PDA

View Full Version : Best hand position for typing?

nelaphi
03-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Hi all, sorry I did a search but didnt find much with regards to the pearl.

I just want to hear whats the best hand position people use for typing (fast) on the pearl. Ive had my pearl for about a month now, and i started to get used to using only one hand and one thumb...however my typing speed is not improving at all...is it better to use two hands and two thumbs? ive seen some people go at it on the 8700, but that model fits better into two hands...just curious what hand positions people use for speed and accuracy! :smile:

LunkHead
03-04-2007, 04:35 PM
I personally find it easier on the 8100 to one-hand it.... Kinda small to try two-handing it.... But I have big hands and fat fingers / thumbs...

GrayPenguin
03-04-2007, 06:29 PM
I use two hands if i need to type fast, one hand for casual typing. I split it into the 2 left rows and the center row go to my left thumb and the two right rows go to my right thumb. I use the trackball with my right hand usually.

zimbu1234
03-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Two if you want fast typing. I use left thumb for two left columns, right thumb for center row and two right rows. Typing with one hand is fine unless you make a mistake, which happens a lot since SureType isn't perfect.

nuncles
03-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Same as zimbu1234.

blakeatl
03-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Any which way you feel more comfortable typing. But I do use two hands for fast typing and single for the casual.

BB4Life
03-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Two if you want fast typing. I use left thumb for two left columns, right thumb for center row and two right rows. Typing with one hand is fine unless you make a mistake, which happens a lot since SureType isn't perfect.

Ditto! but ever since i have been using the pearl, my right thumb has been painful!!!!!! it didn't hurt as much as it did when i had the 8700...

Berryguy
03-05-2007, 10:32 AM
i use both hands

dovebar27
03-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Hiya!

Well...because I'm new to the Pearl and moving on from my older phone, a Sidekick 3, I hold onto the Pearl with both hands and type with both thumbs, just as I did with the Sidekick. It's a little more tricky with the Pearl compared to the Sidekick (or any QWERTY cell phone keyboard, I guess) because you have less space to work with. I've had to deal with my thumbs bumping into each other the first few times I worked with the Pearl. :P But I'm beginning to get the hang of typing with both thumbs. Mostly, it helps to remember that AutoText is my friend--I've taken a lot of netspeak abbreviations and my own abbreviations from my Sidekick and put them into the Pearl's AutoText settings, so that helps make life a lot easier for me. :)

bbant
03-05-2007, 10:54 AM
I use both my thumbs to type on my 8700.
If I use only my right hand, somehow, my BB feels slippery...

Libby8100
03-05-2007, 11:03 AM
I use two hands if i need to type fast, one hand for casual typing. I split it into the 2 left rows and the center row go to my left thumb and the two right rows go to my right thumb. I use the trackball with my right hand usually.
Same for me. Works great so far! I haven't had any pain in my hands yet.

GQBalla
03-05-2007, 12:08 PM
i use 2 hands when im not driving, left hand for the left 2 rows and right hand for the right 3 rows.

one hand if im driving

kcuber
03-05-2007, 01:49 PM
i use 2 hands when im not driving, left hand for the left 2 rows and right hand for the right 3 rows.

one hand if im driving

So you're the guy that almost hit me the other day?

HAHA.

Two hands for me...hold it in my left and use my right pointer finger to type.

zimbu1234
03-05-2007, 01:55 PM
You type with your pointer finger? I just tried that. It feels awkward.

kcuber
03-05-2007, 01:58 PM
You type with your pointer finger? I just tried that. It feels awkward.

Yep, that's the way I started when I got it and got used to it I guess.

I can hold it in my right and type with my thumb if I have to but that feels awkward.

ashabbas
03-05-2007, 02:25 PM
I use my toes. What? I like a challenge. Seriously, I use my two thumbs. Much faster.