PDA

View Full Version : InfoSpace Find It! 8800 users, please help

Torgerson
03-05-2007, 05:45 PM
We have had a few comments now where 8800 users are having issues with the spoken turn by turn directions on InfoSpace Find It!

I am the product manager on this product and would love to see if I can get a response from 8800 users who have it installed.. and if you can let me know if the spoken directions are working for you.

To Test:

If you have not installed already...
Download OTA: InfoSpace Find It! for BlackBerry (http://bb.infospace.com/bbf) bb.infospace.com/bbf (so you can see the URL also)

1.Then, look up ANY business, and get to the details page
2. choose #2 (get directions)
3. Choose a location to get directions from
4. Choose #2 again (spoken turn by turn)

You should hear the device speak your turns back to you.

Can you let me know if this is working? We are unable to reproduce this in house, but so far this community has been fantastic about feedback. I am hoping to hear if there is a phone specific issue? maybe an OS version issue?

Thanks in advance to all 8800 users. BTW.. I am jealous, I have the 8100.. sure do wish I had the GPS on my phone :)

bollar
03-05-2007, 05:58 PM
This worked fine for me. v.4.2.1.73 (platform 2.3.0.54)

dwalsh
03-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Working for me. v4.2.1.72 (platform 2.3.0.54)

hf1khal
03-05-2007, 09:18 PM
with v4.2.1.72 (platform 2.3.0.54) It is still a no go for me at my location. I also tired it in NYC last week and was no go either. I have tried several tests on it and here is one example (all tests where done vs telenav and mapquest)

Search for Blockbuster: tiime to find over 3 minutes and keeps on going. If i search by category it is quick. The Spokn direction still comes back with the following: " Unable to perform requested action. Try again or exist info Space Find It and try again later". Now I have tried this many times including uninstalling and reinstalling and still no go. On mapquest and Telenav teh search is done in less than 30 seconds.

takeshi
03-06-2007, 01:04 AM
For some reason I couldn't click on the download link on my 8800 but I was able to find it on my PC and manually enter it on the BB. Everything, including voice directions, works perfectly.

cgillio
03-07-2007, 03:48 AM
My InfoSpace Findit dosent work on my 8800. I get an error that says "Unable to start InfoSpace Find It! Possible network problems, try again." I have reinstalled a few times the problem continues.

mas90guru
03-07-2007, 05:23 AM
Partially unrelated, but Saturday was in Central Park, NY about noon time. The program was running fine for searches but repeatedly came up with nothing found for just about every category (even starbucks which seems to be two to a streetcorner).

fyi

mas90guru
03-07-2007, 05:23 AM
Partially unrelated, but Saturday was in Central Park, NY about noon time. The program was running fine for searches but repeatedly came up with nothing found for just about every category (even starbucks which seems to be two to a streetcorner).

fyi

sfo
03-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Installed perfectly, works perfectly.
SF, CA

completetrader
03-07-2007, 07:59 PM
I get this err as well "I get an error that says "Unable to start InfoSpace Find It! Possible network problems, try again" Has anyone found a fix for this?

boedarnez
03-08-2007, 02:00 AM
I get this err as well "I get an error that says "Unable to start InfoSpace Find It! Possible network problems, try again" Has anyone found a fix for this?

I need help with this as well. Anyone got any ideas (or fixes)?

mgammon2000
03-08-2007, 08:00 AM
It works fine for me. No problems on anything. Great Product...

Torgerson
03-12-2007, 02:38 AM
I need help with this as well. Anyone got any ideas (or fixes)?

Currently we have not narrowed down this issue. Many times an uninstall/re-install will fix this. (we are diligently trying to determine root cause here though).

There seems to be a couple things on the settings with TMO and Cingular that can affect this. Are you on a BES?

Torgerson
03-12-2007, 02:39 AM

fyi

That is a bit odd! And good to know. I will go back and see if there were any server issues at that time. Nobody else reported this. Thanks!

boedarnez
03-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Currently we have not narrowed down this issue. Many times an uninstall/re-install will fix this. (we are diligently trying to determine root cause here though).

