PDA

View Full Version : Verizon - BES - Tethering

JohnJohn
03-20-2007, 11:16 AM
First off I searched. :D

My bride has an 8700 series BB from Verizon issued by her company.

Does the BES service provided by Verizon allow for her to tether and get to her office VPN and MS Exchange, etc?

Can I just download the "VZ Access Manager" on her laptop and give it a wirl?

Thanks,

kirwoodd
03-20-2007, 12:16 PM
First off I searched. :D

My bride has an 8700 series BB from Verizon issued by her company.

Does the BES service provided by Verizon allow for her to tether and get to her office VPN and MS Exchange, etc?

Can I just download the "VZ Access Manager" on her laptop and give it a wirl?

Thanks,

I would. If it doesnt work, no harm, no foul..

Dubdub
03-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Verizon should have nothing to do with IT Policies that the company puts on, unless of course she works for Verizon. The company provides BES, not the cell carrier.

Since it is a company device, she should ask the IT staff. They wouldbe the ones to set it up any way.

Verizon Access Manager is only for the data cards, not BBs, as far as I know.

JohnJohn
03-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Verizon should have nothing to do with IT Policies that the company puts on, unless of course she works for Verizon. The company provides BES, not the cell carrier.

Since it is a company device, she should ask the IT staff. They wouldbe the ones to set it up any way.

Good to know. I wasn't setting aside any time to test this before she needs it, guess I'll be doing that.

Thanks for the reponses so far.

ZeroKool
03-20-2007, 01:26 PM
You will have to call Verizon and have them add another service to the BB account. I can't remember what it's called but the 1X that's in the corner of the BB changes to a 1XEV. I guess it's EVDO. But it costs like an xtra $15 a month. I dont think it's included in the BB plan, but I cant be sure.

kelvin
03-20-2007, 01:40 PM
I use Verizon BB tethering. It does use Verizon Access Manager. You have to call and get Verizon to provision your BB plan (extra $15 per month) to allow tethering. Then download the software and install. Follow the set up process and you are ready to rock and roll. One of the things I found out doing research is that the BES can restrict by poilcy the ability to tether (setting on the BES). I would contact your IT admin and ask them if they allow tethering. Also, I was in a Verizon presentation and they have a business level VZ Access manager that can force you to use VPN. Luckily, we are not using this one.

takeshi
03-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Whether you can tether or not on a Blackberry data plan is determined by the carrier.

dbdynsty25
03-20-2007, 02:02 PM

As mentioned above, the 8703e works with the VAM...it's the software that comes with the phone that allows you to tether.

deo59
03-20-2007, 02:14 PM
I have an 8703 from Verizon and Kelvin is correct. You need to add tethering to your plan, I think it is called BB connect. Then download the vzaccess software to your computer and you should be working. The connection flies if you are in a good reception area.

Good luck

miles512
03-20-2007, 08:33 PM
I called Verizon inquiring about tethering assuming there would be an additional fee. They told me that there would not be any additional fees since I had the unlimited data plan. I haven't tried it yet since I found it unusual that Verizon wouldn't charge more for this. I also assumed that the person I spoke to had no idea what they were talking about. I might call and get a second opinion.

dbdynsty25
03-20-2007, 10:16 PM
I called Verizon inquiring about tethering assuming there would be an additional fee. They told me that there would not be any additional fees since I had the unlimited data plan. I haven't tried it yet since I found it unusual that Verizon wouldn't charge more for this. I also assumed that the person I spoke to had no idea what they were talking about. I might call and get a second opinion.

You better...

I'm willing to bet your BB will not even be able to connect to the server anyway...they have to provision it. When they do that, they add the 15 dollar charge for tethering. Mine didn't work until I called and had that provision added.