PDA

View Full Version : VPC Access with a Blackberry

hrmaddie
03-13-2007, 11:47 AM
My wife (a professional) is going to purchase a PDA/phone. Her needs are synching, email and being able to VPN into the company's server, Microsoft. She was told by a colleague the the blackberry O/S would not be able to do this and she would have to get a PDA/phone that was running Windows Mobile. I am not a networking type of guy, but I figured if you could access the internet with a blackberry you probably could VPN. Anyone know if you can VPN into a remote server via a blackerry.

bertiebassett
03-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Yes (and No!)

What do you/she want to achieve by VPNing in that she doesn't get in sync and email - is this access to files on shared folders/servers in the company? What does she want to do with that data?

Has she spoken to her IT department - do thay have a policy of supporting x or y?

I use my BB for secure access 'behind the firewall' i.e. to log onto servers and re-boot, change config options etc...VPN not required...

tobyw
03-13-2007, 04:59 PM
If she's looking for access to e-mail and the only way the corporation provides that is over a VPN connection it may be that the person she spoke to is correct. As bertiebasset says, she is best speaking to her IT department before laying down any cash on a device.