PDA

View Full Version : Could There Be A Possible Recall of 8800s

tjstalcup
02-23-2007, 09:17 PM
My company has had 5 8800s break over the past 2 days.

The problem, the curves of the side, near the bottom of the usb port provide no place to prevent the usb cable from bending back, unlike the nice flat padding surface of the 8700s.

Basically, with one device, it fell off the desk, landed on the usb cable, which bent back and broke the usb connector inside of the BB, which then fell off.

This has basically been the case w/ the other four, all though our Cingular store is more than happy to replace them, I fear that the salesmen, (some of the most technically in-ept and very tough on their BB's) will not last long with their 8800s, which makes me frustrated to know that I will be replacing BB's every week, and we only have 20 users.

Anyone else having this issue?

To see what i'm talking about, plug charger in your 8800, and you will see how flexible the connector is, don't wiggle the usb cord at all!!! It will break very easily.

archer6
02-23-2007, 09:49 PM

The problem, the curves of the side, near the bottom of the usb port provide no place to prevent the usb cable from bending back, unlike the nice flat padding surface of the 8700s.

Basically, with one device, it fell off the desk, landed on the usb cable, which bent back and broke the usb connector inside of the BB, which then fell off.

This has basically been the case w/ the other four, all though our Cingular store is more than happy to replace them, I fear that the salesmen, (some of the most technically in-ept and very tough on their BB's) will not last long with their 8800s, which makes me frustrated to know that I will be replacing BB's every week, and we only have 20 users.

To see what i'm talking about, plug charger in your 8800, and you will see how flexible the connector is, don't wiggle the usb cord at all!!! It will break very easily.

Thanks for the heads up, I will have to check mine out.

wangta01
02-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Hopefully we get that charger that uses those side metal things soon - then we won't to mess with the USB port!!

Brad00111
02-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Don't take this the wrong way, but just dont drop it off the desk and I don't think you will have a problem right? I doubt there will be a recall.

NJBlackBerry
02-24-2007, 10:21 AM
When every new model comes out, the "Recall Thread" comes out shortly thereafter. I remember reading the 7100 recall thread when it came out. And that never happened either.

Brad gives good advice...

dtmfjunkie
02-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Same thing happened on my Pearl.

TheBigNewt
02-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Same thing happened on my Pearl.
My Pearl has a silver metal housing that surrounds the inside of the usb port. The cord doesn't wiggle at all.

atuarre
02-24-2007, 02:09 PM
I was just thinking that same thing (in response to the person who mentions about the recall thread coming out). There were a few of us who got our 8800's on Saturday/Sunday. Then they were widely available everywhere, and now somebody is finding a problem with something.

The USB port has a problem, or they couldn't figure out where to put the sim card and the micro sd card, etc, etc, etc.

NJBlackBerry
02-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Actually, the people posting here with problems have found problems. No one knows what percentage of the total customer base there is.

Forums like this one tend to accentuate the negative and ignore the majority who have found no issues at all. Every technical forum I've been associated with (since the days of CompuServe) have been like that. Don't read too much into it...

AngelJo008
02-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Ive had no troubles at all, but then again, I don't wiggle my cord after I plug it in either. I plug it in and set it on the table to charge....well far enough away from the edge so that it doesn't fall off ;)

archer6
02-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Actually, the people posting here with problems have found problems. No one knows what percentage of the total customer base there is.

Forums like this one tend to accentuate the negative and ignore the majority who have found no issues at all. Every technical forum I've been associated with (since the days of CompuServe) have been like that. Don't read too much into it...

Well Said!

As we both know, not only do people tend to accentuate the negative, but it's only negative according to their values and perception. Far from being a "fault" or "problem" or even "defective" it's just a matter of the personal opinion of the person writing the post.

Like any other complex product, BlackBerry's are a compromise. They have so many aspects to consider. Component cost, assembly procedure, repair access, consumer acceptance etc. Much like an automobile, it's always a balance of compromises which effect the final configuration, price and availability.

The result of which, during operation each BlackBerry model exhibits certain "characteristics" of operation. These are not faults, these are the result of compromises which much be made during the very challenging period of research, design, development, manufacturing and assembly.

So those of us that are looking for perfection, it's not going to be there. It would be impossible to mass produce a product that suited everyone perfectly, and deliver it to market with an affordable sales price. Again, there are simply too many variables. Especially when we are talking about peoples preferences.

The hundreds, of thousands that are perfectly happy with their BlackBerry and use them, but do not obsess on them, are usually those that are simply users and not enthusiasts like those of us here.

We all have our right to an opinion, and yet that doesn't mean that the device is seriously flawed. It simply means that it's one persons perspective based on their personal values and expectations.

Just some thoughts to share after reading your thought provoking well written post.

