PDA

View Full Version : Content Protection? Do I really need it?

MountainTopCO
03-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Does the BB device have a default encryption with out setting up Content Protection? If so, what is it?

We are debating if we realy need Content Protection. We have some user needing HIPAA complience. So I need to know what the default ecryption level is. If it is high enough, we won't have to turn on Content Protection and save outr user's some hassles.

ladydi
03-19-2007, 05:24 PM
This is something I would be interested to know as well. We have HIPAA to deal with too.

MountainTopCO
03-19-2007, 06:15 PM
If some one will post the default encryption level of a BB hand held device, I will be able to post if it meets HIPAA regs.

patrickh
03-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Check the BB security white papers:

BlackBerry Security (http://www.blackberry.com/products/enterprisesolution/security/)

MountainTopCO
03-21-2007, 06:05 PM
The security white papers I looked at did not state the encryption level for data on the device. Only the default encryption level for transmission (256 AES).

Does any body know the default level of encryption for the data on the device. I would appriciate it very much.

patrickh
03-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Without content encryption, the default encryption for data on device.. is without content encryption :)..

tsac
03-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Content protection will encrypt your data. there is no protection otherwise. It will slow down access by a few tenths of a second. BB's are lost all the time. You should activate the password as a minimum. when content protection is active and the password is miss typed, the unit is wiped and content protection will prevent any backups from being used to look at your data.

The level of protection you need is up to you.
Remember , data can be remotly pulled from the BB by the IT department. I for one don't want to take any chances.

ShaneToronto
03-22-2007, 01:54 AM
I would love to activate content protection, but the down side seems to be that incoming calls do not display caller id information matched to the phone book, but rather the raw caller id information as it is sent by the phone company.

when my phone rings, i like to see it matched to my phone book.

MountainTopCO
03-22-2007, 05:02 PM
I appriciate the information. However, I spoke with a BB tech support guy a while back and he told me there was a default encryption level for the data on the device with out content protection.

Are you guys sure there is no encryption by default? I was under the impression there was some level, I just didn't know what that level was.

Thanks,
Steve

Wishdemon
03-22-2007, 06:17 PM
I use the club....if it works for a car, why cant it work for a bb???:razz:

Medic48
03-23-2007, 10:37 AM
It depends which club your using... The auto club may not work, but if you use the method where you wait until someone picks up your bb and club them... That might work :razz: :razz: :razz:

--Phil

Tadly
04-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Unless you're forcing a password, who cares what the default level of content compression is?

Edit : content protection, not compression.

gonavyblue
04-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Unless you're forcing a password, who cares what the default level of content compression is?

The compression onboard the device seems very strong anyway.

JoeIndy
04-05-2007, 10:53 PM
I would love to activate content protection, but the down side seems to be that incoming calls do not display caller id information matched to the phone book, but rather the raw caller id information as it is sent by the phone company.

when my phone rings, i like to see it matched to my phone book.

I have content protection enabled on my Pearl, and my Caller ID -> Address Book Lookup works just fine.

Password: Enabled
Content Compression: Enabled
Content Protection: Enabled
Strength: Stronger
Include Address Book: Yes

omkhar
04-06-2007, 02:26 PM

yeah, club works GREAT in cars.... till the thief saws through the steering wheel and slides it out.

omkhar
04-06-2007, 02:30 PM
BlackBerrys use AES-256 encryption for data at rest on devices which have content PROTECTION. They can also operate in FIPS compliant mode. So long story short, yes it does protect HIPPA sensitive data at rest. However, I'd be curious to see how/if the audit requirements could be satisfied

PS I have personally seen random JVM errors while having CP enabled, but it could just be me.