PDA

View Full Version : 8800 keylock shortcut - any ideas?

retepnikrap
02-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Hi
christ am i having trouble, OK is there a quick shortcut to lock and unlock the keys?
dont want to programme the voice command key on the left side as i use it a lot, but what a pain selecting the lock icon and fumbling for the "*" and "send" key to un-lock it.

thanks

Sparkomatic
02-26-2007, 04:38 PM
You can press 'k' if you have dial from home screen to no. But, there's no quick press other than the "*" and "send" combo.

It's been discussed in other threads too. The 8700 used to let you double click the thumb wheel but the 8800 doesn't allow you to double click the pearl. It's kinda bugging me too :smile:

mjohnson
02-26-2007, 04:43 PM
I use "K", as I have dial from home screen set to "no"... I use either the VC system or just press the green phone button to make a call.

mdonders
02-26-2007, 04:50 PM
You can also lock your keys using the "alt + return key".

Well at least you can on the 8700, so I don't see what would be different.
Let me know if it works.

Sparkomatic
02-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Alt+Enter works but it was really weird. I think I pressed them both at the same time and I got this message saying input method was being changed to "CATALA". Then an option to change to this input method or to not allow that shortcut. Bizarre...

mjohnson
02-26-2007, 04:56 PM
You change the input method, i.e. US English vs. UK English, by using the alt-enter method. You can change this if you disable this shortcut... as far as I know :)

kjaslow
02-26-2007, 04:57 PM
If you're ok with standby instead of lock, then press and hold the mute button on the top. That doesn't work for me, because I need the device to lock automatically when it goes into the holster. But if you're already accustomed to pressing a button to lock, then maybe this is do-able for you...

retepnikrap
02-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Standby works for me, a long press on the mute to enable and a short press to turn on.
Heres the question, whats the downside? will i still be notified of SMS, emails etc, what functionality do i lose in standby?

thanks

Mane3215
02-26-2007, 11:04 PM
If you're ok with standby instead of lock, then press and hold the mute button on the top. That doesn't work for me, because I need the device to lock automatically when it goes into the holster. But if you're already accustomed to pressing a button to lock, then maybe this is do-able for you...

Is this possible? Id ont like the new holster for the way I use it, and I really dont like how it doesnt lock automatically when you are putting in the new holster when using bt on the phone.

MartiniGal
02-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Wondering if anyone has found a work around that freakin "*" + "send" combo. I miss clicking the track wheel twice like on the 8700c and go. If anyone could figure out how to make it so you could just click the trackball twice...the 8800 would be almost perfect.

bauerb
02-28-2007, 05:01 PM
agree. its much harder to unlock while driving. we need to disable the * send

Stinsonddog
02-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Keylock is a security feature and if you are not worried about that use the Mute standby mode.

You are supposed to be able to click * and Send if you don't have a password set.

If you do have a password set, the hitting the Pearl and Unlock from the menu should work.

If you don't then it's harder.

On BES with a password, I just type the password.

So you really have a number of options.

Fungineer
02-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Heres the question, whats the downside? will i still be notified of SMS, emails etc, what functionality do i lose in standby?
Nothing that I've seen with my Pearl - it just locks all the keys except the Mute until you press Mute again. Calls, email etc still come through - though you find yourself calling 911 less often when you stick it in your pocket :)