PDA

View Full Version : Lost BB help!!

fourtheye28
03-03-2007, 01:43 AM
Besides death, I cannot find something worse than losing my BB. It had all of my bank accounts, SSN, as well really, everything. Is there a way that I can wipe all of my info remotely? And is there any way (I dont care if I have to pay) to possibly track it? I've lost it for about 8 hrs now and honestly I want to cry.
I was planning to upgrade to a 8800, but thats besides the fact, and I really want my 8700c back!
Any help would be great, as I'm about to lose my mind.

Thanks,
Nick

John Clark
03-03-2007, 02:18 AM
If you're on a BES then the BES admin can send a kill command to the BB. If you're not on a corporate BES then there's not much you can do. I hope you password protect it. If not, there's a good reason to.

I read a post here a while back where someone had their BB stolen. They left the line active for a few days and watched their online bill for the phone numbers listed with the outgoing and incoming calls and then called those numbers and was able to track it down, threaten the person on the other end with legal action, and managed to get it returned. Other than that there isn't really a way to track it.

Hopefully someone will find it and call you with it. If you think it was stolen then file a report, etc. and call your carrier. I might try the above option for a couple days first.

Good luck....I feel for ya.

CBR900RR
03-04-2007, 02:02 AM
If your phone is not pin lock or password lock, that mean the person who found it can read the screen, why don't you send yourself a pin message or email and offer a $20 reward.

fourtheye28
03-04-2007, 02:44 AM
I did, and no reply. I froze my account because I am in the process of getting a new BB. But thanks for all the help!

pjh
03-04-2007, 09:29 AM
I know this is a bit like shooting the wounded after the battle, but all the more reason why we should all be password protecting out BBs.

hailer
03-04-2007, 11:00 AM
I know this can happen but I have to say how could you!?!

Always keep it holstered or in your front pants pocket or in hand when you travel. That might not be stylish to you but putting the device in a coat pocket, purse, or something else that you could possibly put down is just asking for trouble if you have sensitive information on it.

When I moved to San Francisco I had movers help in moving my furniture. When they arrived in their truck, they got out and started to unload my things. A few minutes later the driver checked the cab where he left the door unlocked and his cell phone inside, it was gone. Someone came by, opened the door and stole it.

You have GOT to be careful no matter where you go these days. No area is truly safe even though we would like to think that is the case.

Sk8Surfr
03-04-2007, 02:58 PM
You have GOT to be careful no matter where you go these days. No area is truly safe even though we would like to think that is the case.

I hear ya on that. I had a phone stolen from my employee break room where i had my phone in my coat pocket when i was working. This was MANY years ago when I was a waiter... But still. Only a handfull of people went in there and I'm pretty sure i knew who took it.

Boy did it piss me off.

greggebhardt
03-04-2007, 06:37 PM
I know this is a bit like shooting the wounded after the battle, but all the more reason why we should all be password protecting out BBs.

I prefer rto put all sensitive info in the password safe. I can't stand to have to unlock the device everytime I want to use it. Besides if you loose or get your phone stolen, they will not return it because it was locked!

If stolen, just get it replaced and get on with life!

blakeatl
03-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Yeah....password protection should be the norm on the blackberry. I know some people would be annoyed by it, but it is a safeguard that you may need at some time. That's why I love my Ubuntu Linux (plug)! It's securely locked down like a vault until I unlock it, then it locks itself back after a few minutes where I can still use it.

a_kayaker
03-06-2007, 10:23 AM
I think this is another good example of why to use a password lock.

SOrry you had to learn the hard way. Hope you see it returned.

CletusJones
03-08-2007, 08:57 PM
I can't stand to have to unlock the device everytime I want to use it.
It's a pain but it's worth it to not have your personal information stolen. It doesn't matter if you lock your sensitive information, where there's a will there's a way.
Besides if you loose or get your phone stolen, they will not return it because it was locked!
In the owner section there's a space for information. Anything you enter there will display on the locked screen, why not enter your contact info and offer a reward? I do it that way and have gotten phones returned in the past because of it.

redsoxnation
03-08-2007, 09:26 PM
I use password protector and only put bank and other sensitive info in my safe. I put name and # in owner info so when your phone is locked that info is displayed. And if I do loose it my phone locks after 30 seconds and after ten atemps of wrong paasswords the bb wipes it self.