PDA

View Full Version : Where was your 8800 built and what is the build quality?

GoFrogs
03-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Trying to find out if there is a pattern on build quality and issues and where the handset was built. Might give insight for those of us having issues.

dooks88
03-21-2007, 01:06 PM
no issues here...mexico (voted)

archer6
03-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Canada, no issues...:smile:

greggebhardt
03-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Mexico, no issues

fonejunkie
03-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Mexico... also no issues. (voted).

hf1khal
03-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Made in Mexico. One thing was that i had the squeek, but a switch of the battery cover fixed al of it and now no squeek at all and all is great.

SoxFan
03-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Handheld made in Mexico. Accessories made in Canada, China, Japan.

I can say I have a hard time opening the back.

H3LLFIRE
03-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Mexico, no issues. Very solid build, no random resets to note, fantastic feel to keyboard (nice and snappy).

Viva Mexico!

MaxT32
03-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Made in Mexico, squeaky sides, but not very squeaky. Oh and it missing its camera. :)

GoFrogs
03-22-2007, 07:19 AM
Made in Mexico. One thing was that i had the squeek, but a switch of the battery cover fixed al of it and now no squeek at all and all is great.
I may be confusing the issue, but my experience with the squeeky sides is on both sides top to bottom particularly around the USB. I think "squeek" isn't an accurate term-- more like "crunchy". I could see how a new battery cover could fix a real squeek if the bottom part was rubbing, but this feels like ---the side pieces are snapped in place, then glued. So when you first get the handset it is rock solid but the glue doesn't hold. This feels like the side pieces now have some "play" in them which results in the noise. Is this different that what you mean?

GoFrogs
03-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Preliminary results seem to point to Mexico having a better build quality, but Squeeky/Crunchy sides are an issue on over 1/3 of the handsets.

paulmac
03-22-2007, 07:31 AM
Canada, good feel to the keys, and no squeaky sides. (voted)

sean76
03-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Mine was made in Mexico, keyboard feels fine, no cold resets so far, but the SQUEAKY sides have bugun last night. It's Definitly something that RIM should look into and correct. In my opinion the 8703e that I own feels much more durable with better build quality!

Kane317
03-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Mexico here, squeeky/crunchy sides. Doesn't bother me much since I love this phone too much.

scotth
03-22-2007, 05:31 PM
voted
Mexico
squeeky sides now - didn't out of the box

archer6
03-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Mexico here, squeeky/crunchy sides. Doesn't bother me much since I love this phone too much.

While mine is silent my friends 8800 developed the noise. Here's how I fixed it for him.

I very carefully applied some WD-40 in the gap between the side plates and the body of the phone. If you use it lightly, there is no chance of harming anything, and WD-40 does not affect any electrical circuitry. Also the propellant evaporates to leave just a fine film of lubricant behind.

That was 10 days ago, and it's still completely silent. Any housing made from plastic is bound to move when gripped and this is a proven way to stop the noise of the two dry plastic surfaces creaking when they move.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!

sean76
03-22-2007, 06:08 PM
My girlfriend has the Pearl and the sides have the same chrome plastic sides as the 8800.she's had it for a couple of months now and not a squeak.I think Rim just dropped the ball on build quality for the 8800's.

archer6
03-22-2007, 06:19 PM
My girlfriend has the Pearl and the sides have the same chrome plastic sides as the 8800.she's had it for a couple of months now and not a squeak.I think Rim just dropped the ball on build quality for the 8800's.

Actually that's not the case at all. Pearls also have been known to have this same issue as have many other brands of cell phones. Just because your girlfriends phone is quite, it's only one of thousands that are being built and sold.

One must remember that of course we are going to hear about the noisey ones here, as not every owner of a BlackBerry posts on this forum. It's kind of like the service department at the car dealership, of course they are only going to see the cars with problems, the rest are out there happily driving around.

I have owned more than 40 phones and can tell you that creaks from plastic bodies on the phones are not unusual. Plus it's important to remember that the phone comes with a warranty. If it's that bad, just send it back for another.

Finally remember that's the reason that all products have warranties, because there is not such thing as a perfect product when they are mass produced. These are complex devices and therefore you are going to encounter some which will have issues.

Rim is one of the best when it comes to quality control, and build quality. Perfect? No, Excellent? Yes.

