PDA

View Full Version : If the 8800 is So Disappointing...when is the Upgraded Version Coming?

BerryMan101
03-02-2007, 08:42 PM
It seems like most people are disappointed with the 8800.

I might not keep mine.

When is a better version due out? What will be "better"?

TomN
03-02-2007, 08:46 PM
I think what you're mostly seeing is that people are disappointed with certain aspects of the 8800 but are very happy with the device itself. I am disappointed with the fact that it doesn't have WiFi, but I love the device.

sfo
03-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Huh? Most people disappointed? I love it!!!!
I just had to retrieve something from my old 8700c and the side trackwheel made it seem like I was using an 8-track.
How did you come to your conclusion?

Quisto
03-02-2007, 08:57 PM

The 8800 is my first smartphone so I don't have a great basis for comparison, but I'm finding it to be much better than I envisioned.

I had WiFi on a Palm TX. It worked well, but frankly wasn't as useful as I thought - perhaps if you are always in a hotspot area or stay near urban areas all the time.

If the next generation BB comes out and has some really great features, I'll switch then and hand this off to a new convert. I'm keeping mine.

justin.culp
03-02-2007, 09:37 PM
"Most people". Come on....really. That is an obsurd statement.

smalls
03-02-2007, 09:40 PM
The 8800 is my first smartphone so I don't have a great basis for comparison, but I'm finding it to be much better than I envisioned.

I had WiFi on a Palm TX. It worked well, but frankly wasn't as useful as I thought - perhaps if you are always in a hotspot area or stay near urban areas all the time.

If the next generation BB comes out and has some really great features, I'll switch then and hand this off to a new convert. I'm keeping mine.

A bit off topic here, but I'm curious to know what benefits does Wifi bring with the BB? I know that you can access the internet from a hotspot area but say if you're using your BB to access the internet, wouldn't you be using the internet access from your provider? :?

jibi
03-02-2007, 09:52 PM
A bit off topic here, but I'm curious to know what benefits does Wifi bring with the BB? I know that you can access the internet from a hotspot area but say if you're using your BB to access the internet, wouldn't you be using the internet access from your provider? :?
If T-Mobile is your carrier, then you can seamlessly transfer the call from the cellular network to a WLAN/hotspot connection, be it a Starbucks or your home, and back to the cellular network without dropping the call (pending wireless stability of network). If this call is initiated while connected to Wi-Fi, you can 'roam' over to the carrier network at T-Mobile's expense (Wi-Fi-initiated calls are free); although if the call is initiated on T-Mobile's network, then switching over to Wi-Fi continues to incur minutes from your plan.

Just one of the benefits. Cingular will also roll out UMA/GAN/IMS at some point in the next year.

pjh
03-03-2007, 09:03 AM

I might not keep mine.

When is a better version due out? What will be "better"?

Love mine!!...easily the best phone I've ever owned.

NJBlackBerry
03-03-2007, 09:07 AM
If you love the 8800 then I guess you will REALLY love the upgraded 8800 that does not exist!

TomN
03-03-2007, 09:45 AM
If you love the 8800 then I guess you will REALLY love the upgraded 8800 that does not exist!

Well if it doesn't exist then I don't love it as much....

NJBlackBerry
03-03-2007, 09:47 AM
We can dream, can't we ;-)

Wait - that's what the Rumor Mill is for!

pjh
03-03-2007, 10:22 AM
We can dream, can't we ;-)

Wait - that's what the Rumor Mill is for!

Every new phone is a freakin upgrade....love posts from guys who say "I'm waiting for model XXXX, that will do music, pics, video, and will make frozen margaritas.

Sparkomatic
03-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Every new phone is a freakin upgrade....love posts from guys who say "I'm waiting for model XXXX, that will do music, pics, video, and will make frozen margaritas.

You mean there's one coming out that makes frozen margaritas?! Awww man, I knew I shouldn't have rushed out and got the 8800. lol

infernox
03-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Love my new 8800. Have no complaints for what it does now. Although I do have some items on a "wish list". i.e. WiFi, UMTS, etc.

NJBlackBerry
03-03-2007, 12:35 PM
I just ordered mine. You mean it doesn't have WiFi, UMTS, UMA, Video recorder and iTunes compatibility?

richard371
03-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Nope and it doesn't do video conferencing or HD video either. I was really upset it does not have an HDMI connector on it. I still think it is by far the best BB to date and I have used them all.

backbeat
03-03-2007, 02:13 PM
If T-Mobile is your carrier, then you can seamlessly transfer the call from the cellular network to a WLAN/hotspot connection, be it a Starbucks or your home, and back to the cellular network without dropping the call (pending wireless stability of network). If this call is initiated while connected to Wi-Fi, you can 'roam' over to the carrier network at T-Mobile's expense (Wi-Fi-initiated calls are free); although if the call is initiated on T-Mobile's network, then switching over to Wi-Fi continues to incur minutes from your plan.

Just one of the benefits. Cingular will also roll out UMA/GAN/IMS at some point in the next year.

Thanks JIBI.(y)

mas90guru
03-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Had mine a little over a week and think it's great. Smaller form factor and familiar BB interface. I didn't really expect anything more. Better battery is a plus.

rivviepop
03-03-2007, 03:58 PM
I just had to retrieve something from my old 8700c and the side trackwheel made it seem like I was using an 8-track.

hah! See, I'm not the only one who wants to smash the trackwheel with a hammer. "2 degrees of freedom" doesn't cut it in 2007. :) The pearlball/whatever is probably the best navigating device on a handset I've used to date, it puts D-pads, trackwheels, and joysticks to shame - and these engadget kids are touting their iPhone as innovative.

