PDA

View Full Version : just want to play some music on my pearl

rdills
03-07-2007, 05:24 AM
i just got my pearl and i'm trying to copy music from my computer to the pearl ,itried just about everything .this just should'nt be that hard so i know its my lack of experience. can someone please break it down for me. my songs are on my windows media player 9 on my desktop

NJBlackBerry
03-07-2007, 05:35 AM
Do you have a micro SD card in the Pearl? Without that, it is very difficult.

So let's assume you do have one. If not, go get one.

You can move music to the Pearl one of two ways - I find the easiest way is to connect the BB to a PC, and it will ask if you want to use Mass Storage Mode; reply Yes and the micro SD card will appear as a hard drive on your PC, just like any USB hard drive would.

You can then copy the music over using Windows Explorer.

You can then play the music using the "Media" program found on the BB.

Good luck!

rdills
03-07-2007, 06:39 AM

You can move music to the Pearl one of two ways - I find the easiest way is to connect the BB to a PC, and it will ask if you want to use Mass Storage Mode; reply Yes and the micro SD card will appear as a hard drive on your PC, just like any USB hard drive would.

Good luck!
i followed your instructions and i can see the songs come up on my bb but when i try to open them it says unable to display file.

NJBlackBerry
03-07-2007, 06:41 AM
Well, what format are the songs? If they are iTunes, as an example, you can't play them.

MP3s play very nicely on the BB.

rdills
03-07-2007, 06:51 AM
Well, what format are the songs? If they are iTunes, as an example, you can't play them.

ok can you give me some go sites to go for mp3s that actually work on this phone. i would like to copy some of the music i already have(800 songs) but i'm desperate at this point

NJBlackBerry
03-07-2007, 07:43 AM
No, I can not give you MP3 sites. I ripped music straight off of CDs and it works fine.

Perhaps others can chime in here.

rouen1969
03-07-2007, 08:00 AM
A great site is MP3 Rocket... You pay a one time fee of $19.95 for one year and you have unlimited movie and music downloads!!! FANTASTIC! 8-)

Berryguy
03-07-2007, 09:40 AM
go to Limewire.com, download the free software (basic version is free, otherwise, the pro version is $18/-) then install this and you can then search thousands of artists, titles... this is a very cool site... 90% of the songs you find here are mp3's... check it out

Berryguy
03-07-2007, 09:42 AM
there are wma to mp3 converters out there in the market, try download.com, you can find trial and freeware...

beyondalegend
03-07-2007, 11:21 AM

Good luck!
When I put mine in mass storage mode m blackberry does not read it. It tells me that I now have to format the card, any idea why?

NJBlackBerry
03-07-2007, 11:26 AM
There have been a lot of posts about that - the only thing to do is format it on the BB and then it will work fine....

kankanman
03-07-2007, 11:32 AM
go to Limewire.com, download the free software (basic version is free, otherwise, the pro version is $18/-) then install this and you can then search thousands of artists, titles... this is a very cool site... 90% of the songs you find here are mp3's... check it out

yea limewire is a good prog and its fast too. though i been hearing over the radio lately that a lot of limewire users have been taken to court by the RIAA. when you got the prog up and running, they pretty much invade your shared folder and see what you got in it. if you got a hefty amount of songs and what not in there (say only over 300) there's a chance you could get a court order and sued

beyondalegend
03-07-2007, 11:33 AM
There have been a lot of posts about that - the only thing to do is format it on the BB and then it will work fine....
I've done that and it still does not work.

NJBlackBerry
03-07-2007, 11:36 AM
1GB? 2GB? Hmmm.....

beyondalegend
03-07-2007, 11:39 AM
1GB? 2GB? Hmmm.....
1Gb, If i format it in my bb then connect it to my pc and select mass storage mode, it works and I could add music. But when I disconnect it and try to play it, it says I have to format the card again.

TheBigNewt
03-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Try formatting it on your pc first (not quick format either) in a cardreader if possible. Then put it in the Pearl and format it again, then add music.

beyondalegend
03-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Try formatting it on your pc first (not quick format either) in a cardreader if possible. Then put it in the Pearl and format it again, then add music.
I've tried that, still no luck. I think my card is defective or something. Thanks for the help.

Schneider
03-07-2007, 01:36 PM
ok can you give me some go sites to go for mp3s that actually work on this phone. i would like to copy some of the music i already have(800 songs) but i'm desperate at this point

type in the name of the song or what you wan to download and hit GO
then you can download the file by- Right click- Save As

Link To the Site -
Blogdigger Media: Media Search and Feeds - The latest audio, video and images from millions of blogs. (http://www.blogdigger.com/media/index.html)

Realy good (: have fun

Schneider
03-07-2007, 01:39 PM
When I put mine in mass storage mode m blackberry does not read it. It tells me that I now have to format the card, any idea why?

no, but the same think happened to me.. and i did the format and everything was fine
i have a 256 Trans Flash

doxxie
03-10-2007, 02:28 PM
WMA to MP3 converters: Try Switch at NCH.com.au. That converter will convert different audio files for you. I also discovered that Windows Media Player can convert them, at least it will rip it in an mp3 format, maybe not convert once it's already done.

