PDA

View Full Version : How to get BES extension API SDK?

RadioGuy
04-18-2005, 02:28 PM
How do I get the C++ header file(s) and whatever else (libs, dlls) that comprise some kind of SDK for the BES Extension API?

I looked on my BES directories and found nothing relevant so I assume I need to download something from somewhere.

Ragnorok
04-20-2005, 04:11 PM
- If you ask RIM they'll e-mail it to you. All you need is a header and you're done, and it uses *C*, not even C++. Go figure. Like all RIM development, it's fraught with peril. Good luck.

Hari
05-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Hi,

I want to PULL data from BES/MDS in my Java application(desktop) using HTTP. The basic HTTP/PUSH of MDS architecture doesnt support pulling/getting data. Will this BES extension API help?..Or is there any other way?

Pls help..

Thanks
Hari

corey@12mile
05-05-2005, 08:04 AM
What kind of data are you trying to pull from BES? You won't be able to pull anything from the handhelds. If you want statistical data, ODBC into the BESMgmt database and see what you can decypher. If you want mail information, suck it out of your mail server.

BES will only push data to a PIN, so unless you find a way to assign a valid PIN to your desktop, that will talk to the RIM relay, yer SOL as far as getting it to talk to BES.

As far as I know what you want to do isn't going to be done with html, or a BES extension API. You are going to have to find another source. If I am guessing correctly, you most likely want statistical data and will have to use ODBC to get it.

cd.

DoomBringer
05-05-2005, 11:36 AM
You can query SNMP values on BES as well, but I've never done it programmatically, so I dunno.

Hari
05-06-2005, 04:45 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for the reply....
Corey , its not Statistical Information.

Few datas we Push it to a URL(http://haris:8100/push?DESTINATION=haris@<hidden> &PORT=6234&REQUESTURI=/ ) in the MDS from server side app.

This data will be edited From the Handheld by the user and Posted back to MDS.
So we want to read back the data from the URL from my Server side application.
(Java) using HTTP connection.

Is it possible to PULL back the information from the MDS using HTTP or is there some other way..Pls help

Thanks
Hari

corey@12mile
05-06-2005, 07:37 AM
Why don't you just push out the form to the user, have them edit it and then post it back through an intranet webserver and drop the values into a database or even a plain text file and hook into that from your application.

It seems to me like you are maybe going about the data flow the wrong way. Just puch out a standard html form and have the user drop the values back to a web server. When the post is submitted you can even create an event to fire your java app for instant notification or processing.

MDS isn't going to store the values that your users are changing, it's strictly contect delivery, not a data processor (in this respect). So there really is nothing to pull. Being that a user is going to post the info immediately after they update the form, it's useless trying to pull from MDS (or the handheld or a combination) because the data won't be there.

Simple data flow...

1. Push form to handheld via BES
2. User fills out form, submits
3. Data received by intranet webserver (https if paranoid)
4. Web server stores data (pick your target)
5. Web server triggers event on form submission (Optional)
6. Java desktop app pulls the data and process's it

It's as simple as that.

cd.

Hari
05-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks Corey,

Thanks for your time and your explanantion really helped me...

Hari

corey@12mile
05-09-2005, 12:11 PM
No problem... Should be a little bit less of a learning curve for you too, as I think what you were originally thinking almost certainly would have been wasted time. If you need anything else, let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.

cd.