There seems to be a couple things on the settings with TMO and Cingular that can affect this. Are you on a BES?

No, I am on BIS. Thanks!

BoogieNYC
03-12-2007, 05:42 PM
2.3.054 (BIS) -- Count me among the people in NYC who got the program up and running (after a couple "Unable to start InfoSpace Find It! Possible network problems, try again."). It found a few people by name search and calculated everything, but when I went to request spoken directions it went wonky and timed out.

To top it off, it takes forever for it to finish "Canceling request."

It just keeps showing the progress bar without, apparently, making any progress.

Looks like it's getting there, just not quite yet.

hf1khal
03-12-2007, 06:19 PM
2.3.054 (BIS) -- Count me among the people in NYC who got the program up and running (after a couple "Unable to start InfoSpace Find It! Possible network problems, try again."). It found a few people by name search and calculated everything, but when I went to request spoken directions it went wonky and timed out.

To top it off, it takes forever for it to finish "Canceling request."

It just keeps showing the progress bar without, apparently, making any progress.

Looks like it's getting there, just not quite yet.

That was my experience. I am not sure about tis but it might seem to be dependent on the network more than on the application itself

Torgerson
03-12-2007, 07:23 PM
That was my experience. I am not sure about tis but it might seem to be dependent on the network more than on the application itself

Maybe I need to fly out to NY to do some testing :)

Thanks for the continuing details everyone, this is not an easy thing to track down. I will see if the eng. team has ideas.. Maybe a build that has some debugging built in if someone is willing to test?

hf1khal
03-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Maybe I need to fly out to NY to do some testing :)

Thanks for the continuing details everyone, this is not an easy thing to track down. I will see if the eng. team has ideas.. Maybe a build that has some debugging built in if someone is willing to test?

As you know I am willing to test. I would love to know the cause.:smile:

dropscience
03-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Any update on when Infospace Findit will be available for Canadian destinations?

rickthornton
03-12-2007, 08:45 PM
I was never able to make the voice prompts work, so I did a re-install and same results. I've tried both the "Tom & Jennifer" options without luck. I notice that I sometimes get the option for spoken turn by turn, and sometimes not. When I do get this option I then get the "Getting Audio" message, it seems to hang on this page for quite some time, with the progress bar moving but eventually I will get the "Unable to perform requested action, Try again or exit InfoSpace Find It and try later" message.

I have no issues with voice prompts on Telenav, but so far, no luck here.

Running 4.2.1.72 Platform 2.3.0.54

Torgerson
03-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Any update on when Infospace Findit will be available for Canadian destinations?

Sorry, No plans in the near term for Canadian data.

Torgerson
03-12-2007, 11:47 PM
I was never able to make the voice prompts work, so I did a re-install and same results. I've tried both the "Tom & Jennifer" options without luck. I notice that I sometimes get the option for spoken turn by turn, and sometimes not. When I do get this option I then get the "Getting Audio" message, it seems to hang on this page for quite some time, with the progress bar moving but eventually I will get the "Unable to perform requested action, Try again or exit InfoSpace Find It and try later" message.

OK... there are a few of you having issues.. thanks for your patience as we try to sort this one out.

interj
03-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Trying to download the app to test it on my 8800. The download fails, 907 Invalid COD Unable to import Zip file.

mabdul
03-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Trying to download the app to test it on my 8800. The download fails, 907 Invalid COD Unable to import Zip file.

Which browser are you using? Can you try using BlackBerry build in browser. We have seen this issue when you try to download using carrier browser.

MSATech
03-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Installed on the 8800 and seems to work fine for me. It did hang my BB after attempting to use it the first time, but has been fine since.

Running 4.2.1.72 Platform 2.3.0.54 at the moment

aero249
03-16-2007, 10:24 AM
I am experiencing the same thing:

"I then get the "Getting Audio" message, it seems to hang on this page for quite some time, with the progress bar moving but eventually I will get the "Unable to perform requested action, Try again or exit InfoSpace Find It and try later" message.

