PDA

View Full Version : Making the BB Fort Knox

fourtheye28
03-04-2007, 02:49 AM
Ive recently gotten my BB stolen (read the 8700 thread) and I wanted to know, now that Ive learned my lesson and is in the process of getting an 8800, whats the best way besides a password to lock down your BB from potential theft, and hackers. Whoever stole my 8700 now has access to my SSN, and bank account records and I really want to prevent that from happening again. Does the 8800 still have the failsafe like the 8700 if too many incorrect passwords are entered it wipes itself?
Thanks for any help in advanced! Im looking forward to getting the 8800, seems noone has anything bad to say about it!

Lex Luthor
03-04-2007, 02:54 AM
Does the 8800 still have the failsafe like the 8700 if too many incorrect passwords are entered it wipes itself?

The 8800 also does that. Sorry to hear about your BlackBerry being stolen.

greggebhardt
03-04-2007, 07:55 AM
If you had all of your sesitive info in your Password Vault, you have no worries. The 8800 has the same and I find it a great feature. I dislike using any other feature for security as I do not wnat it to interfear with me using the device but if you keep everything in the Vault, you are 100% safe!

BryanHarig
03-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Why did you have your SSN on a small easily stolen or misplaced blackberry? You can mitigate your potential risk by keeping sensitive information off the BB unless absolutely vital.

Brad00111
03-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Ive recently gotten my BB stolen (read the 8700 thread) and I wanted to know, now that Ive learned my lesson and is in the process of getting an 8800, whats the best way besides a password to lock down your BB from potential theft, and hackers. Whoever stole my 8700 now has access to my SSN, and bank account records and I really want to prevent that from happening again. Does the 8800 still have the failsafe like the 8700 if too many incorrect passwords are entered it wipes itself?
Thanks for any help in advanced! Im looking forward to getting the 8800, seems noone has anything bad to say about it!

Also, if your on a BES, the BES Admin can send a remote kill command to the BB and have it wipe itself if you ever lose it or it is stolen. Thats one of the reasons I like being on a BES.

BBChristopher
03-04-2007, 10:58 AM
You're all good.
On the 8100 and 8800 models you can set the number of attempts at inputting your password before the wipe. Keep it set low.
A few tries, and the thing is wiped!!!! hahahah

mgerbasio
03-04-2007, 12:10 PM
If you have a corporate BB, on BES, can't they do a remote wipe on the device?

As was mentioned above if you left sensitive data on your BB using Password Keeper, another data vault or have a password set on your device and have a fairly strong password, you're ok. If not, well...

Regards-Michael G.

MartiniGal
05-25-2007, 03:02 PM
I want to keep all my pertinent infor in my contacts. I have tried SplashID but continue to have issues with it. If I set a strong password on my BB8800c and set the number of tries to 2, how safe do you think it is? Guess I am wondering if there is a backdoor way to get into the information? Thanks.