PDA

View Full Version : Considerng switch from 7130E to 8703 on Verizon

angelot
03-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Other than the larger screen, are there any other noticeable enhancements moving from 7130 to 8703 on Verizon. The only good reason I can tell from first look is the screen.

I am hearing that there is a $100 rebate from RIM if buy in March getting my price down to $150.

Please let me know. Thanks.

whsbuss
03-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Other than the larger screen, are there any other noticeable enhancements moving from 7130 to 8703 on Verizon. The only good reason I can tell from first look is the screen.

I am hearing that there is a $100 rebate from RIM if buy in March getting my price down to $150.

The full QWERTY keyboard is a big plus!

albiesf
03-06-2007, 07:25 PM
The QWERTY keyboard is a big difference. The Suretype of the 7130 can be hit or miss so if you decide to go that route, you really should play around with it before buying. If you plan to send/reply to a lot of emails, the QWERTY of the 8703 will save you frustration and time. Suretype does work fine, but it can take some time to learn and get used to.

angelot
03-07-2007, 07:50 AM
What about the web browser? Has the speed improved? Other carriers already have an 8800 series. Do you think Verizon will wait another 12 months before coming out with an 8800?

Dubdub
03-07-2007, 08:32 AM
I just saw another post in the General section about the DST not working on the 7xxx and RIM had a trade up program. Might want to look into that as well.

albiesf
03-07-2007, 05:30 PM
What about the web browser? Has the speed improved? Other carriers already have an 8800 series. Do you think Verizon will wait another 12 months before coming out with an 8800?

I haven't had any speed issues with web browsing, and the speed seems pretty fast. As far as the 8800 or some variation on Verizon, there is talk of something Q2/Q3 this year for what it's worth.

deange
03-08-2007, 04:46 PM
mp3 ringtones, you can go to tuneusin.com and you can download true mp3 ringers, I have had the 7510, 7520, 7130 and now i have 8703 and I can say I love the QWERTY keyboard and the ringers, the nicer screen is a treat but otherwise. Suretype is arguably faster than QWERTY typing, i can do both very efficiently, however I worked for a wireless provider here in Canada for four years, so it was important for me how to do both, effectively. I love the 8703 and if you can get it for that price, I would.

angelot
03-08-2007, 05:00 PM
I am getting the runaround from Verizon on the $100 rebate. They won't give me a straight answer even though when I logon to my account it says I would get the rebate. have a strange feeling that the rebate would "go away" once I actually bought the product.

Hate how companies "bait and switch" with the crap like that and the consumer is unable to prevent companies like Verizon from doing that.

What do you think about the browser speed versus other units you have owned? Also, can you tell me if 8703 uses the same power adapter plug as the 7130?

I have it wired into my car and want to know in advance if I will need to change that.

albiesf
03-08-2007, 05:48 PM
I am getting the runaround from Verizon on the $100 rebate. They won't give me a straight answer even though when I logon to my account it says I would get the rebate. have a strange feeling that the rebate would "go away" once I actually bought the product.

Hate how companies "bait and switch" with the crap like that and the consumer is unable to prevent companies like Verizon from doing that.

What do you think about the browser speed versus other units you have owned? Also, can you tell me if 8703 uses the same power adapter plug as the 7130?

I have it wired into my car and want to know in advance if I will need to change that.

In terms of the rebate, I usually call customer service and they're good about giving me the rebate. As for the 7130/8703 power adapter plug, I believe they're the same. I used to loan my 8703 adapter to a colleague who had a 7130.

Anyone out there, if I'm wrong, please tell me.

SteveMRose
03-08-2007, 09:18 PM
I switched from a T-Mobile 7290 to a Verizon 8703e and love the new unit EXCEPT it eats batteries so fast I have to charge it every night.:-( I even got the Seidio extended battery and now I get two days instead of just one.

It appears CDMA/EV-DO really takes a lot of juice vs. GSM/GPRS/Edge 3 as one of my colleagues has an 8700c from T-Mobile on our same system and she gets over a week on the extended battery.