Running 4.2.1.72 Platform 2.3.0.54"

Text directions, either the "next" option or the complete option work fine. I have had a few instances where the directions and map was correct, but the distances were not correct; example - search for "Home Depot", found nearest 7 locations, distance to each of them was 12.11 miles (not correct), select one and directions & map are correct but total distance is not, select another and same thing.

So, finds things OK, maps things OK, distance wrong about 1 out of 4 times, voice directions inop.

ramberry
03-16-2007, 02:42 PM
I tried an OTA download and got the message " the server is unable to handle your request due to a temporary overload error 503.

besadmin23
03-16-2007, 05:57 PM
I am SO FRUSTRATED because I want this to work BAD. I too am getting the unable to start InfoSpace Find It! Possible network problems, try again. I have uninstalled and re-installed many times. I am the admin of our BES. 1400 users. I can tweak the BES any way you like to test. My BB IT policy is very un-restrictive and should allow any type of access. I have done all of the tips for switching default browsers and changed APN settings back and forth. PLEASE HELP???

ntegrt
03-17-2007, 12:11 AM
I have installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled and always get "Unable to start InfoSpace Find It! Possible network problems, try again."
Cingular, not on a BES.

mgerbasio
03-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Works for me in the NYC/NJ metro area.

Regards-Michael G.

mabdul
03-20-2007, 11:54 AM
I am SO FRUSTRATED because I want this to work BAD. I too am getting the unable to start InfoSpace Find It! Possible network problems, try again. I have uninstalled and re-installed many times. I am the admin of our BES. 1400 users. I can tweak the BES any way you like to test. My BB IT policy is very un-restrictive and should allow any type of access. I have done all of the tips for switching default browsers and changed APN settings back and forth. PLEASE HELP???

Can you please provide us with more information. Which phone, carrier and your location (city/state)?

mabdul
03-20-2007, 12:03 PM
I tried an OTA download and got the message " the server is unable to handle your request due to a temporary overload error 503.

What phone do you have and which url are using?

mabdul
03-20-2007, 12:31 PM
I have installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled and always get "Unable to start InfoSpace Find It! Possible network problems, try again."
Cingular, not on a BES.

We have seen several people reporting this issue and we are working on it. For Cingular users, please try this work around for now. It has work for other people.

1. Uninstall Infospace Find It! and reboot the phone
2. Change TCP settings.
Go to Options > Advanced Options
Scroll down to TCP and click
APN: wap.cingular
Username: wap@<hidden>
Password: cingular1
Click menu button and save the changes

3. Now try to install Infospace Find It!

hf1khal
03-20-2007, 02:04 PM
We have seen several people reporting this issue and we are working on it. For Cingular users, please try this work around for now. It has work for other people.

2. Change TCP settings.
APN: wap.cingular
Username: wap@<hidden>
Password: cingular1

Don't forget teh info in teh TCP settings need to be in Caps. Also when I installed Infosapce Find it (Cingular) all the settings where there and the main issue is the voice and the delay where one should wait a bit before going into the next step.

mabdul
03-20-2007, 03:49 PM
I am experiencing the same thing:

"I then get the "Getting Audio" message, it seems to hang on this page for quite some time, with the progress bar moving but eventually I will get the "Unable to perform requested action, Try again or exit InfoSpace Find It and try later" message.

Running 4.2.1.72 Platform 2.3.0.54"

Text directions, either the "next" option or the complete option work fine. I have had a few instances where the directions and map was correct, but the distances were not correct; example - search for "Home Depot", found nearest 7 locations, distance to each of them was 12.11 miles (not correct), select one and directions & map are correct but total distance is not, select another and same thing.

So, finds things OK, maps things OK, distance wrong about 1 out of 4 times, voice directions inop.

I was able to reproduce this issue. We are looking into this issue

boedarnez
03-20-2007, 10:00 PM

2. Change TCP settings.
APN: WAP.CINGULAR
Username: WAP@<hidden>
Password: CINGULAR1

You don't need to reinstall, I've found. Just make sure all of your TCP settings are in CAPS. That's what fixed it for me!! Good luck.

ntegrt
03-20-2007, 10:24 PM
This worked for me.
This was my problem before:

Cingular, not on a BES.

