com (link: http://www.blackberry.com/developers/forum/threadMode2.jsp?q=%22bad%20dns%22&message=15685&forum=1&thread=4695):

This is quite a serious post and I was wondering if any of you have had such trouble with Nextel 7520's, especially when running Instant Messaging software such as BerryVine, VeriChat and others.

Cheers,

Masud

Hogwash.

southwestcomm
04-14-2005, 11:18 PM
Sounds like a customer who had a bad experience. I live on my 7520 and have never had any issue - nor have the people I interact with who use it.

Masud
04-15-2005, 02:36 AM
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Just to be clear: you are both on Nextel?

Cheers,

Masud

SDM2nd
04-15-2005, 06:23 AM
I also have not had any experience such as these, nor the clients I support.
On the otherhand, GSM (phone communication) on the NexTel devices (both 7510 and 7520) my clients are using, they do report poor voice communication. Complaints of feedback or echo along with dropped calls. Physically the 7510/7520 hardware has been flawless for us.

wlee309
04-15-2005, 07:57 AM
I use the 7520 and it is awesome. Although I may not be one to say that Nextel CS is the best in the realm of Blackberries, I have had no major headaches from them other than being overcharged.

note: all 7520 users in the US are on Nextel.

sheakt
04-15-2005, 08:29 AM
Hi all,

I ran across the following post on the developer forum of www.blackberry.com (http://www.blackberry.com/) (link: http://www.blackberry.com/developers/forum/threadMode2.jsp?q=%22bad%20dns%22&message=15685&forum=1&thread=4695):

Cheers,

Masud

Someone posted almost the exact same thing in this forum a few days ago (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=5173 - Reply #5) and further replies explained or disproved the claims made in the post.....

--K

Zerokool1982
04-16-2005, 08:50 PM
I had the same situation with Nextel. I went through about 3 months of calling and 3 Defective Refurbished models. Nextel made me replace my phone and add the Nextel Repair Plan to cover my replacement cost. They sent me to RIM which sent me back to Nextel. I am disgusted with Nextel and when my contract is up I'm going with Verizon. I'm also filing a complaint with the BBB I would hope everyone else with a similar problem would do the same.

Dawg
04-18-2005, 06:36 AM
I have had nothing but good response from CS at nextel on my 7520. No problems with OS system or im programs Love mine

twizardt
04-18-2005, 09:08 AM
Hey, I really like Nextel and my BB 7520. I have not had one issue with either.
I have been a nextel customer for four years (three without a contract) and had nothing but great great customer service. BUT I have heard if you take the insurance for 2.99 the will replace it with a refurb and if you have the 5.00 insurance and lose it you have to pay 100.00 dedutable. I havent used the insurance yet but I hear it not the greatest on the BB. Also I'm not a diehard NEXTEL fan, If they screw'd up or something was wrong I'd tell ya.~

stonent
04-18-2005, 09:15 AM
From my experience, we've sent people to a Nextel store for a swap-out and it gets done with a new one. Just take it to the store and swap it out. Then take it home and sync it up.

coreyg510
04-18-2005, 09:25 AM
I have seen more 7520 problems with nextel service on this forum than anyother version. seems to be that the original post may be true. As for mine, 7290 with Cingular service, i have had a few problems, but they were quickly resolved with customer support. I have not had to swap mine out, but I have heard friends say it is as easy as walking in to the store.

twizardt
04-19-2005, 09:14 AM
This must be something special for you. I just called NEXTEL again and they told me the same thing. 2.99 and theyll repair yours and 4.99 and theyll give you a new one with a 100.00 deductable....??? I only paid 100.00 for mine, does not make any sense.

