PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to use duplicate SIMs in 2 different phones?

andrewufl
03-17-2007, 12:32 AM
I want to be able to use my "weekend phone" and my normal phone without having to switch sim cards.

If I buy a duplicate sim card, will I be able to use both devices without having to switch the cards?

I would imagine I can't use them simultaneously, so I would have to keep one phone off at a time.

Hayden-san
03-17-2007, 07:30 AM
Hello,

Logically, your question makes perfect sense. Like you say as long as only one mobile (sim-card) is active at the time, then only one number and IMEI will be posted on the HLR.

About 3 years ago, with your exact same thought in mind, (have a weekday phone, and a smaller weekend phone) I asked my provider if it was possible. I got the short answer, no.

I too would be very interested if someone has managed, or knows if this is possible.

Thank you for asking the question.

Hayden.

Dubdub
03-17-2007, 08:29 AM
That is kinda like having one line and two phones. My guess is that carriers want you to have 2 lines and 2 phones since they make more money.

andrewufl
03-17-2007, 01:07 PM
That is kinda like having one line and two phones. My guess is that carriers want you to have 2 lines and 2 phones since they make more money.

When you think about it ..it should work, because as long as the phone one is off, the minute you switch on the other phone, the network only sees one phone.

s1m
03-17-2007, 01:58 PM
I want to be able to use my "weekend phone" and my normal phone without having to switch sim cards.

If I buy a duplicate sim card, will I be able to use both devices without having to switch the cards?

I would imagine I can't use them simultaneously, so I would have to keep one phone off at a time.

Yes, it'll work.

andrewufl
03-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Yes, it'll work.

Have you tried it yourself?

When I got to the tmobile store, will they just give me a replacement for free or will I have to pay for another?

s1m
03-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Have you tried it yourself?

When I got to the tmobile store, will they just give me a replacement for free or will I have to pay for another?

I don't speak without knowing, so please don't offend me again.

andrewufl
03-17-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't speak without knowing, so please don't offend me again.

Wow, ::insert flame war:: you didn't answer my question.

Will tmobile give me a replacement sim for free?

s1m
03-17-2007, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=andrewufl]Wow, ::insert flame war:: you didn't answer my question.

John Clark
03-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Since s1m is worried about being offended and not answering your question I'll tell you what I know.

I don't think TMobile will just give/sell you another sim card so you can have two. They will cancel one and provide you another one in the even that you lose your phone. I've never tried to get a second one. There are sim duplicators that can do this but I doubt TMobile will do it for you.