After making the changes above, all works fine.
Thanks.

stepstool
03-25-2007, 12:41 PM
It worked for me too, but back to the original question, when I ask for spoken directions, I just stick on the "Getting Audio" screen, then get the "Unable to perform requested action, Try again or exit InfoSpace Find It and try later" message.

cdd543
03-25-2007, 06:00 PM
I get nothing but the network problem message. BIS w/ all tcp settings correct..caps.

memphismonkey
03-26-2007, 10:47 AM
On BB 8800 4.2.1.72 Cingular. BES but no MDS enabled by my IT.

I've tried the TCP settings above as well as the Internet.com that is there by default. No ability to connect to network. I went to the BIS proxy and resent the service books. Took out battery. Tried again, no dice.

Also, I cannot seem to get Jiveslide to work either due to a similar network issue. It appears that there is something not working with my TCP stack. Although I have no issues with browers, GMaps, GTalk, GMaila and BBMaps using the http connections.

Any ideas are appreciated?

MM

besadmin23
03-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Can you please provide us with more information. Which phone, carrier and your location (city/state)?

8800 on Cingular in Dallas Texas

GCI-CrackBerry
03-28-2007, 09:19 PM
The install went great but when I start the application, I get :
"Unable to start InfoSpace Find It! Possible network problems, try again."
I really want this to work. I've unistalled and reinstalledd about 3 times. Same issue, NEVER LOADS.

I have Cingular Unlimited Blackberry Tethered on an 8800 with Push2Talk.

Houston, Texas (v4.2.1.72 - platform 2.3.0.54)

GCI-CrackBerry
03-28-2007, 10:13 PM
2. Change TCP settings.
APN: WAP.CINGULAR
Username:WAP@<hidden>
Password: CINGULAR1

These settings as shown in a prior reply do work on the Cingular network, but there is 1 issue that now appears and one possible issue that might arise.

The issue that I have now is that I can not get "Spoken Turn by Turn" to work; I get an error saying "Unable to perform requested action. Try again or exit InfoSpace Find It! and try later."

The possible issue is that since I tether my BB 8800 to my laptop as a modem on a daily basis, Is changing the TCP settings going to mess up being able to use the tethered modem. I spent about 4 hours on the phone with cingular and Tier 2 and Blackberry getting this to work. And it is seemless, finally. (That's another story)

Can anyone help.

Still trying to get this application to work 100%.

(Either 100% or nothing)

"In this world of 8800 crackberries at the hip there's only one question that you need to ask yourself. "Do you feel lucky, Well, do you?"
Well, What's NEXT

Jagga
03-30-2007, 03:00 AM
Getting this to work seems to be mostly Cingular users. Since Rogers wireless launched this officially - shipments are scarce on retail but should be fulfilled by end of next week - will InfoSpace Find It! be able to support Canadian locations especially for the larger Cities ....

Well lets start with .... Rogers heart : Toronto / GTA (Greater Toronot Area)
Then ...
Montreal
Quebec City (not the Province but within it)
Ottawa
Regina
Edmonton
Saskatchewan
St. John's (Newfoundland)
Vancouver
Windsor
Sarnia
plenty more ....

I'd LOVE to be a location & restaurant spot locator
Barbers, Restaurants, Sport Stores (Hiking/Khaking/etc), Gyms all in & around the downtown core ... I'll be more than happy to help out.
Clubs - really urban/underground & Mature clientele I can assist with.

cdd543
03-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Mine just started working today..pretty random after getting the network error. I was going to uninstall it and bam it is working. Spoken turn by turn doesn't work on it as others mentioned. I am on Cingular BIS running latest handheld code.

mbootag
03-31-2007, 12:09 PM
I keep trying to download from their website but its always ovcerloaded or busy. I was able to download to a file on my computer but the installer wont reconize it as its a .jad file ext. does it need to be a alx. How do you get around this and install from your desktop?

Thanks!

BoogieNYC
03-31-2007, 12:30 PM
I've had few problems on a BIS/Cingy 8800 getting the app to work except for spoken directions. It's also worked fine on a BIS VZW 8703e, minus the GPS aspect.

