PDA

View Full Version : 3rd party apps?

nileon
03-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I can't find this topic covered:is it not possible to install apps to micro sd card?ifIload eOffice,will it not slow down the system?Surely RIM must be doing a rethink,now that they offer storage cards? If so,why only 64mb to stoe all these apps? Am I missing something?I'm new frm the WM world.thanks.

nileon
03-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Now that Ihave been "playing"around on the 8800, I must ask if there exists out there an app to transfer data frm the device to the storage card? Similar idea to file explorer? Thnx

RoadRider
03-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Unfortunately, no. Dynoplex says they are...but nothing yet.

nileon
03-05-2007, 11:29 PM

So,after 48hrs of using my 8800,I realize this device is transitional.Yes, I prefer it over my 8700,but truthfully,there isn't a 500.$ improvement.RIM's challenge is to increase basic memory,and properly integrate one of the most expensive flash drives on the market.there's a lot of great pocket pc devices out there.They are redundant due to the inadequate WM5+6 os.come on RIM.enter the new race.You lead in email.Your competitor leads in icandy.iphone is not your competition.WM is.I have given up looking for a good PDF reader.Attachment opening is hard to find.file explorer to really manage a memory card, etc.I'm stuck.my Qtek is my phone,my8800 is for email,and I must still rely on my iMate k-jam.Surely I shld be able to merge devices, but alas, each system has its inadequacies.Don't even think of 3rd party apps once google maps,BBmaps,Pocket Day,and perhaps a PDF reader. That's pretty much the memory... Sigh..and so I wait until Cingular has int'l data plan for the competitor,and WM has arevolution.Apple? I don't think one can load 3rd party sftwre? Some of us don't want music. We want a real business device.

takeshi
03-06-2007, 01:16 AM
Try bbsuggestions@<hidden>. Personally, I'm very happy with the 8800 though I'm looking forward to the Daytona. I don't have much need for reading PDF's but it seems like it should be supported along with PDF storage on the SD card.

colonel
03-06-2007, 05:23 AM

Now that Ihave been "playing"around on the 8800, I must ask if there exists out there an app to transfer data frm the device to the storage card? Similar idea to file explorer? Thnx

my gut feeling is that RIM are smart people and know about this. However I think that its all down to security.

90% of their devices and all their software is sold to corporates. RIM was made by companies precisely because they implemented security from day one, along with ease of use. They can't allow email copying to storage card as this could compromise their relationship with internal IT depts.

As much as we love them for email (my BB is a personal one, not a company one) we need to face up to the fact that RIM is not really manufacturing consumer devices. Eventually I believe they will have three ranges, a Pearl developed consumer device range, a corporate range (which the 8800 falls firmly within - albeit with a lifestyle twist) and a 3rd party software business, that will work with WM & Symbian.

If you want the best email serivce with great diary sync and messaging facilities then BB is the way to go. But if you want an everything, tweakable device, you need to go with HTC or a Nokia E61. Apple is just a load of typical over priced under powered froth at this point and unfortunately PALM is no longer a player.

nileon
03-06-2007, 12:29 PM
colonel:
Thank you for your thoughts. Well enunciated. Yes, I agree most of your conclusions. Consumer needs are definitely different than formal corporate needs. However, my industry is the Film/TV/Commercial one. Equally as important to security issues, is the ability to not have to depend on efficient storage on some server somewhere, when I need to refer to a letter or spreadsheet, or whatever.
Permit me a question: I am subscribed to DocHawk. I am currently testing eOffice.
Do you know of any other attachment apps that do not rely on hosting?
Both seem to be sluggish, not alweays capable of opening, etc.
Finally, I see that my needs do lie in multiple devices, even though I crave for one only do it all. I agreewith you on HTC. I own and use the smartphone, and still rely on my now old k-jam. [which I even tried putting BB connect on.] WM5/6 are near useless for mail.
my 8800 is by far the best email and internet device.
Cheers.