PDA

View Full Version : Google trying to access my phone logs?! Only on 8800.

Konige
03-02-2007, 01:31 PM
I have an 8800 (less than a week) and installed gmail today. Since there doesn't seem to be a version for the 8800, I installed the 8700 version. After the installation, I logged in and all seemed fine. But then, after a while, I went to check my blackberry and there I saw a pop-up requesting permission for gmail to access my phone logs - WHAT!
I quote:
"The application gm_8700_v4_0_L1 is attempting to access phone logs. Would you like to allow access? Yes No
Vendor Name:
Google
Application Name:
Gmail
Calling Modules:
net_rim_bbapi_phone
gm_8700_v4_0_L1
net_rim_cldc-4
gm_8700_v4_0_L1"

After I select No, I get an error:
"Uncaught exception: net.rim.device.api.system.ControlledAccessException"

I know that Google monitors surfing habits but Phone Logs? That doesn't seem right. Has anybody seen this error? Has anyone read Google's Terms and seen this stated?

oester
03-02-2007, 01:32 PM
I saw that too. I'm thinking it was occuring in the older version too, we just didn't know about it. I just denined access,and gmail is still happy.

gabe76
03-04-2007, 08:08 PM
same problem here... I also selected no for accessing phone logs, and now every time it tries to access(speculation), the uncaught exception notice pops up. gmail works fine, no other problems, but very annoying, and the note will interrupt any activity (so far). the 8800 being my first BB device, so at a disadvantage for trouble shooting.(n)

perhaps a change in the permissions for gmail?

solutions?

kwojtas
03-12-2007, 03:25 PM
I too am having the same error message pop up on my new 8800 blackberry. This is really annoying. Every time I try to compose an email using gmail on the blackberry, the message pop's up 1/2 way through my typing and I lose everything. I have yet to send an email via gmail through my blackberry.

Can someone please help. This is really a turn off.

Stinsonddog
03-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Uninstall it and reinstall it and pick yes. They don't send anything to google. That's how the BB APIs work.

boedarnez
03-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Uninstall it and reinstall it and pick yes. They don't send anything to google. That's how the BB APIs work.

So, if there's no personal data sent out, why does it check the phone logs?

azmmza
03-13-2007, 04:17 PM
how do i uninstall the program?

Stinsonddog
03-13-2007, 04:46 PM
So, if there's no personal data sent out, why does it check the phone logs?

Cause it can give you the option to dial a phone number from the application. Go into Advanced Options>Applications and find it there. Then delete it.

azmmza
03-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Cause it can give you the option to dial a phone number from the application. Go into Advanced Options>Applications and find it there. Then delete it.

Thanks