Browser speed is great, the screen is great and bright, and the Verizon coverage in the Mid-Atlantic region is much better than T-Mobile. I can actually sit in my family room in a suburb of D.C. and use my Verizon BB vs. the T-Mobile that was unusable.

So, in summary, the Verizon 8703e is great but be aware you will have to charge it frequently.

steve

angelot
03-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Do you think the 8703 could go an entire day without being charged? (say from 6am to 9pm)

The 7130E works that long but barely. Please let me know. Thanks.

dntnvme
03-09-2007, 08:56 AM
I had the 7250 and my director told me to take it back. I ended up getting the 8703 from verizon and I love all the unlimits this unit has. The older models seem to not have as much memory as the 8703 and the speed is a big jump from the 7250 I had. The screen is a plus, along with the ringtones, other apps etc. I really love my 8703. Just my 2cents, hope this helps,

Jay

dntnvme
03-09-2007, 08:56 AM
I had the 7250 and my director told me to take it back. I ended up getting the 8703 from verizon and I love all the unlimits this unit has. The older models seem to not have as much memory as the 8703 and the speed is a big jump from the 7250 I had. The screen is a plus, along with the ringtones, other apps etc. I really love my 8703. Just my 2cents, hope this helps,

Jay

dntnvme
03-09-2007, 09:19 AM
Sorry for the double reply, the internet froze and I thought it didn't post.

albiesf
03-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Do you think the 8703 could go an entire day without being charged? (say from 6am to 9pm)

My 8703 lasts until 10pm at night and I receive a fair share of emails as well as moderate use of the phone. My battery is usually about half done by that time, but this varies. I also do some web browsing, but not a lot on a daily basis. All in all for me, my BB lasts the entire day without having to recharge.

Ultimately, this really varies on your needs and uses as well as the signal strength in your coverage area. For weaker signal strength, the BB will use more battery power to search and maintain a consistent signal.

shurton
03-09-2007, 03:37 PM
I just went from a 7250 to a 8703e and I love it. It's in a whole new class from a 7250 and I'd definitely pay the $150 to upgrade.

Berry71
03-09-2007, 10:31 PM
On my third berry now...went from the 7280 to 8700r, and then to my nice new 8703e...love everything about it. As for battery usage, I get about 3 days with moderate usage until recharge time.

SteveMRose
03-10-2007, 09:40 AM

Certainly the 8703e will last until the night on the standard battery IF you do not make a lot of phone calls or receive a lot of e-mails. I happen to use mine extensively as a phone and receive over 300 e-mails a day, so my usage might be over what some consider "normal." Mine will go two days with this usage with the extended battery but the standard battery pooped out by 8 pm at night. I have a car charger and plug it in whenever I am in the car, especially when I am using it with Telenav GPS program.

That said, I love this unit- bright screen, great QWERTY keyboard, browser is fast with ED-VO, the Bluetooth works great with my special BB edition Plantronics Discovery 655 ear piece.

Just wish the CDMA system did not require so much more power than the GPRS/GSM systems- as I said, the same extended battery in a T-Mobile 8700c lasts a week under the same heavy usage.

steve

angelot
03-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Does anything the 8703 is worth buying now? Rumors suggest an 8800 Blackberry coming from Verizon in May. Is that product a step up from this one?

SteveMRose
03-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Does anything the 8703 is worth buying now? Rumors suggest an 8800 Blackberry coming from Verizon in May. Is that product a step up from this one?

There is no way to answer this. It depends on the real configuration of the 8800 and until it is out in the real world, we're not able to determine what it is or is not and how it will perform.

There will always be the next "latest and greatest" just around the corner so it really depends if you are willing to wait with what you have.

Except for the battery life, the 8703e is a great unit. Just get the extended battery from Seidio with the door and you'll be set for 1.5 to 2 days of heavy service without having to recharge.

steve