PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Locking and unlocking on 8800

daveamaya
03-04-2007, 02:45 PM
how do you lock the Keyboard Lock on the 8800? the alt + enter doesnt work like on the 8700. Can someone help? thanks

Dave 8-)

bcaslis
03-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Only thing I can find the manual is to click the lock icon on the home screen.

greggebhardt
03-04-2007, 04:14 PM
You can also press and hold down the mute button and the device goes to sleep and yet will wake up if you get a call or email

calkenneth
03-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Only thing I can find the manual is to click the lock icon on the home screen.

I set my convenience key to Lock so I don't have to worry about hitting it inadvertently in my pocket.

Stinsonddog
03-04-2007, 06:52 PM
There are a number of threads on this already if you look for them.

BBChristopher
03-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Yeah, set the convenience key, and enable security...

My BB is always on, and always locked...

bdj6020
03-07-2007, 08:39 PM
I can't find any of the other threads from search, and I don't want to set my convenience key to lock as I already have it mapped to my ringer profiles. Is there a hotkey that mapping for locking the phone or do I have to scroll to the stupid lock icon everytime?

scotth
03-08-2007, 12:22 AM
turn off "dial from home screen" in your phone options
then you can simply hit the "k" key
be careful if you have a speed dial associated with the "k" key though. If you just hit it once, it will lock it. However if you hold the "k" key down then it will call your speed dial.

Next question will be "k" key? Why that one? If you highlight an icon on your home screen, if you see a letter underlined (at the bottom of the screen), you can push that key to quickly get to that application. For example - "m" for messages. "b" for browser, etc.

nickp
03-08-2007, 07:59 AM
How about just holstering the device ?

habanero69
03-08-2007, 08:08 AM
How about just holstering the device ?

He is probably NOT using the holster hence wanting to lock against inadvertnet keystrokes. Locking AND holstering is counterproductive I would think.

takeshi
03-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Not really. There are definitely reasons to lock when holstering (hence the option to lock upon holstering in Security).

I recommend turning off dial from home screen and using K. Binding the keyboard lock to the convenience key seems like a waste of the key but YMMV.

fonejunkie
03-08-2007, 09:07 AM
turn off "dial from home screen" in your phone options
then you can simply hit the "k" key
be careful if you have a speed dial associated with the "k" key though. If you just hit it once, it will lock it. However if you hold the "k" key down then it will call your speed dial.

Next question will be "k" key? Why that one? If you highlight an icon on your home screen, if you see a letter underlined (at the bottom of the screen), you can push that key to quickly get to that application. For example - "m" for messages. "b" for browser, etc.

n00b question:

Are you implying that I can turn OFF "dial from home screen" and still use the speed dial from the home screen? :oops: :-o

scotth
03-08-2007, 10:38 AM
n00b question:

Are you implying that I can turn OFF "dial from home screen" and still use the speed dial from the home screen? :oops: :-o
Correct

fonejunkie
03-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Correct

Ok, that is WAY COOL, but begs another question: how can something work if it's turned OFF? Obviously OFF is not always OFF... :-o

scotth
03-08-2007, 11:23 AM
if you turn it "off" it disables you from just pushing numbers to initiate a call