JDWallace
04-19-2005, 09:49 AM
I have had Nextel for 5 years and just got my BB in Dec 04, and I have no problems with Nextel or their CS. When I got my BB 7520, and started using it that day, I figured out that the mic on the handset was broke. I called CS and the next-day FEDEX me a brand new one at ZERO charge to me! All I had to do was open the box and call Nextel CS and WHAMMO I was up and running again, then I just returned the broke one. The only downfall was I had to wear and ear piece for about a day....OH THE HORROR!! I think most people go into talking to CS with the wrong attitude, they are just regular folks like you and me working for a living. You have an attitude with them and they probably won't go the extra mile for you. Remember they are not Nextel's CEO or POLICY MAKER. Do not get me wrong I do not do CS for a living nor do I work for Nextel. I just sick of hearing folks bash Nextel. They were started for Corporate style work, not individuals, although they are expanding and making improvements. I do agree with the fact that Nextel's CS with dealing with BB is lacking in some areas, they usually have to send you to TIER 2 CS. But guess what, not everyone owns a BB and knows how to use them. The average person has the standard phone. Ok sorry for the vent, but Nextel bashing gets me on my soapbox... :D

Dawg
04-20-2005, 05:58 AM
great post Mr Wallace I agree I have been with nextel since 99 and my problems no matter how big or small always get worked out.

mpd600
04-20-2005, 09:56 AM
I just wanted to add my two cents. Yes I have had the max connection thread error as stated above when I first received my bb7520 but haven't had it happen but a time or two. Also I believe that I may induced the problem as I was just figuring out what a blackberry was and testing if the device could fill our needs.
Now for NEXTEL cs. my sales rep sent me a demo unit (used 7510) after two days of testing and talking to my sales rep, he refered me to a systems engineer. the engineer walk me through some troubleshooting and he determined that the unt had a problem with it's IT policy and could not be properly wiped without the use of a bes. NEXTEL sent me a brandy new 7520 next day fedex provisioned with unlimited data free of charge. NEXTEL has done well by me so far. Yes they need some education in the product line but overall not bad.
My bosses had to drag me kicking and screaming into our little blackberry project, I wanted no part of it. Now they'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands!!
now I know why they call crackberries!

JDWallace
04-20-2005, 04:19 PM
LOL @<hidden> CRACKBERRIES....I never heard of that one, but I think I am an addict and can't be without my crackberry!!

Masud
04-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Hi all,

Well...it appears that there is good news for the Nextel crowd. The newest OS 4 version is available: version 4.0.0.319 which enables GPS and voice note support for 3rd party applications and also seems to eliminate some bugs that were apparent in version 4.0.0.160.

I know that a few nice new programs are coming up that take advantage of the GPS functionality, including a new BerryVine product and I hope the very much anticipated RedSky Mobile product will also support this functionality.

Download the newest OS here:

https://www.blackberry.com/SoftwareDownload/index.jsp?client=biTZdMddN

Cheers,

Masud

JDWallace
04-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Yeah Thanks!!! I saw that on the blackberry site earlier...will update and post how it turns out.

MooseNYC
04-21-2005, 10:34 PM
From my experience, we've sent people to a Nextel store for a swap-out and it gets done with a new one. Just take it to the store and swap it out. Then take it home and sync it up.

Just be careful, if you must exchange your bb (if you can) ensure that you erase the contents of your BB before turning it over. I had a hardware issue (direct connect didn't work) 6 months down the road and took it to a Nextel service center they replaced the unit within the day but the unit I got still had someone else's data (emails, calendar events, contacts etc etc) still on it. I wiped it clean before syncing just to make sure.

So if you have any sensitive data on it, take precautions!

Regards,

Dave

ONE37
12-18-2005, 11:27 PM
Just be careful, if you must exchange your bb (if you can) ensure that you erase the contents of your BB before turning it over. I had a hardware issue (direct connect didn't work) 6 months down the road and took it to a Nextel service center they replaced the unit within the day but the unit I got still had someone else's data (emails, calendar events, contacts etc etc) still on it. I wiped it clean before syncing just to make sure.

So if you have any sensitive data on it, take precautions!

Regards,

Dave

Did you have to sync up your old contact info? (i.e. yourusername@<hidden>)

I have a used one that had the same stuff on it; addresses, old contacts, and when I tried to test email to myself, I had the old users email address assigned to the phone. Lemme know what you did to sync up with your personal info. Thanks in advanced.

ONE37