It's not quite 100% but it definitely is a great app, and once it is finished and works as designed it will be in my Top 5 and not just something I'd like to have on my BB.

The only change I'd look for is having the turn-by-turn directions implemented via BT headset rather than the speaker. Thus far on the 8703e all I've been able to accomplish is the speaker but I'd much prefer the option to hear via BT.

Torgerson
04-16-2007, 05:29 PM
OK.. sorry for the absence here people.. but I wanted to give an update. We are currently testing a release with a change in the way we connect through RIM's device, this should improve connectivity issues people have seen. Keep an eye out over the coming weeks for the official release as we make it through QA and some beta testers.

As far as the spoken directions through the headset.. while not a high priority for most users, it is definitely a great idea and we can investigate to see the viability of such a request.

Thanks all!

duperdog
04-24-2007, 08:01 PM
The application was working fine until I did an Enterprise Activation, and now I get the "Unable to start InfoSpace Find It!, Possible network problems, try again." message. I have uninstalled and re-installed to no avail.

I am hooked on this application, and would love to get it working again.

Verizon, 8703e, v4.1.0.344

Thanks!

Texas Slim
04-30-2007, 12:44 PM
I get the same time out error when I try to access the spoken directions.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, and got the same issue.

8800 on Cingular
houston, Texas

Torgerson
04-30-2007, 11:25 PM
We are currently testing a new release that should fix any connection issues people are seeing.. stay tuned as we usher this through QA and some beta users...

Maverickster
05-01-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm having precisely the same problem (i.e. " Unable to start InfoSpace Find IT!. Possible network problems, try again" shows up when I try to run it). I'm on Cingular, BES, v. 4.2.1.72. My APN settings are correct.

Is there an estimated timeframe for the fix? Thanks.

--Mav

Strugglin
05-01-2007, 04:09 PM
I get "Unable to perform requested action. Try again or exit Infospace FindIt! and try later." when trying trying the spoken turn-by-turn.

I an using a AT&T Orange 8800.

Maverickster
05-15-2007, 01:23 PM
We are currently testing a new release that should fix any connection issues people are seeing.. stay tuned as we usher this through QA and some beta users...

Any update on this? Thanks.

--Mav

mgerbasio
05-15-2007, 01:47 PM
I just tried it again yesterday and it was working. I had been getting a permission error when I'd try to run the program.

Regards-Michael G.

Jinga
05-15-2007, 02:29 PM
I downloaded the program again today (using T-mobile 8800) and I get a "Unable to start InfoSpace Find It! Possible network problems, try again".

Any suggestions? When will a new version be available?

Thanks.

Torgerson
05-15-2007, 09:46 PM
An update was released that fixed a large portion of the connection issues. There is one known issue before where if you are connecting through TCP and your firewall is off, you should turn it on. (as I type this, I may have that swapped, but I will clarify and let you know) The firewall setting is in your security options.

Try that and see if that solves it, but in the mean time I will be having Malik contact each one of you still having issues with the new version and we will debug it with you.

Thanks to everyone for helping get this issue corrected.

jetspeedz
08-02-2007, 01:10 PM
new one works great

stevehord
01-22-2008, 12:19 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I am still having connection issues with Verizon. I have noticed the following. If I install this app before I activate the phone to BES, it works fine, until I power off phone.

If I install after BES activation, it does not work at all.

If I don't activate phone on BES, then the app works fine continually, even after reboots.

I am using a verizon 8830.

I agree that this is a killer app. I wish it would work without connection issues.

TomsBB
02-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Like several others that have posted in this thread, I am unable to get this application to work on my Sprint 8830. I have downloaded the application many times over the last 4 months with the same result: "Unable to start InfoSpace Find It! Possible network problems, try again." Does anyone know how to correct this problem?

Tom

lorin1244
08-22-2008, 08:06 AM
infospace findit's spoken turn by turn directions worked fine on my BB 8703e.
the spoken turn by turn directions option does not even appear on my new 8330 curve. what give? i have downloaded V 1.4.0