Cheers....

GoFrogs
03-23-2007, 09:34 AM
archer6 - I think the 8800 is pretty solid. I just think I have a "bad" one and will probably return. However, I do agree with sean76 that the squeeky/crunchy sides are a poor design or build. I have had close to as many phones as you and am used to the "squeek" like the 8700 has. This is directly related to the plastic used and the rubbing like you mentioned. The 8800 sides seem to get worse over time and actually "pop" away from the housing. I don't see a big gap (YET!), but every time I pick up my phone, the MONK side of me feels the sides "crunch" in and out. I guess it is a mute point if you change phones often, but I believe the 8800 sides will become worse over time.

SoxFan
03-23-2007, 09:50 AM
I dint know what squeeksa you quys are talking about. Mine seema pretty normal.

sean76
03-23-2007, 09:54 AM
Like everyone else here,I really luv RIM'S phones.
Blackberry is second to none when you really think about the positive aspects.Yes,with mass quanity it's real tough to produce a perfect device, but the Squeaks are annoying.And a lot of people seem to notice it begin after a couple of days with the phone.In any event, I luv the product as a whole.This should be the worst of all our problems! At least we have the 8300 to look forward toooo. Great thread Go Frogs.

GoFrogs
03-23-2007, 10:21 AM
I dint know what squeeksa you quys are talking about. Mine seema pretty normal.
Pretty well documented in this thread:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/66097-squeeky-side.html

Mine was rock solid out of the box, but after 2 days I heard a slight crunching on the sides when handling the phone. It started at the top mostly around the usb. Over the next few days it is top to bottom on both sides. When you are holding the device on the sides as you normally would, I can squeeze (lightly) and feel the plastic move in and out --- almost like a crunchy cheap button or something.

osv2005cont
03-24-2007, 08:50 PM
my phone was made in Mexico and it doesn't squeak

GoFrogs
03-25-2007, 04:25 PM
While I'm not sure of the statistics, it almost looks as if you have a 50/50 chance of getting a problem free BB. That's not too good although Squeeky sides get the vast majority of the issue vote, which I'm sure RIM could resolve. Some of the new people making purchases are having issues, so it is not something that has been corrected in production. Also, the Mexico BB seems to have a higher likelihood of having no problems but still have their share.

GoFrogs
03-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Ordered a new one from Amazon today, hoping it was made in Mexico!

SimonMac
03-27-2007, 07:36 AM
Canada, keys are responsive and "clicky", sides squeek and locks randomly.

EvilSailor9
03-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Mexico, no issues.

archer6
03-27-2007, 04:49 PM
While I'm not sure of the statistics, it almost looks as if you have a 50/50 chance of getting a problem free BB.

With all due respect, I believe this "guesstimate", may be a bit harsh and judgmental. A blanket statement that may have been made without the benefit of a fact based survey.

The percentage of BB users that belong to and report on this forum is a very small number in comparison to all the new BB's deployed in companies and used by individuals world wide.

It's human nature for a lot of people to be prone to complain. And conversely those who are perfectly happy with their BB's are out there enjoying them and not writing in.

I would prefer to read an accurate report based on facts. After all the BlackBerry is and continues to be the preferred, proven, world class mobile corporate and now public communicator.

Cheers....

GoFrogs
03-28-2007, 08:04 AM
With all due respect, I believe this "guesstimate", may be a bit harsh and judgmental. A blanket statement that may have been made without the benefit of a fact based survey.

The percentage of BB users that belong to and report on this forum is a very small number in comparison to all the new BB's deployed in companies and used by individuals world wide.

It's human nature for a lot of people to be prone to complain. And conversely those who are perfectly happy with their BB's are out there enjoying them and not writing in.
I respect your opinion and thought process and don't entirely disagree. In my defense, I did say I was not sure of the statistics due to the "closed" nature of the sample (many years since my last Stats course! :) ) All the issues seem to be very small in #'s even here (where you would expect them to be higher).

