PDA

View Full Version : Email management

jwerges
03-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Hello,

I got an 8700c about 3 weeks ago, and set up two e-mail accounts. XXXXXXXXX@<hidden>, and one for my pre-existing e-mail address from my ISP. I am not using BES, and before I could install the desktop software and set up reconciliation, my desktop computer's hard drive got fried. Now I am receiving massive amounts of email and I can't figure out how to manage my inbox. Is there any way to create folders on the BB w/o using any reconciliation? If I delete messages from my handheld right now, will they still be on the server when I am able to get a new desktop? I can't even figure out how to create e-mail folders for my XXXXXXXX@<hidden> address.

Thanks in advance for any help.

JSanders
03-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Check the setup on your POP email webmail acct to make sure email stays on there, no deletion in XX days. Your BB push email will not cause deletion of your mail on the POP account. There are already folders on your BB for xxx@<hidden> address, it is probably just hidden. You can't create new folders on your BB.

Good luck getting a your desktop back up to par.

jwerges
03-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the info. So basically, if I understand the process right, my BB is severely crippled until I can get reconciliation with a new desktop going (with regards to e-mail management).

Also, how can I unhide the storage folders on my Blackberry.net address. Is that the only true push e-mail address?

Dubdub
03-12-2007, 07:54 AM
The only way to reconcile that I know of is via BES.

JSanders
03-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the info. So basically, if I understand the process right, my BB is severely crippled until I can get reconciliation with a new desktop going (with regards to e-mail management).

Also, how can I unhide the storage folders on my Blackberry.net address. Is that the only true push e-mail address?

Your Blackberry is not severely crippled, it seems to be operating just fine, it's your desktop with no hard drive that is the problem. As Dubdub said, there is no mail reconciliation on BIS, that has nothing to do with your problem as you describe it.

Unhide an icon by holding the ALT key while you click the trackwheel, scroll to and click SHOW ALL. If you have a hidden folder, it will appear, BUT it is going to have all the same messages you already have in your general messages folder.

jwerges
03-12-2007, 09:13 AM
So, even if I install the desktop software on my new desktop (when I get it), I still won't be able to sync Outlook calendars or e-mail foders because I'm not using BES. Is that correct?

JSanders
03-12-2007, 09:28 AM
On BIS setup, you cannot sync mail and messages. You CAN sync calendar, address book, tasks, and memo notes.

jwerges
03-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Now I'm confused. What about the BlackBerry Mail Connector pc software? After looking at the FAQ on the sister site, it looks like this software will help with syncing e-mail. I appreciate all of the help for a rookie. The people at my local Cingular store (and Cingular tech support, for that matter) have been pretty much worthless.

Dubdub
03-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Now I'm confused. What about the BlackBerry Mail Connector pc software? After looking at the FAQ on the sister site, it looks like this software will help with syncing e-mail. I appreciate all of the help for a rookie. The people at my local Cingular store (and Cingular tech support, for that matter) have been pretty much worthless.

Mail Connector is for Lotus Notes, I think. Google is your friend!

Using Desktop Manager, you can synch calendar, contacts and to dos with Outlook via Intellisynch. You have to configure Intellisynch, but that is relatively easy. You cannot synch email unless you are on BES. If your company does not have it, then you can sign up with one of the BES providers for a monthly charge. Do a search on here for "hosted email". I think a couple are sponsors of the site.

JSanders
03-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Jwerges, I really don't think syncing mail, right now, is your problem, it is getting your desktop back up and running and your Outlook loaded and running. At that time, ALL of your mail while your desktop was down SHOULD come flowing like a flood into your Outlook, since you last checked mail in Outlook. Because I don't believe your BB will flag your POP mail as "download and delete from server" it will all be there.

If am wrong as to your needs, pls correct me. This is just what I have "pulled" from reading this thread over the last couple of days.

jwerges
03-12-2007, 07:36 PM
It is true that my lack of a desktop is a big problem right now. All of my e-mails are coming in to my BB. If I could access my Outlook right now, I would go in and file the e-mails that I want to keep or need to take action on (to get them out of my inbox). Since I am not sure when I will be able to get a new desktop, I wanted to be able to access all of my Outlook folders. That is why I was wondering about syncing e-mail.

I just don't like the fact that it takes so long to scroll through all those messages in my BB inbox, to find the message I'm looking for.

jwerges
03-12-2007, 09:04 PM
More Berry drama. All of the sudden, my data is not working. I can use the phone, but no e-mail or internet. I called Cingular-they said no problem with the data network. I took my battery out and reset-no dice. I am getting very frustrated. Does anyone else have this problem with the Cingular data network?