PDA

View Full Version : Roaming email charges? How much data is auto downloaded?

NewPearlUser
03-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi

I visited Canada recently (from the UK). Vodafone were helpful enough to suggest I kept my mobile phone switched off during my visit to avoid any roaming email charges - they didn't know how else I could stop receiving emails!

I duly switched my phone off and left it in my bag but at the end of the holiday I noticed it had been switched on - I guess I must have accidently knocked the on button at some point. To my horror the phone had automatically downloaded 235 emails during this time.

I have asked Vodafone what this will cost me but they can't help as it takes a while to register. They did tell me it would be £10.28 per MB but they couldn't tell me how much data was transferred!

Can anyone help by telling me what amount of data the BlackBerry 8100 automaticaly downloads per email?

Thanks in advance.

Canada was great by the way - really friendly people. I'd recommend.

Al.

yg17
03-06-2007, 11:21 AM
I'd be surprised if it used more than 2 megs, it might not have even used 1. E-mails are small....assuming they don't have a ton of attachments or anything

NewPearlUser
03-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks for your response - that sounds promising. Some of the emails did have attachments (it was my work email account) but I am hoping the phone doesn't automatically retrieve the attachments.

George1
03-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Options - Status - Options Key and select Database Sizes. That gives you a breakdown of your database and what takes up how much space.

I am always amazed how incredibly small my databse is (and wonder where all the many MB of memory goes). Anyway, scroll dwon to messages. I guess that number there is the maximum it could have downloaded as a worst case scenario (probably plus a bit for overhead).

Good luck with your bill.

ErnieH
03-07-2007, 05:37 AM
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I roam quite often and the charges are minimal.

By default your Berry only downloads the first section of an email and attachments have to be requested. So if you didn't actually read all the messages or open attachments, the data charge will be quite modest.

NewPearlUser
03-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Great - thanks. Have just checked my database and I think the bill will be fine!

Appreciate the help! Thanks.

tobyw
03-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Good to know that data usage is relatively low for e-mails (I had previously heard that BB data compression was v. good). I'm heading off on a trip to Europe in the next few days (from the UK) and was considering leaving my Pearl at home, but I can stomach the £7.48 per Mb (T-Mobile UK) if I won't use much.

I certainly won't be using Google Maps or browsing the web whilst away though! :-)