Thanks!

backbeat
02-24-2007, 03:36 PM
^laugh

So tjstalcup, you going to return yours and get replacements or have you already filed for class action status?

Berry One
02-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Five devices fell of desks in 2 days, must be some crappy desks.

CarlGalgano
02-24-2007, 09:13 PM
When every new model comes out, the "Recall Thread" comes out shortly thereafter. I remember reading the 7100 recall thread when it came out. And that never happened either.

Brad gives good advice...
Usually right before the "class action thread."

dc/dc
02-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Make them pay for their 8800's and they won't break them. People take care of things they pay for.

tjstalcup
02-24-2007, 10:19 PM
I here ya, trust me, I love BB's, I pushed the owners to approve upgrading of all of our devices.

I have over-stressed to them the benefits of the BB, but with these connectors breaking, they are second-guessing my decision to upgrade our 8700s.

I love my 8800, I haven't broken the connector yet, it's these other bumbling idiots. Unfortunately as suggested, they don't pay for their devices, the company does, and since the store we deal with replaces them at no charge during the year warranty, it's nothing to really worry about, except no way to back up that data, since it can't be connected.

Hopefully we go back to the flat sides of the 8700 with the 8820 or 9000, or maybe I should just push for the iPhone, start the flaming.

LOL

-TJ

tankee531
02-25-2007, 07:36 PM

recall the desk instead?

rambo47
02-26-2007, 07:03 PM
This has got to be a first: looking for a recall because Retardo Montelban finds them too easy to drop! :D

mzini
02-27-2007, 02:25 AM
hahahahaha. This thread has cracked me up. But back to the original post, has anyone else has any problems with the power adaptors when plugged in? I mean, mine does wiggle a little when I plug it in (a bit more than my 8700 did), but does this really pose a problem?

Here is where I could see it possibly causing problems. What about when you are on your phone in the car and you also have it plugged in to charge it? That could be such a strong pull on the power plug from the stress of the cable. Who knows... !

archer6
02-27-2007, 03:10 AM
I checked mine and found it to be very solid. Just like the ones on my other Blackberrys.

Jules166
02-27-2007, 05:09 AM
it's nothing to really worry about, except no way to back up that data, since it can't be connected.

I personally think it's good practice to back up devices every day so this wouldn't be an issue if the users did this (except for the day they drop it off the desk)

NJBlackBerry
02-27-2007, 05:33 AM
Which is another reason why BES is great. Constant backups of data.

greggebhardt
02-27-2007, 06:14 AM
I have used a Blackberry for 7-8 years now and not one time have I had it fall off my desk. I have inspected my 8800 USB connector and find it to be about the same as my other devices. To have FIVE devices fail for the "tender" USB connector seems a little funny.

I would check your office for a jealous Treo user!

mjohnson
02-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Might I suggest lightly tasing anyone to "drop" a BB? I'm sure that, while perhaps illegal, it will save you a lot of hassle!

archer6
02-27-2007, 01:23 PM
I would check your office for a jealous Treo user!

Or two or three.......:razz:

Can you say sabotage?........:-o

andrej770
02-28-2007, 11:20 AM

I have a different take on this. Having to manage 80,000 desktops and 23,000 laptops in my enterprise has taught me this: Make sure the employee knows they are responsible for their device. See, if we just give people things and they don't have a sense of responsibility to ensure it is safe, not torn up or damaged, then incidents like this will happen often. We have over 5000 BB's deployed and we maybe get one or two in for repair every so often - and that is rare. Why? Because if it is determined that the BB was misused or abused in anyway (by management), the employee becomes personally liable for the replacement cost. People tend to take care of company items more when they know that they can be docked pay for misuse or even simple ignorance; No, it's not bliss! :-)

If you get a BlackBerry and use it quite often, there are somethings you should know about its care. If you have it hangin on the edge of a desk where it can fall off and be damaged, I chaulk that up to not being educated about how important your device should be to you. If you are afforded one from work, apparently they feel contacting you at a moments notice is important. Take that into consideration when being lax about its care.

Just my .02 cents.

MartiniGal
02-28-2007, 11:40 AM
How true. In my office we have to read and sign an agreement that we will return it and any accessories in the condition that we received it - minus normal wear and tear.

Agrion
02-28-2007, 12:02 PM
We have been using Blackberries at my office for a couple of years now. We have 40 of them and we have gone thru a few different models. In this time I have had 2 users come to me with this problem and I know from past experiencs with these specific users that they are hard on their equipment. So, I have seen the problem but I would say under normal use this should not happen.

Agrion
ConsumerBeef.com - What's Your Beef?

RedSoxFan
02-28-2007, 07:48 PM

LOL!! Maybe you should ask for the makers of your desks to do a recall. I would be pissed if that many devices fell off my desk!