I'm still trying to figure all this out myself but I know the NCH.com converter works as I have used it and played the files on the BB.

DreamAngele
03-11-2007, 06:40 PM
See, that's what makes me really mad. I have an iPod and have since before I got my BB. But I F-ing paid for the songs right? Yet I can't get them to play on my BB (without a very round-about and time consuming conversion)

Any straight-forward conversions known?

rambo47
03-11-2007, 07:52 PM
There are no straight forward conversions. The whole point of DRM is to eliminate this and prevent sharing. If it's copy-protected then either spend the time to break the DRM or forget it.

carlitos2577
03-13-2007, 04:44 PM
I use Ares. It's free, and to me more user friendly. The main reason I use it is because it doesn't use up much memory on your PC. Do a google search type in Ares, boom, first link. I don't use any of my personal info on any file sharing site.

GregH-BBPearl
04-28-2007, 09:44 PM

I buy my itunes songs. No they can't be put "as is" on my phone. itunes has put DRM on the files and even after you pay them they do not remove it.

Now starting in May of this year they will begin to sell two levels of music and charge even more per song to remove that DRM. This will be .99 for DRM and 1.29 for no DRM. I will most likely just pay them the additional money because it’s much easier and they know it. Also, for a short time they will allow us to remove the DRM from songs previously purchased for .30 I will most likely just do this as well and they know they are robbing me. Thanks Steve!

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize they are ripping us off. Therefore I do what I want with the songs I pay for, as it is my right to.

YES they can be copied and then put to your phone. Itunes will let you burn an audio CD and then you use itunes to pull those back as .aac or .mp3 files and then you can use them on your phone.
Disclaimer: This is only legal if you have purchased your songs.

Yes it is legal; do not tell me that it is not.
Apple is screwing millions and breaking the very law they say they are following! Once you buy the music it is legal to use that music on your own devices.

swoosh0217
04-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Ok this shouldn't be this hardw first go to limewire and find any song. Type the song then add mp3 ex:I hate u mp3 and it will give u a bunch of I hate I song with an mp3 file. Once uve download plugged in your phone to pc. Go to my computer open d drive and should say blackberry foldreq open that and it will give I a bunch of folders like ringtone or music folder. Open music folder and dragged da song I downloaded to the music folder from da f drive.wait few seconds unplug da phone and look under media and select musicq it should be there...

brimart
04-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Just put music on the Pearl for the first time a minute ago, work perfect! thanks for the advice you "masters" give.
Kinda on the same topic, can I turn one of these mp3's into a ringtone now?? Just a thought.
****Nevermind just figured it out. Sorry for another dumb question, hitting my quota of them too early here.

Willie115
04-29-2007, 04:59 AM
Mp3's aren't that hard to find... why would we need to provide sites xD... anyways all you LimeWire users should know that installation file does come with a small adware that could grow into a big problem... as for P2P it's a warning that it is illegal and you could get caught with a hefty fine, I'd say go for something non mainstream if you still wanna risk it... as for DRM songs... I do not own an iPod and absolutely hate them but I'd like to own a song that has DRM so I could see if I can convert it or take out the DRM cause I have read a few I'd like to try... as you all know that when you burn a song that has DRM into a music cd it can't be regularly played... but they are rippable and when you use a special ripping program that does allow for format change say (WMA DRM into regular mp3) it removes the DRM, at the cost of codecs that mp3's do not play, yes there is a difference between WMA and mp3's... mp3's have some frequencies that WMA's cannot play and vise versa... as to regular humans that just listen to songs and do not listen to every thing you'd most likely not hear it... but like I said... I've never owned a DRM song in my life.

GregH-BBPearl
04-29-2007, 12:31 PM
It's not legal. Lime wire or any other shareware program.
I'm not judging, just saying that now days I buy my music from itunes and so I found a way to use the songs I pay for. I did my fare share of the mp3 downloading thing back in the napster days. I think I just began to see the other side. Plus, I make more now, so buying isn't that big a deal. The prices are .99 for a song and 9.99 for an album. I mean that's not bad. Just want to use them on *"all"* my devices once I buy. In a couple days we will be able to buy the DRM-free straight away from itunes. (Soon to be 1.29 a DRM-free.)
Works for me. I feel better about my usage towards the artist when I buy and I don't know about you guys but I listen to bands I like. So why not give them something?

southtexasgirl
05-04-2007, 08:01 PM

I formatted my card tried drag and drop, then tried media manager, and it didn't work for me either. I used mass storage mode too.

Even MP3s won't play on mine. I get the same message he did earlier.