PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry arrives Friday - Verizon setup?

MarkHolbrook
04-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Hi all,

I've been looking throught the FAQ and posts but something still isn't clear to me. My Blackberry arrives on Friday (I hope) and I'll have to call Verizon and change from my LG phone over to it.

What other services does verizon need to setup for me?

1) Blackberry unlimited data plan (this I got from the FAQ)
2) Do I still need "Mobile Web"? Doesn't seem like it.
3) I don't have a corp server of any kind but I do have my own email server. Do I need redirector or can I just have my email server push mail to the blackberry email address? (does verizon assign that?)

Any others Verizon needs to setup?

Thanks - Mark

pdecrem
04-21-2005, 07:52 AM
I personally like the web client better than redirector

https://webclient.blackberry.net/WebMail/Window.jsp?site=vzw

and you can get access of your email through the web. No wireless syncing of calender and address book though (and limited to 25 meg of email, so setup aging rules).

When you get the blackberry enter device id and send service book. Don't try to do both redirector and webclient, it messes up internet access (tcp/ip)

BGCapt10
04-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Read this and let me know if you have any other questions.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=6676

You'll setup an account using http://www.blackberry.net/go/vzw. This is the account which immediately gets pushed to your BB. From here you can setup other accounts to be polled and pushed to your BB. You're other option is to set your pop accounts to forward messages based on rules to youraddress@<hidden>. You would choose the WebClient installation of your Desktop Manager software to do this.

The other option (assuming you're not using a corporate BES) is to use the Desktop Redirector which has to remain running with Outlook. This will forward all messages from Outlook to your BB, and all messages sent from your BB will appear to come from the Outlook account. You would choose the Desktop Redirector installation of your Desktop Manager software to do this.

-David

MarkHolbrook
04-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks guys! I'll check that all out!

MarkHolbrook
04-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Ok it got here...

Did an account at vzw.blackberry.com and setup my mail server to redirect messages to it. All working fine.

I downloaded and installed pocketday-bb thinking it was like the today screen in WinCE type devices and it is but you have to run it rather than it coming up by default.

Also on my mine the stock portion is reporting:

java.io.IOExceptions Bad DNS Address. Anyone know what that is about?

I also tried using the brower that came with it to log into hotmail. Doesn't work. Has problems with java again.

I guess I'm confused. The BB says it is java enabled. Will I have better luck with a brower like ReqWireless?

Thanks!

MarkHolbrook
04-22-2005, 10:39 PM
Ok... I got the hotmail working... sort of... I can log in via mobile.msn.com but I can't seem to get email alerts to work. I do have hotmail plus.

Oh well.. keep digging.