PDA

View Full Version : BES Question

bob_az
03-07-2007, 03:44 PM
hello. i just got BES/Microsoft Exchange through a hosted service (themessagecenter.com). I have always had BIS, and am new to BES. So far it's amazing - I love it. but I do have some questions, and since I essentially control the account myself, i was hoping someone in this forum could help. forgive me if they are dumb! i have a BB 8700g on tmobile BES service.

1. everything syncs extremely well. there are some lapses in sync though with my BB unless i hit the 'reconcile now' button. it's not as if that is that big of a deal, but will it ever reconcile on its own without me having to hit the button? stuff will delete on my outlook and on my OWA simultaneously, but it won't delete on my BB until i hit 'reconcile'. likewise i will delete things on my BB and it won't delete anywhere else until i hit reconcile. wireless sync is on as i am receiving messages at all locations, contacts are syncing perfectly on bb and computer, etc.

2. subfolders. i'd like to create them in my main outlook (im running 2003) and then have them sync with my BB and with OWA. does this actually happen? and then, if i file something in one place, will it automatically file everywhere else? do i simply just create the folders in outlook and wait for them to sync?

3. are there any software add on's, etc., that allow you to read html files in your blackberry email account?

4. i have a few different email accounts, all go to my gmail, and then gmail gets forwarded to my own domain email. can be confusing at times, but it's the only way i can do it as the others only pop3. can i change the 'reply-to' option depending on who emails me or where it came from? or will my own domain always be the preset 'reply to'.

that's it for now - thanks in advance so much. i always had BIS and never knew the full power of the BB, and BES is amazing! all help is greatly appreciated to get me going.

Knocka
03-07-2007, 07:56 PM
I can try to answer some:

1. everything syncs extremely well. there are some lapses in sync though with my BB unless i hit the 'reconcile now' button. it's not as if that is that big of a deal, but will it ever reconcile on its own without me having to hit the button? stuff will delete on my outlook and on my OWA simultaneously, but it won't delete on my BB until i hit 'reconcile'. likewise i will delete things on my BB and it won't delete anywhere else until i hit reconcile. wireless sync is on as i am receiving messages at all locations, contacts are syncing perfectly on bb and computer, etc.

The BB will sunch every 15-20 minutes or so. It will also synch immediately if a change is made to a Contact or Calendar entry.

2. subfolders. i'd like to create them in my main outlook (im running 2003) and then have them sync with my BB and with OWA. does this actually happen? and then, if i file something in one place, will it automatically file everywhere else? do i simply just create the folders in outlook and wait for them to sync?

If you create them as subfolders of the Inbox, they will synch. If you create them in a .pdt folder they will not.

3. are there any software add on's, etc., that allow you to read html files in your blackberry email account?

Not that I know of. This is an annoyance with the BB.

4. i have a few different email accounts, all go to my gmail, and then gmail gets forwarded to my own domain email. can be confusing at times, but it's the only way i can do it as the others only pop3. can i change the 'reply-to' option depending on who emails me or where it came from? or will my own domain always be the preset 'reply to'.

I believe you can change the Reply to settings, perhaps using desktop manager or some other add-on software. I assume someone else here can help on this one.

Chris

takeshi
03-08-2007, 09:46 AM
First off, email does not sync on any BB -- BIS or BES. It will reconcile but reconciliation and sync are not the same thing. I know it sounds like nitpicking but there are distinct differences.

How long are you giving reconciliation a chance before hitting Reconcile Now? There can be delays up to about 15-20 minutes. Normally it's much faster for me.

OWA doesn't sync with Outlook or your Exchange account. It's basically webmail for Exchange. You're accessing your Exchange mailbox just as you are with Outlook -- only via a different entry point.

Filed and deleted mail will reconcile but you need to make sure that you don't permanently delete mail before reconciliation can do its thing. Also, BES can't reconcile mail moved into a PST as Knocka said.

You need a third party app to change the from/reply-to on a per-email basis. BIS integrated accounts default to the address of the account you integrated with BIS.

Can't you integrate the POP3 accounts directly with BIS or are you using gmail for spam filtering?