PDA

View Full Version : Changing from Cingular to T-Mobile software

zhkhan
03-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Can it be done yet? I have a Cingular branded 8700c that I had unlocked and use with T-Mobile. I would like to be able to change the software so that I have the T-Mobile logos/utilities etc. I had the software changed on my Cingular branded RAZR that I was using before I got the BB. Does anyone know of any successful mods on the BB? :-o

John Clark
03-06-2007, 01:12 AM
Welcome to the forums,
You can use TMo Software on your 8700c. However, you won't get any TMobile logos or utilities. Once a Cingular BB, always a Cingular BB. You'll just have TMo's release of the OS. All the OS's are produced by RIM and released by the carriers.

See this thread for the latest OS for each device:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/58404-latest-operating-system-available-each-blackberry-device.html

takeshi
03-06-2007, 01:18 AM
You could change the carrier flavor of the OS long, long ago but there's no point in changing the OS if your goal is to change the branding. You can, however, always load other themes. As John Clark says, the splash screens can't be changed.

zhkhan
03-06-2007, 10:39 AM
I downloaded Tmo's software but when I try and install it, it says that the version # is different and won't do anything! :(

[QUOTE=John Clark]Welcome to the forums,
You can use TMo Software on your 8700c. However, you won't get any TMobile logos or utilities. Once a Cingular BB, always a Cingular BB. You'll just have TMo's release of the OS. All the OS's are produced by RIM and released by the carriers.

jungleland
03-06-2007, 11:52 AM
I downloaded Tmo's software but when I try and install it, it says that the version # is different and won't do anything! :(

[QUOTE=John Clark]Welcome to the forums,

locate VENDOR.XML on your computer and delete it...then run desktop manager,
you will be good to go..

flash24
03-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Welcome to BBF!

Yes you can use a tmobile OS for your 8700c, you just need to remove the vendor file.

aznboii
03-20-2007, 07:32 AM
can this been done the other way around? I Have a blackberry 8700g unbranded and unlocked from Australia. I want to use it on cingular network here in southern california and want full features such as int., email, etc.?

NJBlackBerry
03-20-2007, 07:41 AM
Yes. If it is unlocked you can use it on any GSM based network. You will need a Cingular SIM card with the BlackBerry Data Plan set up for your account.

aznboii
03-20-2007, 01:17 PM
thanks for quick response.
one last question would it be better to load the cingular BB OS? If so will it work with the OS that is for the BB 8700c?

takeshi
03-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Again, you can but it's not necessary. Your service books (pushed by the carrier of the SIM currently in whatever BB you're using) handle configuration of the Blackberry. The OS load is pretty much irrelevant except in some cases where one load might have an app that the other doesn't. However, for email and web it doesn't matter.

For example, I currently have O2's OS loaded on my Cingular 8800 and TMO's loaded on my Cingular 8700c. I was using Bharti's OS on my other 8700c before it was replaced with the 8800.

Eddieklaster
03-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Lets say i buy a phone locked to Tmo and with Tmo software, if i unlock the phone i can use it on any network??? or the software wont support it???

NJBlackBerry
03-28-2007, 02:34 PM
If you unlock it, you can use it on any network that supports the BlackBerry.
The software doesn't care.

dkf747
03-29-2007, 05:32 AM
If you unlock it, you can use it on any network that supports the BlackBerry.

I've always thought the 8700g would not work on Verizon or Sprint, and the 8703 would not work on Tmo or Cingular. Am I wrong about that?

NJBlackBerry
03-29-2007, 05:40 AM
OK, you caught me.

If you unlock it, you can use it on any network that supports the BlackBerry with the same technology that you use. GSM on GSM carriers. CDMA on CDMA carriers (if they allow).

Since 99.9999999999% of the people unlocking phones want to use them on GSM based networks, I presumed that was the case here.

Dubdub
03-29-2007, 06:47 AM
OK, you caught me.

If you unlock it, you can use it on any network that supports the BlackBerry with the same technology that you use. GSM on GSM carriers. CDMA on CDMA carriers (if they allow).

Since 99.9999999999% of the people unlocking phones want to use them on GSM based networks, I presumed that was the case here.

One caveat. You can't use a Verizon branded BB (or any phone for that matter) on the Sprint network and you can't use a Sprint branded device on the Verizon network. They don't allow it as far as I know. As said above, the GSM guys don't really care.

takeshi
03-29-2007, 08:42 AM
can this been done the other way around? I Have a blackberry 8700g unbranded and unlocked from Australia. I want to use it on cingular network here in southern california and want full features such as int., email, etc.?
Again, you don't need the Cingular OS. You service books take care of all that -- not the OS itself.

An exception might be if you wanted PTT (if that's even on the Cingular OS for the 8700).