PDA

View Full Version : 8800 as modem (tethered / dial-up)

philblum
03-07-2007, 12:39 PM
I am trying to figure out how to use the 8800 as a modem. I understand that it can be used either as i) a tethered modem or ii) as a simple dial-up. I am on Cingular, and the Cingular sales rep said that, with respect to using it as a tethered modem, we are supposed to sign up for the plan, but that there was a way to do it without signing up (but he wouldn't tell me any more). Any ideas?

Also, how do I set it up as a dial-up modem? I understand this is different.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Stinsonddog
03-07-2007, 01:32 PM
You can try and buy Sharkmodem - have it installed but have not tried it on my 8800 yet. Worked fine on the 8700. Or you can try the instructions in my tips sheet which were done before they offered the plan. If you do that, the minutes are likely to get charged at a data rate.

bcaslis
03-07-2007, 02:59 PM
I don't think there is any difference at least for bluetooth. Just pair it and set it up as a dialup modem. It will connect and run data over the EDGE connection.

acnst
03-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Sharkmodem is not necessary as the 8800 supports BT dialup modem profile.

Stinsonddog
03-07-2007, 03:47 PM
On my 8700 I got no data charges using Sharkmodem but would with a USB set up. I don't think BT would change that or am I missing something here.

bcaslis
03-07-2007, 04:12 PM
A connection via bluetooth dialup is a data connection. If you don't have unlimited data then it would something to consider.

Stinsonddog
03-07-2007, 04:32 PM
A connection via bluetooth dialup is a data connection. If you don't have unlimited data then it would something to consider.

Right and Cingular charges for the data that is done via dial up either under their dial up plan or outside of it, but I don't think its the same as the data under a BB plan. I would love to know the answer though. Of course why would the dial up plan exist if it were free under the BB plan?

chubby_nubby
03-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Anyone know when Cingular communication manager will be updated for the 8800? Also what init strings are needed to create a dialer manually?

bcaslis
03-07-2007, 09:25 PM
I did this previously with the Pearl under the BIS unlimited data and there wasn't any charge for the data outside the BIS plan.

Right and Cingular charges for the data that is done via dial up either under their dial up plan or outside of it, but I don't think its the same as the data under a BB plan. I would love to know the answer though. Of course why would the dial up plan exist if it were free under the BB plan?

Stinsonddog
03-08-2007, 12:23 AM
I did this previously with the Pearl under the BIS unlimited data and there wasn't any charge for the data outside the BIS plan.

Ok give it a run then. Post instructions and try it out and let us know if you get charged.

bcaslis
03-08-2007, 01:20 AM
I use a Mac and the instructions have been posted in the Mac forum here. This link http://forums.fibble.org/viewtopic.php?t=29 shows the full instructions. It's really exactly the same as setting up any phone via bluetooth except for the modem script. I would imagine it's similar under Windows but I haven't done it myself.

What I was trying to say in the previous post was that I had used the Pearl as as data modem with bluetooth on the BIS plan and there was no additional charge. The 8800 should be exactly the same but it would take a month to find out if there were any charges or not.

Ok give it a run then. Post instructions and try it out and let us know if you get charged.