PDA

View Full Version : Irritating Keyboard Un-lock

arjunrc
03-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Hi all, I have an 8800cc.
I press 'k' to lock my keyboard.

Now, when I try and unlock, I usually roll the track ball and it comes up with a 'unlock, emergency call, cancel' option list. When I press 'unlock', it again tells me 'keyboard is locked, press * send'.

This is rather irritating - my earlier 8700c allowed me to either unlock using * send or the tracker option.

Is there a solution ?
thanks

John Clark
03-08-2007, 10:26 PM
This is how it works with the trackball models. The Pearl is the same way. I guess they don't want you to accidentally hit the trackball twice while in your pocket and unlock it.

grape8pe
03-08-2007, 10:31 PM
If that's the case, why is there even the option then?

John Clark
03-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Don't know. One of the other moderators posted a thread about it on the Pearl to try and get RIM to fix it. Post in the thread. It wouldn't hurt to bump that one again.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion/54492-unlock-lock-menu-os-4-2-need-your-help-please-read.html

takeshi
03-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Why not just hit * Send until they address this?

arjunrc
03-09-2007, 04:51 PM

Hi, that is what I am forced to do now. There are two reasons why this is a problem:

a) I am on the road a lot in my day-job and need to make many calls while driving. Having to unlock the phone with * send needs you to look at the phone, while pressing the pearl twice can be done by feel

b) The very fact that I am presented with an option to unlock via the pearl, only to find it doesn't work is irksome. But the real reason is a)

regds

archer6
03-09-2007, 06:46 PM

This is exactly what I do. No big deal.

Cheers :)

hey
03-09-2007, 10:57 PM
What do you mean you use 'k' to lock the keyboard? I use alt-enter but that does not alway seem to work on the 8800.

Is there a keyboard lock shortcut I am missing?

tia,

fonejunkie
03-09-2007, 11:05 PM
just lightly and quickly tap the 'K' key and voila, your keyboard is locked.

Sparkomatic
03-10-2007, 12:12 AM
a) I am on the road a lot in my day-job and need to make many calls while driving. Having to unlock the phone with * send needs you to look at the phone, while pressing the pearl twice can be done by feel

b) The very fact that I am presented with an option to unlock via the pearl, only to find it doesn't work is irksome. But the real reason is a)

I definitely agree with you on B. I press and hold mute to put the BB in standby. I do alot of driving too and putting it in standby works well for me. Once it's in standby, you can press either the power or mute key to take it out of standby.