PDA

View Full Version : 8700 Media Player & Editing Programs

corporatetakeover
03-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Hello guys,

Longtime lurker but first time poster. First allow me to thank you for all of the useful and detailed information you have allowed me to silently soak up for so long. Im finally about to ditch my windows mobile PDA and come over to the lightside into the wonderful world of blackberry. However, before doing so there were a few issues i need assistance with. I just have to be clear on a few things before making the jump. I've searched the forum for answers but i havent had success finding them all.

1)Media Player- Is there a program that would allow me to stream audio AND play small audio files over my 8700 (8703sprint)

2)Are there any members who have positive feedback on the editing programs for microsoft word AND excel files?

3)Is there a program that would allow me to view Powerpoint files on my 8700?

Thanks for listening and i look forward to whatever feedback you guys are willing and able to provide. I also apologize if these questions are a bit to remedial for some of you advanced and longtime users.

JSanders
03-01-2007, 10:42 AM
1) no streaming audio direct from the 8700. There are a couple of third party applications that have been mentioned in the forum below, see Aftermarket Software. I don't know how reliable or dependable they are, from the comments, it sounds like they are hit and miss.

2) You're not doing to get GREAT editing abilities with Word and Excel on your Blackberry. Try eOffice, and others for those apps.

3) Try BeamBerry, it might support PowerPoint, again search in Aftermarket Software forum.

hailer
03-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Beamberry does a good job (in BETA right now and free) of displaying content. I use it mostly for small PDF files that I get through my email, and you can save unlimited files using their server (not on your BB device) so you would have to be connected to a network to make it of any use to you. I haven't tried to view powerpoint and would think that a large powerpoint file would be worthless to save and view using a blackberry.

You can supposedly view PDF, Word, PPT, XLS, RTF, and ZIP archives with it and I should say I haven't attempted the others, only PDF.

There is an option to sync your bb to a bluetooth enabled printer and print these files if you so desire.

albiesf
03-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Beamberry is a great app, but one thing to take note is security. The file is stored on their servers so that may be a consideration.