PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry 8800 Messenger: How do I reinstall?

Darren Arcane
03-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Good evening boys & girls,

I finally received my Blackberry 8800 today from Vodafone UK, and I've hit a snag.

When attempting to add contacts on Blackberry Messenger, I noticed with the new 4.X.X.X version built in; I wasn't able to send requests via PIN - only by email.

In an effort to bypass an annoying struggle, I downloaded and installed the messenger version available on Blackberry Help.

After downloading, the 1.X.X.X, the application doesn't show up on the home screen (although it does show it as installed in the application list).

I've also now done a master wipe and no messenger is installed.

So, I now have no messenger and I'm slightly stumped as to what to do next. I did some searching on Google & the official Blackberry sights; and I cannot find a download for the new Messenger version; nor can I find a download of the whole 8800 software to reset the pre-installed settings.

Does anyone have a solution? (Keep in mind I'm not too familiar with Blackberry coding; so any workarounds involving editing the OS might need to have a walkthrough included.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Darren

LunkHead
03-12-2007, 08:00 PM
go to blackberry mobile . com from the BB and download it again :)

OR reinstall it from desktop manager :)

Darren Arcane
03-12-2007, 08:04 PM
go to blackberry mobile . com from the BB and download it again :)

Thanks LunkHead,

to add insult to injury; my browser is getting an error when trying to access that URL!

Is it hosted anywhere else?

Cheers,

Darren

Darren Arcane
03-12-2007, 08:09 PM

I tried that - the desktop manager doesn't have anything to support the 8800 through the application loader...

LunkHead
03-12-2007, 08:41 PM
enter mobile.blackberry. com with out the space....

Darren Arcane
03-12-2007, 08:56 PM
enter mobile.blackberry. com with out the space....

This is the Blackberry Messenger site I used before. It has version 1.0.94. Once you download this version; it displays in the application list - but does not generate as an Icon on the Home screen.

So I am *assuming* that this version isn't compatible with the 8800?

I've checked all the official sites, and they have no downloads available for the 4.X.X version that comes preinstalled with the 8800.

The horror.

moleman2k
03-12-2007, 09:12 PM
This is the Blackberry Messenger site I used before. It has version 1.0.94. Once you download this version; it displays in the application list - but does not generate as an Icon on the Home screen.

So I am *assuming* that this version isn't compatible with the 8800?

I've checked all the official sites, and they have no downloads available for the 4.X.X version that comes preinstalled with the 8800.

The horror.

Only the 4.x.x version will work on your device. you need to download the handheld software to get it back.

As for requests by PIN, can you send regular PIN messages?

Darren Arcane
03-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Only the 4.x.x version will work on your device. you need to download the handheld software to get it back.

I figured as much.

I checked out the Blackberry software downloads page; and they don't list the 8800 under Vodafone UK. So I expect I'll be spending 4 hours on the phone with RIM in Slough, Surrey, UK tomorrow - trying to get someone to send me the install file.

That or I'll have to dig deep into my Kitchener, Ontario contacts and see if they have the Vodafone OS...

So much for going shopping in Soho tomorrow :(

Darren Arcane
03-12-2007, 09:37 PM

Yeah, I can send and receive PIN messages, I just can't access the messenger...

John Clark
03-13-2007, 12:20 AM
What is the OS version that you have installed on your 8800? There are two versions out for download right now. They are 4.2.1.72 and 4.2.1.73. The .72 is the Cingular version and the .73 is the O2 version, I believe. If you have either one of these then you can install the matching one, and then delete the vendor.xml file and you should be able to reinstall the Messenger using Desktop Manager. Delete the 1.0.94 version first.

Darren Arcane
03-13-2007, 07:10 AM
What is the OS version that you have installed on your 8800? There are two versions out for download right now. They are 4.2.1.72 and 4.2.1.73. The .72 is the Cingular version and the .73 is the O2 version, I believe. If you have either one of these then you can install the matching one, and then delete the vendor.xml file and you should be able to reinstall the Messenger using Desktop Manager. Delete the 1.0.94 version first.

The version on here is 4.2.1.68, which I assume is the Vodafone Version.

Darren Arcane
03-13-2007, 07:59 AM
So to give people an update who might be interested;

I've spoken to RIM in Nova Scotia and they've confirmed that the Hardware Vodafone is selling right now are all promo units - and they weren't even aware that Vodafone was selling the promo units.

I've spoken to everyone in customer service @<hidden> vodafone, and no one has a clue what they're talking about. I finally reached someone who knew what they were taking about - and they're getting someone in their department to email me a link to where I can download the new messenger.

