PDA

View Full Version : 8800 and *82 used in address book problem

bgarman
03-04-2007, 10:15 PM
First off, thanks to everyone for making this such a great resource. Although this is my first post I have been helped more times than I can recall.

Here is the issue I am hoping someone can help me with:

I have my outgoing caller ID blocked by default at the network level (cingular). On my BB privacy is turned off. When I add someone to my address book I add *82 to the phone number of anyone I want to see my number. Obviously for those I don't want to see my number I don't. On my 8700 if a person called me whose number was in my address book with the *82 added, their address book entry would be referenced and their name would show up. On the 8800 this isn't happening. If a person who appears in my address book with the *82 calls me, all I see is their number, the phone isn't referencing the address book name.

Does anyone have an idea what I can do to correct this. I have hundreds of address book entries and I really want to have the name show up for incoming calls of those in my address book but I do want to be able to restrict my outgoing ID at times.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this.

BlackberryEMS
03-05-2007, 08:24 AM
I might be missing something here, but I am not sure the two issues are acutally related. In my past experience, the lack of showing a name associated with a phone number on an incoming call has been related to your BB being locked and encryption of the phone book enabled. On the 8800 you can actually encrypt all data except the phonebook to address this issue.
You may want to look at your settings under Options, Security Options, General Settings.

I hope this helps!
Chris

bgarman
03-05-2007, 09:48 AM
I checked the content protection you mentioned. It is turned off and the address book is excluded so I don't think that is the issue. I know this is likely a situation that wouldn't matter to most anyone, but I would sure like to figure out how to have it work like it did on my 8700. Thanks for the suggestions.

thestoogeo
03-09-2007, 08:23 PM
I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat. Have you had any luck finding a workaround? I'm calling RIM about a SIM card issue so I'll ask on this one as well and post back and feedback.

Jon

takeshi
03-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Why not add a secondary number for the contact without the *82 prefix?

The BB will default to the last number used so you'd have to intentionally choose to not dial with the *82xxxx.... number.

blueman
03-18-2007, 04:13 PM
First off, thanks to everyone for making this such a great resource. Although this is my first post I have been helped more times than I can recall.

Here is the issue I am hoping someone can help me with:

I have my outgoing caller ID blocked by default at the network level (cingular). On my BB privacy is turned off. When I add someone to my address book I add *82 to the phone number of anyone I want to see my number. Obviously for those I don't want to see my number I don't. On my 8700 if a person called me whose number was in my address book with the *82 added, their address book entry would be referenced and their name would show up. On the 8800 this isn't happening. If a person who appears in my address book with the *82 calls me, all I see is their number, the phone isn't referencing the address book name.

Does anyone have an idea what I can do to correct this. I have hundreds of address book entries and I really want to have the name show up for incoming calls of those in my address book but I do want to be able to restrict my outgoing ID at times.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this.

They did the same on the Pearl. I have spoken to RIM and the message I got back was they will look into it. The tech was surprised. He told me to call Cingular tech support about it. They said, it is part of the OS and speak to RIM. Who know if they will fix it or leave it that way.

I have added the phone number in their contact without the *82. The only problem is that when you dial from the phone log, it will dial the number without the *82.