PDA

View Full Version : Error 718 when Tethering

netPOSER
03-20-2007, 09:29 AM
I've posted this same problem in a few different places on the BB forums but so far no one can figure this out.

I've successfully setup my Pearl as a modem following directions on this forum and other forums. But I have 2 8800's that continually get "Error 718" after the "verifying username and password dialog.

I've verified the modem string and went through every setting to match it up with the PC's I use my 8100 on, and they are all the same.

I've tried manually entering the DNS's as one of the other posts mentioned to do when you get a 718 error...but still the same error.

I've called Cingular but they want to sell me a tethering plan, but since my Pearl connected on the BB Unl. plan I'm not sure I'm ready to fork out another $30+ for a few hours of tethering here and there.

I've even looked through out Cingular bill to see if there is anything different in the plans, but they are all the same (BB Unl.).

sonydude23
03-20-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm interested as well since i get the same error.

takeshi
03-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Good luck. Officially you need the tethering plan. Hopefully they won't catch you as they per-use rate is really expensive.

cookes713
03-21-2007, 08:18 AM
you using DUN or a connection software (i.e., Cingular Communication Manager)???

netPOSER
03-21-2007, 09:43 AM
you using DUN or a connection software (i.e., Cingular Communication Manager)???

DUN. Using BB as a modem (tethering)

cookes713
03-21-2007, 01:35 PM
DUN. Using BB as a modem (tethering)

I would make sure that cingular has your right apn's. If you only have the wap apn, device may try to connect through the ISP settings..if you only have the wap apn, that could be one of the reasons that you are seeing this issue. I would try to reach out to Cingular and ask if you account only the wap apn or if you also have the isp apn

netPOSER
03-21-2007, 03:10 PM
I would make sure that cingular has your right apn's. If you only have the wap apn, device may try to connect through the ISP settings..if you only have the wap apn, that could be one of the reasons that you are seeing this issue. I would try to reach out to Cingular and ask if you account only the wap apn or if you also have the isp apn

I noticed on one of the 8800's, internet.com is the apn.

On our BES, under TCP Policy Group, all 3 items are blank under that particular 8800's IT Policy.

I noticed on another thread you should use the AP as the phone number--does that make sense?

chubby_nubby
03-22-2007, 03:24 PM
What should the APN be set to? I have the unlimited BB data plan with tethering. I found a cingular communications manager for vista which installs, I go through the wizard and I get error 718 Do I need to change the APN ?

netPOSER
03-22-2007, 03:30 PM
What should the APN be set to? I have the unlimited BB data plan with tethering. I found a cingular communications manager for vista which installs, I go through the wizard and I get error 718 Do I need to change the APN ?

We changed the APN on our BES and still the same erorr.

So far there is no answer to this problem. argh...