PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article about the GPS in the 8800.

richard371
02-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Blackberry 8800 has integrated GPS! -- NaviGadget (http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/2007/02/13/blackberry-8800-has-integrated-gps/)

Would be nice to have proof that it is indeed the sirf III. That is a pretty good chipset.

Stinsonddog
02-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Was hoping to see the FCC specs but never found them. Maybe they don't have to file that part with the FCC.

aiharkness
02-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Blackberry 8800 has integrated GPS! -- NaviGadget (http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/2007/02/13/blackberry-8800-has-integrated-gps/)

Would be nice to have proof that it is indeed the sirf III. That is a pretty good chipset.

The article has an update:

"UPDATE: We were wrong. The Blackberry 8800 does contain a standalone SiRFstarIII-LT chipset. However it may still be using Assisted GPS to conserve battery and such. We didn’t know SiRF made those kind of chips. We’re confused."

bollar
02-22-2007, 08:20 PM
The article has an update:

"UPDATE: We were wrong. The Blackberry 8800 does contain a standalone SiRFstarIII-LT chipset. However it may still be using Assisted GPS to conserve battery and such. We didn’t know SiRF made those kind of chips. We’re confused."

GSM assisted GPS is part of the SiRF III spec, so I'm not sure why they're confused.

http://www.sirf.com/products/GSC3LTiProductInsert.pdf

aiharkness
02-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Maybe kinda sorta OT, but I'm curious. I was thinking I like the BT puck from the standpoint that it has its own battery (a heck of a big battery, too) and (seems to me), I'm drawing less on the BB battery when using GPS with, say, BB maps. Too, I can place the puck where it is most advantageous. So, what is the downside other than just having to deal with another device? I'm not sure I would want an integraged GPS.

Stinsonddog
02-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Maybe kinda sorta OT, but I'm curious. I was thinking I like the BT puck from the standpoint that it has its own battery (a heck of a big battery, too) and (seems to me), I'm drawing less on the BB battery when using GPS with, say, BB maps. Too, I can place the puck where it is most advantageous. So, what is the downside other than just having to deal with another device? I'm not sure I would want an integraged GPS.

I find the puck a pain. Is it charged? Where is it? Where are the chargers? Too much to keep track of. If this works in a car thats all I need and I am hearing its fine.

hf1khal
02-22-2007, 09:23 PM
I find the puck a pain. Is it charged? Where is it? Where are the chargers? Too much to keep track of. If this works in a car thats all I need and I am hearing its fine.

I agree. many times I went looking for it only to spend about 15 mintues to remember where I had it last.

aiharkness
02-23-2007, 08:50 AM
I appreciate the convenience factor of an integrated GPS, but this isn't an issue for me. I'm more curious about technical differences, pro and con. The battery, as I said, seems like it could be an issue, such as if I was on foot sight-seeing all day, but so far I haven't pushed the limit there. The assisted-GPS versus stand-alone operation is a difference, but I don't know how significant/important it would be in actual use.

hf1khal
02-23-2007, 10:27 AM
I appreciate the convenience factor of an integrated GPS, but this isn't an issue for me. I'm more curious about technical differences, pro and con. The battery, as I said, seems like it could be an issue, such as if I was on foot sight-seeing all day, but so far I haven't pushed the limit there. The assisted-GPS versus stand-alone operation is a difference, but I don't know how significant/important it would be in actual use.

Lets put it this way, with a lot of testing going on with mine. I charged it the first night I got it and did a lot testing program downloading, re-installing the OS, about 100 minutes of talk time, GPS Navication testing (for telenav and BB Maps) after 48 hours I was left with 35% battery level remaning. If I compare this t the similar use of the 8700 and the pearl, I can say that the 8800 is giving about 40% better than the other 2 as with the other 2 I hae to make sure that tehy are charged after a day and half and that is the most I got from them with such use.

aiharkness
02-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Lets put it this way, with a lot of testing going on with mine. I charged it the first night I got it and did a lot testing program downloading, re-installing the OS, about 100 minutes of talk time, GPS Navication testing (for telenav and BB Maps) after 48 hours I was left with 35% battery level remaning. If I compare this t the similar use of the 8700 and the pearl, I can say that the 8800 is giving about 40% better than the other 2 as with the other 2 I hae to make sure that tehy are charged after a day and half and that is the most I got from them with such use.

That is very cool. The BB is incredible and getting even better.