My 2006-7 innovation award goes to RIM for the pearlball. Knight 'em, give 'em beers and free tickets to a hockey game.

flash24
03-03-2007, 04:05 PM
I can't wait to get mine..

Outrigger
03-03-2007, 04:44 PM
most people who own the 8800 don't post here. just gadget lovers and enthusiasts. also, most people who are happy with the device tend not to post like myself. So you can't look at a thread with a few people posting unhappy comments and say "most" people aren't happy with the 8800.

LunkHead
03-03-2007, 04:49 PM
hah! See, I'm not the only one who wants to smash the trackwheel with a hammer. "2 degrees of freedom" doesn't cut it in 2007. :) The pearlball/whatever is probably the best navigating device on a handset I've used to date, it puts D-pads, trackwheels, and joysticks to shame - and these engadget kids are touting their iPhone as innovative.

My 2006-7 innovation award goes to RIM for the pearlball. Knight 'em, give 'em beers and free tickets to a hockey game.
I *thought* I loved the trackwheel until I played with the 8100.....

ahhpff
03-03-2007, 05:49 PM

What i know is taht WIFI will ONLY work with the data part, if you turn on teh wifi , Voice wont work ONly data will work... this is why some cellular companies are kinda mad about this because you use wifi which is free other then paying your monthly bill..

rivviepop
03-03-2007, 06:50 PM
What i know is taht WIFI will ONLY work with the data part, if you turn on teh wifi , Voice wont work ONly data will work... this is why some cellular companies are kinda mad about this because you use wifi which is free other then paying your monthly bill..

...also add to that Skype; WiFi on a phone that has a Skype client completely circumvents the carrier's ability to charge you minutes. I know a number of people who talk via phone -> skype -> wifi now when stationary during the day (and they sound great - a little echo now and then, but not bad). That's money lost right there to any carrier, their business plan cannot cope with modern technology.

mzini
03-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Dissapointed with 8800???? Not at all. Its my 4th blackberry and by FAR the best. I love this device.

Of the many features in the 8800, the trackball is so much easier and quicker to use than the trackwheel. I know the trackball is in the Pearl as well, but in my opinion, a "PDA" without a full keypad defeats the purpose. You might as well buy an phone on the market if you are going to get the Pearl - Nokia makes a bunch of great phones with practically all of the features of the Pearl and smaller.

Just my 2 cents... :smile:

Sparkomatic
03-03-2007, 11:14 PM

My name is Sparkomatic and I do miss the trackwheel a little bit.

Forum: "Hi Sparkomatic."

But the freedom of scrolling vertically and horizontally does make me love the pearl. I think it's just habit of the thumbwheel but have to be honest :smile:

jeleniksdad
03-04-2007, 04:16 AM
This is ny first BB coming from a long line of PDA/PPCs. I agree that this device is a big disappointment.

#1- The setup was entirely too easy. It was all self-explanatory and straight-forward. Everything is too easy to get to. I hate not having a complicated setup and UI.

#2- I am an Over-the-road truck driver and I take pride that I don't have to use a map often because I know my way around but the GPS has already proved me wrong once. I hate being wrong.

#3- After twelve hours of EXTREME use (full time GPS, e-mail, phone calls, constant web browsing, and customization) can you believe I was down to 23% battery. I hate not having to charge a device constantly.

#4- I can't put the thing down. It seems to be glued to my fingers although my thumb can move freely. This is causing my wrist to ache because it isn't used to that awkward position of holding a device where I can see the screen constantly. I hate aches and pains.

That's all the flaws I can think of for now. Will update post as I think of more.

P.S. Posted painfully from my BB8800!

BBChristopher
03-04-2007, 11:23 AM
What was this thread about again?

hahahah :)

NJBlackBerry
03-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Starting a class action lawsuit. Oh, that was another thread.
Never mind.

richard371
03-04-2007, 12:34 PM
My only problem is I can't put it down either.

pjh
03-04-2007, 12:54 PM
something tells me the original post came from a t-mobile sales rep:razz:

fonejunkie
03-04-2007, 01:43 PM
My name is Sparkomatic and I do miss the trackwheel a little bit.

Forum: "Hi Sparkomatic."

But the freedom of scrolling vertically and horizontally does make me love the pearl. I think it's just habit of the thumbwheel but have to be honest :smile:

Initially the trackball was a tough transition...but like someone else here reported, when I went back to my 8700 to retrieve something, I felt completely lost. I love the 8800.

greggebhardt
03-04-2007, 02:34 PM
The 8800 is the best.

Galvatron
03-04-2007, 07:09 PM
I like the trackwheel over the trackball actually.

mgerbasio
03-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Rim's Blackberry 8300 "Daytona" with WiFi? - Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/05/rims-blackberry-8300-daytona-with-wifi/)

I like the look of the keyboard better.

Regards-Michael G.

brmcguire
03-05-2007, 09:31 AM
I have seen the rumor shots, but these live shots are great. The keyboard definitely looks better. Camera too. Very nice.

Outrigger
03-05-2007, 09:33 AM
that looks like an 8700 with a spalsh of treo plus the track ball. I like it! the keyboard looks nicer and easier to use than the 8800.