PDA

View Full Version : Can I view attachment on Blackberry

Stupid
02-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Can I view attachment to a point that it is close to MS Office applications? We have charts which are about 7-10 MB that we would like to view on BB.

How does attachment get to the device? Does it still have size limit of 32KB? Do I have to manually download it everytime or it's downloaded automatically? If manually, how long does it take to download 1MB file?

mattk0
02-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Are you using a BES?
If so, you will have to manually download it from the server (when opening the attachment just 'retrieve' full contents). This happens so every blackberry is not hogging battery power and signal strength to download attachments that may not even be needed on the device.
In addition, on the blackberry server there is an attachment service that formats the document for viewing on the device. The end result often being much smaller than the original 10mb file. So to be perfectly vague, it all depens on the type of file and how compressed the blackberry attachment service can make it...(this all assuming you're using a BES)

Dubdub
02-26-2007, 02:31 PM
I don't know of a way to view a PowerPoint file on a BB. PDFs and Word docs yes.

Pizzle
02-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Didn't indicate what BB you were on, but found this and saw it as interesting:

BlackBerry Accessories Store - Product Detail (http://www.shopblackberry.com/_blackberryaccessories/cgi-bin/pd.cgi?frompage=category_by_model&page=product_detail&fromcategory=BlackBerry+8800&category=BlackBerry+8800&pid=F2222VV66DB5D5FSLNC)

Stupid
02-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Let's say the 8800.

bertiebassett
02-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Can I view attachment to a point that it is close to MS Office applications? We have charts which are about 7-10 MB that we would like to view on BB.

What are these charts - using Office lingo I assume these to be graphs in excel?
Then yes it should be possible to view them but whether they are usable at that smaller screen size then thats one that only you can make the judgerment call on (I would guess not)

How does attachment get to the device?

Via the attachment server on the BES

Does it still have size limit of 32KB?

No it has the limit set by your BESadmin.

Do I have to manually download it everytime or it's downloaded automatically?

If you have previously opened the attachemtn then it is marked with a tick next to it when selecting "open attachment" (I assume it's been rendered and cached on the BES) - if you click view it then opens in milliseconds.

If manually, how long does it take to download 1MB file?
Quite a while..Suggest you test to see if it delivers the usanbility requirements YOU have. only YOU can make that judegement call

bb
ps. next time number your questions, makes it easier to answer (1) blah (2) blah de blah etc..

Stupid
02-27-2007, 04:58 PM
so, not a practical thing to do?

kpoland
02-27-2007, 05:01 PM
The BES won't actually deliver the entire file to your device - it will convert it to some format (mostly txt) that is MUCH smaller. So you COULD do it. And depending on the version of the BES (4.1.3 has a better attachment service) and the verison of the handheld OS (4.2 I dont know much about), it might look just fine.

Besides, if you have EDGE coverage it should convert reasonably quick for you.