PDA

View Full Version : Web browsing

Kevin McN
03-16-2007, 09:44 AM
I have a Nokia E61/62 smartphone and a blackberry 8800. On the Nokia, the browser displays web pages exactly as they appear when browsing on a desktop computer using for expample Internet Explorer or Safari. When using the blackberry Browser or Medianet to browse, the web pages are reformatted to look different from how they appear on a computer or the Nokia.

Is it possible to configure the blackberry browser to display web pages as they would look on a computer or on the nokia? Alternatively, are there third party browsers that can do this? If this cannot be done on the blackberry 8800, what makes it possible on the nokia?

Cheers

ZeroKool
03-16-2007, 09:49 AM
The nokia has a native Internet explorer (which is what most all sites are designed for). The blackberry has a custom app that runs off java and can do some javascript coding. The blackberry converts the web page the best it can to fit on your screen.

I dont know of any other apps out there for the BB that act as a browser. To me, it's not really meant to surf the internet on. Maybe read some articles, but that's about it untill they up the hardware and start throwing 3g into them.

Kevin McN
03-16-2007, 12:37 PM
In the BB, when you select Option, Browser Configuration and Emulation Mode, you are presented with various options. What do these do? Aren't they supposed to make BB behave more like a web browser on a computer?

DiRN
03-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Have you tried Opera Mini? http://mini.opera.com

Jo5329
03-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Opera is fine, but the functions are clunkie and worse you can't email links - which I do to read later. Then it stopped working so I deleted it.

takeshi
03-30-2007, 12:16 AM
Just choose Desktop View in the browser. You can even set it to be the default. No need to mess with Opera Mini. It's a fine browser but they apparently aren't going to bother to properly adapt it to the BB.