The only one that seems to be consistent is the squeeky sides and it seems to be a large # of blackberryforums users (50% is high even for a forum, don't you think?). I think this forum is very pro-RIM (and I'm one of them) but this issue seems to be affecting quite a few. While I think many are prone to "complaining" as you say, that is not what I'm doing. I am in search of some information. I really wanted to see if I was just unlucky which I would have been fine with -- even the best company in the world cannot be 100% on Quality Control. Or secondly, I wanted to see if maybe I should avoid the Canada production models when I replace mine (which arrives today, btw). I think I got both of those answered and it will hopefully help the next person who runs into some issue.

Honestly, if you see the reaction I get from people who ask to see "the latest BlackBerry". It goes from excitement to a puzzled look when I hand them the device. When you hold it on the sides they squeek/crunch and flex in like it is going to break. One person asked me yesterday if I wasn't sure they were going to fall off.
Lastly, I don't really understand this comment:
I would prefer to read an accurate report based on facts. After all the BlackBerry is and continues to be the preferred, proven, world class mobile corporate and now public communicator.
Aren't we supposed to be exchanging thoughts, ideas, help, commentary etc? The vast majority of information on this site is personal experiences, thoughts, and biases, not reports based on facts. If I'm wrong here, then the mods need to disable polls as they will NEVER be facts based statistics.

archer6
03-28-2007, 01:39 PM
I respect your opinion and thought process and don't entirely disagree. In my defense, I did say I was not sure of the statistics due to the "closed" nature of the sample (many years since my last Stats course! :) ) All the issues seem to be very small in #'s even here (where you would expect them to be higher).

The only one that seems to be consistent is the squeeky sides and it seems to be a large # of blackberryforums users (50% is high even for a forum, don't you think?). I think this forum is very pro-RIM (and I'm one of them) but this issue seems to be affecting quite a few. While I think many are prone to "complaining" as you say, that is not what I'm doing. I am in search of some information. I really wanted to see if I was just unlucky which I would have been fine with -- even the best company in the world cannot be 100% on Quality Control. Or secondly, I wanted to see if maybe I should avoid the Canada production models when I replace mine (which arrives today, btw). I think I got both of those answered and it will hopefully help the next person who runs into some issue.

Honestly, if you see the reaction I get from people who ask to see "the latest BlackBerry". It goes from excitement to a puzzled look when I hand them the device. When you hold it on the sides they squeek/crunch and flex in like it is going to break. One person asked me yesterday if I wasn't sure they were going to fall off.
Lastly, I don't really understand this comment:

Aren't we supposed to be exchanging thoughts, ideas, help, commentary etc? The vast majority of information on this site is personal experiences, thoughts, and biases, not reports based on facts. If I'm wrong here, then the mods need to disable polls as they will NEVER be facts based statistics.

Thank you for your well written post !

I agree with you on many of your points and stand corrected, as in retrospect I was a bit off base thinking purely fact based.

As you mentioned the core purpose and great benefit of an outstanding forum like this one is to provide us with a place to share personal experiences etc.

I remain a very loyal, happy BlackBerry Forums member and Thank You, Go Frogs, for your positive input.

Cheers.....:smile:

GoFrogs
03-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks archer6! Cheers to you too!

I too remain steadfastly loyal!!

My new BB arrived today and it was made in Mexico. Hoping for the best!

jbaumgartner
03-28-2007, 03:19 PM
How do I find out where mine was built?

GoFrogs
03-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Only place I know is on the side of the box. It either says Made in Mexico or Made in Canada.

GCI-CrackBerry
03-29-2007, 12:00 AM
Made in Mexico with squeaky sides! And slippery as hell!

sean76
03-29-2007, 09:09 AM
I agree GoFrogs,I handed my phone to my Dad to use yesterday and he gave me a look like ???. It just feels like a really cheap device and it's all because of the extremly loose crunchy sides.
My pops noticed it right away,
and he's not even that into this stuff. So I would hope this is something that gets fixed in the building stages by RIM. As of now, my 8800 is going on Ebay. My trusty 8703e
Is coming out of retirement until the 8300 drops.

sl0ppyshat
03-31-2007, 08:45 PM
Mine squeeks like crazy and freezes all the time. I think i should call cingular for a replacement

8Clappin
04-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Mexico - squeaky sides, right side of screen higher than left, loose battery cover, w key doesn't work much of the time, random freezing

My replacement can't come fast enough.

8Clappin
04-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Only place I know is on the side of the box. It either says Made in Mexico or Made in Canada.

If you remove the battery, the label underneath says where it's made