I'm not even sure if this is going to work; if it doesn't; they've already agreed to send me another one tomorrow at no charge. So at least they're willing to replace the device due to lack of competence.

Spraggle
03-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Hi there....

I posted the following message on another forum, but it looks like you guys are having the exact same issue.. but here is a summary anyway:

-----------------------
The basic summary of the issue is that we have a Blackberry 8800 that will not display or access the Blackberry Messenger application, although it's installed.

Detailed issue:

User was given a brand new Blackberry 8800 which they used for a short time, used Blackberry Messenger application on it fine, but then after copying over things from their old Blackberry they suddenly weren't able to use Blackberry Messenger.

After trying everything with this Blackberry they gave up and bought a brand new Sim Free Blackberry 8800 from Vodafone. Put the new Sim in and connected to the net. Downloaded the Blackberry Messenger application and it showed up in the Installed Applications list - but not on the home screen.

Somethings I tried:

- Showing all applications on the home screen, didn't work
- Went into each module of Blackberry Messenger and set to Allow
- Restarted the phone
- Deleted the application
- Downloaded new service books
- Reinstalled the application using the Desktop Manager... still nothing

When plugged into the Desktop Manager software the Blackberry Messenger does show up as being installed... I just still can't access it!

I've called Vodafone and they've really not been helpful... a last resort is to call Blackberry and almost pay the cost of the phone to speak to their tech team... so I thought I'd appeal for help on here.....

Messenger version 1.0.94
Blackberry OS v4.2.1.68

Cheers.
-----------------------------

So as the last post on here was the 13th of March, has anyone got any updates on this situation or what I can do about it? The user has left me the old blackberry, and I have the settings backed up to a laptop, but there is no SIM in the phone.. so I am unable to access the net..

I have downloaded the application to the handset again, but it's still not showing up... Any ideas?

Spraggle

John Clark
03-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (BB 9930t: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The 1.0.0.94 version of Messenger won't work. It will show in application list but will not be visible on the device. Delete it and install the messenger application included with the OS from Desktop Manager.

Delete any Messenger versions from the device. Then follow these instructions:

Make sure your Desktop Manager is up to date. (4.2 SP1).
Download and install the OS version that matches the OS on the device.
Plug in BB and start Desktop Manager. Run Application Loader and check the box for BlackBerry Messenger.
Finish the installation.

That should put BB Messenger back on the device.

Spraggle
03-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Hi there,

Sorry for being a bit noobish John, but where do I get the version of Messenger that matches the OS? Is that on the Blackberry site? or on the install CD?

Spraggle

John Clark
03-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (BB 9930t: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Install Desktop Manager.

You need to download the entire Operating System package and install it to your pc along with Desktop Manager.

Then plug in the BB and use Application Loader to install it.

BB Messenger is included with the OS. Package. The OS package is not on the CD. Get it dom your carriers website or search the forums for it. I'm mobille or I'd post a link.

Spraggle
03-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Hi John,

I've just discovered the correct UK Voda software and it's downloading... I already have the latest Desktop software, so in a few mins I'll be good to go...

One last question... there is data on this Blackberry that I would like to backup first, like contacts and suchlike.... You sorta implied that I could just select to install Blackberry Messenger rather than the whole OS (or was that hoping too much?)...

.. so what I need to know is whether I will be overwriting the Blackberry with the whole OS, or can I just replace this one application from the OS package?

Thanks again

Spraggle

John Clark
03-29-2007, 05:06 PM

As long as you are loading the same OS that is already on the Device then you'll be able to just install Messenger. If its a newer OS then what is on the phone then it will want to install the newer OS.

Spraggle
03-29-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks John, it worked perfectly!

All the applications were listed as installed - apart from Blackberry Messenger.... Loaded it on and it showed up right away!

I salute you sir!

Spraggle

bglawrence
04-16-2007, 09:46 PM
one thing I have found that works well but can be a pain is to simply wipe the phone and get it factory default (which would include the messenger you originally had. Backup data first and then elect which data you want to restore. Easier then searching for all the software and OS versions. justa thought

awat50n
10-28-2007, 10:13 AM
I have a Pearl but have had the same problem as the original poster - i have found that Vodafone hides the icon for BB messenger even though it is installed. When in the application list press the menu button then select 'switch application'. Messenger will be in the list of running applications and you can access from there. Alternatively you can go into emails and from there messenger is in the menu.

If you choose a different theme than the standard Vodafone theme the icon for messenger will appear in the application list... It seems that Vodafone is trying to steer its users away from using messenger (maybe because they want people to text instead at 10pence a message...!)