PDA

View Full Version : JVM Error 102 (7100i)

CletusJones
03-07-2007, 08:41 PM
I turned my BB off today and got a white screen with the text "JVM Error 102" on it as well as a reset choice. I tried resetting it several times to no avail, then googled the error message. From what I can find it seems as though I need only to reload the software on my device, however this seems to be problematic as the update manager can't connect to the device. It goes through and reads the information off of the device (the device displays some icons on the screen) but then after I pick all of my options (before reloading the OS) it can't seem to connect and I get the error: "the desktop loader cannot connect to the device" and am prompted to try again or cancel.

I've rebooted my workstation a few times as well as the BB, what can I do at this point? My last backup is about 2 weeks old but my address book hasn't changed much so I'm not too worried, I think I can edit the changes in manually.

edit: I searched the forum and didn't see anything other than "keep trying, it'll eventually connect." Is there anything I can do to help this process along?

CletusJones
03-07-2007, 09:35 PM
I got a javaloader from another bb forum and managed to wipe and then reinstall the OS. It looks like some of my stuff is missing though and I don't have any service books at all.

ezrunner
03-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Could be the device itself needs to be wiped using JL_CMDR. then reloading the operating system. There are plenty of posts about it! just search for JL_CMDR or Blackberry wipe

Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips

Search stinsons tips too

Wipe device with JL_CMDR before doing the following

1. Install Desktop Manager (You can skip this if it is already installed)
2. Install firmware package for your device on your pc (You can skip this if it is already installed)
3. Make sure Desktop Manager is not running
4. Start loader.exe for C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader
5. Click on Next in the Application Loader window
6. Remove the battery from your BB
7. Connect your BB to the USB cable
8. Reinsert the battery
9. The drop down list "Connection:" should now change from COM1 to either USB:UNKNOWN or USB:[BBPIN]. As soon as you see "USB:..." click on Next and Application loader should be able to reconnect to your device. Now you can reload the firmware.

As timing is important for this procedure, it can be possible that you will need to try multiple times Good luck

wdduck
03-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Take that handset to a Service Center and they will replace it. I have had to do two of them for customers. I might add I am a Sales Manager for a wireless dealer.

CletusJones
03-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Could be the device itself needs to be wiped using JL_CMDR. then reloading the operating system. There are plenty of posts about it! just search for JL_CMDR or Blackberry wipe

Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips

Search stinsons tips too

Wipe device with JL_CMDR before doing the following

1. Install Desktop Manager (You can skip this if it is already installed)
2. Install firmware package for your device on your pc (You can skip this if it is already installed)
3. Make sure Desktop Manager is not running
4. Start loader.exe for C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader
5. Click on Next in the Application Loader window
6. Remove the battery from your BB
7. Connect your BB to the USB cable
8. Reinsert the battery
9. The drop down list "Connection:" should now change from COM1 to either USB:UNKNOWN or USB:[BBPIN]. As soon as you see "USB:..." click on Next and Application loader should be able to reconnect to your device. Now you can reload the firmware.

As timing is important for this procedure, it can be possible that you will need to try multiple times Good luck
As mentioned in my previous post, I got the OS loaded after wiping with JL_CMDR but I'm missing some apps. I don't have any browser installed and it seems as though there are a few other things missing as well. Shouldn't these things have been reloaded with the OS?

ezrunner
03-08-2007, 08:38 AM
try registering you device on the network. go into options>HRT and select highlighted text and click that should register device and send the needed service books to device and should bring back the missing browser icon

CletusJones
03-08-2007, 08:43 AM
try registering you device on the network. go into options>HRT and select highlighted text and click that should register device and send the needed service books to device and should bring back the missing browser icon
I registered it a few times already. I even have the service books for the browser, just no browser. :???:

edit:
http://omg-stfu.com/temp/svcbook.JPG
http://omg-stfu.com/temp/apps.JPG
(copy/paste - owned by htaccess)

ezrunner
03-08-2007, 09:12 AM
try pressing the alt key and pressing the trackwheel and select show all icons perhaps the browser is hidden

CletusJones
03-08-2007, 06:53 PM
try pressing the alt key and pressing the trackwheel and select show all icons perhaps the browser is hidden
when I do that, all I get are the options to move or hide the application.

CletusJones
03-08-2007, 08:42 PM
I got it to work, thanks.

NoAhBoDy
03-08-2007, 09:14 PM
another option, that worked for me today, using loader, enter wrong password 10 times and the device will wipe itself...then you can connect.

had the same issue with not being able to connect...

NotReallyB
03-08-2007, 11:16 PM
I have run into the dreaded JVM 102 error a number of times on my 7100t. Wiping and reloading the OS has worked everytime.

This time the BES server at work pushed the DST patch causing a reboot of my BB and then the JVM error. When I reloaded the OS I also found that the browser was missing, but had no luck showing hidden icons.

Wiped one more time, and reloaded OS making sure to check all the appropriate boxes in the application loader. Everything appears to be back to normal.

I can't wait to upgrade once TMO releases the 8300 or 88xx with camera and wifi.

rehilliard
03-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Had a 7100i that had the JVM error.

Got all fired up to run jlcmder...but:

- downloaded 4.1.0.376 OS from nextel site
- installed on PC
- ran desktop mgr which detected update
- DID NOT backup anything
- applied update
- unit came back alive

Just passing it along...